Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk signs new 5 year contract!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's really not like us to do new deals when there's 4 years to run. Must be something more to this...? Lesson learnt on Stephens possibly going for free? Hopefully doesn't mean there's a buy-out clause! Would be nice if Dunk can stop getting linked elsewhere for a few years now...

That won't happen unless we reach the Premier league. In fact if he kicks on at the same rate this year as he has the last couple he'll be gone next year if we don't go up, maybe gone even if we do go up. He is a rock, a class player .A bit like Rio Ferdinand, there is always the chance of a brain freeze moment but 90% of the time he is immense. Big clubs want players like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's our very own John Stones. Accomplished on the ball but sometimes a little overconfident, and often has an expensive rickett in him. But he's only going to get better as he matures and eradicates the errors from his game. Good to see us tying him down on a long-term deal, it'll definitely take silly money to prise him away now.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lesson learnt on Stephens possibly going for free?

Massive gamble for Stephens if he does not sign a contract. He is probably losing £10k+ per week as well as missing out on a potentially massive promotion bonus. A career threatening injury would see him in a lot of financial trouble as I'd imagine his contract offer would be withdrawn and he'd end up like Hoskins. He needs to do a 'de Gea' and get over the disappointment and sign the contract. He could even have a 'guaranteed premier league next season' clause if his agent was clever enough.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Massive gamble for Stephens if he does not sign a contract. He is probably losing £10k+ per week as well as missing out on a potentially massive promotion bonus. A career threatening injury would see him in a lot of financial trouble as I'd imagine his contract offer would be withdrawn and he'd end up like Hoskins. He needs to do a 'de Gea' and get over the disappointment and sign the contract. He could even have a 'guaranteed premier league next season' clause if his agent was clever enough.

Agreed. I'm sure if Stephens does sign there will be a buy out clause in there...

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Keep Knockaert happy and he will sign. He loves the club

Jimmy Grimble

There are many that you feel have the potential and when one comes good we soon remember that it was always obvious, but generally it never is.

I think he turned heads in the FA youth cup game against Everton at Withdean, it seemed to catapult him from one of a few with a chance to Gus and his staff promoting him quite quickly after that.

I get what you are saying, but he was one who was markedly better than any other youngster we had around that time.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Total guesswork here but here's my two pence. Maybe he had a contract that allowed him to speak to clubs once offers of a certain value were made and/or it us a nudge to other players that we are willing to pay decent money to high acheivers. Good luck to the lad there were plenty on here and amongst the wider Albion community that would've been happy to sell him to Fulham last season. He is one of the bestate young English centre half's and his best years are ahead of him.

Interest from the other Albion - who've since signed James Chester and not lost Johnny Evans - meant we knew we had to pay up to keep him.

Those making a Stephens comparison I would say Dunk is far more marketable and therefore valuable. A young two footed English centre back with arguably 8 more years at the top level and certainly yet to hit his peek, remind me what did John Stones move for in the end? Exactly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That'll pay for his nice new house.

We know he still has the odd mistake in him, but they're getting rarer.

He was outstanding at Newcastle: heard a lot of home fans commenting about him afterwards.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Brilliant news. Nice one Tony et al. :)

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I wonder if he gets a clause triggered to 'match' high earners. Last season I expect someone signed on more than he was and we just signed Duffy for big money. It would make sense from the club's end to have it worded 'lewis will be offered a new deal to match incoming higher earners but contract will be extended by 1 year.

I know that's a bit complex compared to just matching the wage but is sort of thing that must be possible. Would be sensible from the club. Higher wage if he accepts but no signing fee. I know there are player and team 'options' in lots of American contracts, I'm always amazed deals don't include them more over here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Noone is mentioning March who I think
Is also at the end of his contract...

I'm fairly sure he's been offered a new contract recently.

Hastings, I don't think it's a trigger from other contracts, but because he had an offer from a Prem club, even though it was just them up the road.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Noone is mentioning March who I think
Is also at the end of his contract...

Its been mentioned at least a couple of times over the summer that he is negotiating a revised deal but in no rush as he has 2 years left

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here