Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk rumors

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If we can get a £5 mil offer today, who not keep him and insist they up the price? I mean, we're losing players fast, and he scores all our goals atm. Way may need to keep him, but it's interesting.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
There was a Lewis Dunk rumour I heard (from an unnamed source), and that was he taught Churchill how to attack and defend. It was his efforts than won us WWII.

Sounds like something Jeremy Clarkson would spout during the ". . . Some Say . . ." routine on Top Gear.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Players careers are short, and they could pick up a career ending injury at any time so it may be the only chance they will ever get to play in the top flight so why would they want to stay here (or any other Championship level or lower team) instead?

They may be happy and settled here and not really wanting to go but it is just too go an opportunity to turn down and hence why they go.

If you were attempting to sign players and said to them that if a Premier League team were interested in signing you, we'd tell them to get lost and you will be here until your contract expires, meaning they are very unlikely to make it to the top flight should we fail ourselves - would they sign for us?
This careers are short thing annoys me. It doesn't matter how long or short your career is. If you're a 23 year old car salesman with a decent track record at a local Ford dealership, if you get headhunted by a Jag or Porsche dealership you're going to move on! There is prestige attached to playing PL football as well as the pay packet.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There was a thread about Ulloa roughly this time last year, when he was injured and there were rumours of PL interest in him. People were saying he was average, would be out of depth in PL, and if we were offered £5m should snap their hand off. We got £8m.

£5m for Dunk seems low to me. Here you have an English centre back (important in fulfilling homegrown rules) who can play a bit, has a few goals behind him and with plenty of years to develop. I'd be looking at this as a Sunderland, Stoke, West Ham, Tottenham as a young defender I could sign and mould into a top class defender. Didn't Chambers go for about £11m? I think when we sell, we'll be getting £7m+ for him.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This careers are short thing annoys me. It doesn't matter how long or short your career is. If you're a 23 year old car salesman with a decent track record at a local Ford dealership, if you get headhunted by a Jag or Porsche dealership you're going to move on! There is prestige attached to playing PL football as well as the pay packet.

The careers are short thing is more relevant in football because they only play for about 10 to 15 years as professionals, and very few of them near the highest level they will reach in the career.

They may suffer a career ending injury at any point or one that means that they don't recover and return as the same player ability wise afterwards.

So using the car salesman example you have used. This person may have been offered the opportunity to work at the Jag or Porsche dealership when he was 20, (they may gamble on his potential but it may not work out there) If he stays, he may still be selling cars upto the age of 65 /66 /67 meaning he has potentially 45 years + to get that move and as his career goes on, he becomes more experienced at his job and potentially a better signing for the Jag or Porsche dealership.

Footballers can suffer injuries that can affect their ability or end their career when they are young, as they get older they get slower (wear & tear on the body) and experience can only make up for so much. Football is a physical game and a players peak is long before the end of their careers whereas car selling isn't and injuries are less likely in the work enviroment, and if they were to be injured, salesmen are much more likely to be able to carry on as before after they heal and still work until retirement age.

If football wasn't a short career, why are there no professional footballers over 45 and very few aged 37, 38, 39... There are rare examples of players still in the top flight at around the age of 40, Sherringham & Giggs for example, but they played there almost all their career, and it's even less likely that players who haven't played there getting the opportunity in the twilight of their career so yes, a player given the opportunity earlier in their career (23 or so) should and would want to take the chance

That is before you even talk about wages. If they do play there and flop, they are still likely to command a higher wage as they drop back down the leagues because they have been a PL player so therefore deemed a better player which always attracts a premium. If they do go and are successful, they have longer in which to earn a higher wage throughout their career than if they went there later so the financial incentive is also there to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here