Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk rumors

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes lets sell him, he is probably the only player left currently, that we could get a big fee for. Let him go then us fans won't have to worry about losing our young star players, we wont have any.

Solly March and JFC

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
That is the concern though isn't it. Any player with a decent value has been sold. The club will tell you they didn't want to sell them and they didn't need to sell them but once their head is turned they don't have a choice. If we get a bid for Dunk and refuse it, no doubt his head will have been turned so we'll sell him. How hard do we try to keep players once the bids come in?

John Byrne is the last player I remember getting transferred who actually wanted to stay here.

This is the issue for me, I feel like at times they think we are all mushrooms's and feed us bullsh*t and it has got to a point I never know if to believe it or not.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
£5m is a joke for a player who had a to be subbed off at half-time as we was so bad a few games ago?

He's a good player, could be a very good one but he's a had a couple of very poor games this season, I can't believe a club would pay £5m for him

Woozerz your a bundle of joy, you should be happy a player we brought through the ranks can command such a fee....... I hope your not part of our negotiation team......

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That is the concern though isn't it. Any player with a decent value has been sold. The club will tell you they didn't want to sell them and they didn't need to sell them but once their head is turned they don't have a choice. If we get a bid for Dunk and refuse it, no doubt his head will have been turned so we'll sell him. How hard do we try to keep players once the bids come in?

John Byrne is the last player I remember getting transferred who actually wanted to stay here.

Players careers are short, and they could pick up a career ending injury at any time so it may be the only chance they will ever get to play in the top flight so why would they want to stay here (or any other Championship level or lower team) instead?

They may be happy and settled here and not really wanting to go but it is just too go an opportunity to turn down and hence why they go.

If you were attempting to sign players and said to them that if a Premier League team were interested in signing you, we'd tell them to get lost and you will be here until your contract expires, meaning they are very unlikely to make it to the top flight should we fail ourselves - would they sign for us?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Our last "asset" of significant value. The cupboard will be pretty bare if he does get a PL chance.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Solly March and JFC

JFC may do one day but at present I don't think he is consistent enough to attract interest from the Prem and as for March, his 27 appearances last season was not enough for clubs to make multi million pound bids. But if both continue to improve, they could be maybe next season's installment towards FFP.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So someone may be bidding for one of our star players in the near future and you want to talk the price...DOWN?!?

Surely you'd want the club to get the best possible price (if they were to sell) and therefore should be talking the price up, just like Palace did with Zaha and other clubs do all the time with their players

I don't get why people are always appearing to be so negative about our players and their market value. (Ulloa for example and numerous others on here)

I'm not negative, I think £5m if far from a joke for Dunk, i'm not sure how that is controversial or negative.
He's played 15 games in the championship in the last two season, some brilliantly, some very poorly, mostly good. I can't see how that equates to £8-10m player to anyone unbiased or delusional

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
West Ham would be a dreadful choice - assuming Allardyce is still the manager. "What are you chesting it down for!? Get fooking rid!" "Stop fannying about with it. Hoof it"

Arsenal is clearly the obvious one. Fits in perfectly with both their playing philosophy and their track record of buying up young English talent - Oxlade Chamberlain, Jenkinson, Walcott, Chambers, etc, etc

Or maybe not, HKFC. Not according to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29730838

Liverpool could do with a bit of stability at the back, so maybe he COULD end up in the North West?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The club will tell you they didn't want to sell them and they didn't need to sell them but once their head is turned they don't have a choice.

This is the issue for me, I feel like at times they think we are all mushrooms's and feed us bullsh*t and it has got to a point I never know if to believe it or not.

Surely it's in our best interest for potential signings to see us as a way to get into the top flight, this means that we either have to get promotion (very difficult task whatever the season, not just this) or for the player to be aware that we are willing to let a player go to a PL club should a decent offer come in for them.

This can mean that instead of people moaning about selling on these better players, we would never have signed them in the first place and may not have done as well in the league our self over the years. Every player wants to play at as high a level as they can in their career and will move on if a bigger club comes in to buy them and the price is right (Man Utd selling Ronaldo to Real Madrid, etc) very few clubs are right at the very top of the pile and not have their players willing to leave them if a bigger club expressed an interest or tried to buy them.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm not negative, I think £5m if far from a joke for Dunk, i'm not sure how that is controversial or negative.

Then why say this?

£5m is a joke for a player who had a to be subbed off at half-time as we was so bad a few games ago?

You certainly didn't seem to imply he was worth £5m or more in that original post did you? Hopefully this explains why your post is coming across as negative

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Surely it's in our best interest for potential signings to see us as a way to get into the top flight, this means that we either have to get promotion (very difficult task whatever the season, not just this) or for the player to be aware that we are willing to let a player go to a PL club should a decent offer come in for them.

This can mean that instead of people moaning about selling on these better players, we would never have signed them in the first place and may not have done as well in the league our self over the years. Every player wants to play at as high a level as they can in their career and will move on if a bigger club comes in to buy them and the price is right (Man Utd selling Ronaldo to Real Madrid, etc) very few clubs are right at the very top of the pile and not have their players willing to leave them if a bigger club expressed an interest or tried to buy them.

I agree with the letting players go if they have a chance to improve and I agree it is hard to keep players once their heads are turned. My issue is that when we let them go at great profits, are we then buying players with the same potential with the chance of getting a good sell on fee? We have sold Noone, Barnes, Bridcutt, Ulloa and Buckley none of whom came through our ranks, what have we replaced them with. O'Grady, McCourt, Baldock, Toko and the closest in my view with potential of getting a future profit Hola.

matt

Mar 19, 2007

Agreed. In our current position as a Championship club, any very good player we sign/produce is either going to spend his prime years at a better club or only join us when his best is behind him. Enjoy them whilst we can I guess :)

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Agreed. In our current position as a Championship club, any very good player we sign/produce is either going to spend his prime years at a better club or only join us when his best is behind him. Enjoy them whilst we can I guess :)

So these players only joined us when their best was behind them Noone, Barnes, Bridcutt, Ulloa and Buckley ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Then why say this?

You certainly didn't seem to imply he was worth £5m or more in that original post did you? Hopefully this explains why your post is coming across as negative

Read it again, it has a question mark at the end.
Someone said £5m was a joke. I queried why £5m was a joke

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He's our only real asset now...He'll be worth a lot more in a year or so
Maybe someone will offer us £5 million for JFC as he's so highly rated by many:facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Radio Sussex worded it earlier as "We want to keep hold of our better players". But this time around, Dunk would appear to be the only player of any interest to a Club with more money. All the rest have already been sold or allowed to leave.

If Dunk was allowed to leave, then the football side of the club would be so lacking in ability and quality, in complete contrast to the state of the art stadium and training facility. A strange state of affairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here