Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk abusing fans?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be honest after the mistake and then that ludicrous back heel **** up shorty after (what was he thinking) I domt blame them for the ironic cheer when he finally got one right. I did and I wont beat myself up about it.

Sadly I now spend games with heart in mouth everytime Dunk has the ball. Its back to brain fart lewis from our first champ season. Difference is he is no longer inexperienced.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good on him. Those 'ironic cheering' are clueless fuxkwits who don't know how to support the team. What did they think that would do to his confidence..?

Well said.

I saw some plank on Twitter say that Dunk shouldn't play for the team again if this rumour was true.
FFS :mad:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He needs to man up.

Club has stuck by him, as have most of the fans. He rarely claps supporters after GOSBTS as they get ready for KO, okay not a big deal, but it is noticed that the other players generally acknowledge the support. In dealing with young fans, I've seen him first hand repeatedly not wanting to stop for young supporters, and begrudgingly doing it when he does. Almost all our other players smile, and enjoy giving the young fans the thrill of meeting their heroes. He strikes me as not exactly being the sharpest tool in the box.

He's in the wrong job if he can't take a bit of stick, even from a 'few' of his own fans - and seriously, we are talking a very small number. Get your head down Lewis, and just prove any doubters wrong, swearing at the crowd is just showing a loss of control like you had at Loftus Road.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He needs to man up.

Club has stuck by him, as have most of the fans. ....In dealing with young fans, I've seen him first hand repeatedly not wanting to stop for young supporters, and begrudgingly doing it when he does. Almost all our other players smile, and enjoy giving the young fans the thrill of meeting their heroes. .

[tweet]599633290606305281[/tweet]

[tweet]585828180356898816[/tweet]

[tweet]585788557790470144[/tweet]

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've got no problem with the ironic cheers.
I've got no problem with Dunk having a pop back.
I have got a problem with the stupid mistakes Dunk constantly makes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There was some talk of this in the train queue maybe it was a response to the ES "ironic cheering" when he took a pass a few minutes later rather than at the time of the goal itself. The talk may of course have been regarding the tweet rather than witnessing something.

Maybe somebody has just made it up to try and start up a hate campaign

Well, it looks as if this somebody may have succeeded, hence this thread.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've got no problem with the ironic cheers.
I've got no problem with Dunk having a pop back.
I have got a problem with stupid mistakes Dunk constantly makes.

Correct as always, 8ace. Why do people get their knickers in a twist over meaningless cack like this?

The mistakes he's been making are hopefully something he'll sort out though just as David Stockdale has done. I think long term, he's a good player and he could easily play in the top division when top of his game. If Wes Morgan can be the cornerstone of a side near the top of the Premier league and Tommy Elphick can play there for a side that will avoid the drop, then Dunk can certainly make it, especially considering last season's form.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Note I didn't say he was always like that, nor could I claim he is perhaps he is nice as pie outside a match day - I clearly said my own first hand experience of him, which in fact has been reasonably frequent over the years as a resident of the family stand. Maybe I should take a pic of him being moody and tweet it as evidence?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Correct as always, 8ace. Why do people get their knickers in a twist over meaningless cack like this?

The mistakes he's been making are hopefully something he'll sort out though just as David Stockdale has done. I think long term, he's a good player and he could easily play in the top division when top of his game. If Wes Morgan can be the cornerstone of a side near the top of the Premier league and Tommy Elphick can play there for a side that will avoid the drop, then Dunk can certainly make it, especially considering last season's form.

He's great header and tackler, but he's played over 100 games now - he needs to start engaging his brain sometime soon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's great header and tackler, but he's played over 100 games now - he needs to start engaging his brain sometime soon.

Absolutely this.

None of our centre backs are perfect. Goldson looked pretty good last night so we'll leave him out of this but, for the rest, I see it like this. Take Dunk out and we are vulnerable in the air. Take Greer out and we are less organised but have better pace and passing. We are always vulnerable at CB at the moment due to this. However, Uwe cannot get taller and Greer cannot get faster. All Dunk needs to be Premier League quality is to concentrate for 90 minutes and think about what he's doing. Not a hard ask is it?

Doesn't excuse fans giving him stick though. Get behind your team FFS.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Just had a chat with a Season Ticket holder in East Lower, right in front of where Dunk was when the Ironic Cheer occurred.

He's adamant Dunk said nothing at all, but did give a bit of a Paddington Bear hard stare.

Was just in front of me - He did more than stare - definitely told people to F off.

Disappointing to see so close to the family stand. Can understand his frustration with people getting on his back but that kind of thing is not going to help himself.

Needs to be dropped when Greer is back imho - not because of the swearing but because his form has been poor recently. Given his constant lack of concentration for 90 mins he is too much of a liability. At his best he can be our best centre back. However he has rarely been at his best this season and when he has been he still has a crazy mistake in him. Due to that he would be my current 4th choice CB (if everyone else was fit).

Having said that due to injuries he is in the team and needs fans to support him as much as possible during the game and not get on his back.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It goes with the territory for me.

How many of us would aspire to be a pro for BHA playing at the Amex in front of 20 odd thousand people every week on 15k a week? He is 24 years old, not 14 - Graeme Smith was captaining the South African cricket team at the same age.

Maybe the crowd shouldn't have had a pop but its passion for us. We are having a great season and are all spending our hard earned cash to come and see the team and no one can deny the support at the Amex last night was excellent. There is the perception in the crowd that Dunk's mistakes are starting to have a serious effect on our promotion chances and I for one agree with that (although accept others don't).

On this basis, I think Dunk needs to remember what a privileged position he is in, act professionally and keep his mouth shut.

Even if you're correct, getting on his back is hardly likely to help and, as we haven't got any other fit centre-backs of anything like Dunk's quality, it's pretty dim.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Was just in front of me - He did more than stare - definitely told people to F off.

Disappointing to see so close to the family stand. Can understand his frustration with people getting on his back but that kind of thing is not going to help himself.

I am so glad I was brought up watching football at the Goldtstone in the different parts of the ground, where I could hear grown men with quick come backs and clever remarks and yes some swearing towards ours and the other teams players.

I cannot think of a more sterile and boring introduction to the passion of football than a 'family stand' and those that wish only a Ronald Mcdonald experience, cant you think for just one moment at the absolute glee when they actually hear one of their own players swear in the heat of battle.

The most fun those kids have had this Christmas.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Dunk can be a fine player, however he is unlikely to achieve his potential whilst he carries on in an unprofessional manner.

I doubt a spat with some idiot in the crowd is likely to affect his long term career prospects. Once, at the Goldstone, we riled up Nottingham Forest's John Robertson enough that he flicked the Vs. The upshot - we all laughed. And he continued to be annoyingly brilliant.

A lot of football fans nowadays are pathetic. No idea of the difference between banter and bile and make a mountain out of a molehill at the first opportunity.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Absolutely this.

None of our centre backs are perfect. Goldson looked pretty good last night so we'll leave him out of this but, for the rest, I see it like this. Take Dunk out and we are vulnerable in the air. Take Greer out and we are less organised but have better pace and passing. We are always vulnerable at CB at the moment due to this. However, Uwe cannot get taller and Greer cannot get faster. All Dunk needs to be Premier League quality is to concentrate for 90 minutes and think about what he's doing. Not a hard ask is it?

Doesn't excuse fans giving him stick though. Get behind your team FFS.

This.

Dunk can be, should be, and I hope will be, a great defender. Needs to sort his head out and make good decisions for 90+ mins at least for many more games in a row than he does now.

Without GG we don't have order and focus at all so he has to play for that alone. . From the first time I saw Uwe I felt good on the deck, poor in the air. That really is an issue for a CB.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'm not excusing the ironic jeers/cheers, although they are understandable and hardly any reason for Dunk to lose the plot, but I do feel his reaction is symptomatic of young men paid stupid amounts of money and, largely, separated from reality most of the time. In the days when players regularly got abused in ways Dunk has probably only ever heard in 18 rated films there was still something of a connection between fans and players. What a lot of fans see now is young players who will happily take the money and the adoration, but think they're somehow special human beings above getting the bird when they screw up. It wasn't so long ago that another lack of judgement, seemingly linked with this egotistical lifestyle, left Dunk in the dock and the club with a real image problem. So, what is the more 'pathetic' - some fans being less than 100% supportive or Dunk (allegedly) abusing those who pay the wages that let him lead the extremely comfortable life that he does? In my opinion he needs to grow a pair.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I doubt a spat with some idiot in the crowd is likely to affect his long term career prospects. Once, at the Goldstone, we riled up Nottingham Forest's John Robertson enough that he flicked the Vs. The upshot - we all laughed. And he continued to be annoyingly brilliant.

A lot of football fans nowadays are pathetic. No idea of the difference between banter and bile and make a mountain out of a molehill at the first opportunity.

I disagree. When someone is of the calibre of say Ronaldo or Suarez, you can ignore their petulance as they are so outstanding on the pitch. Dunk is a good player but not truly outstanding, but I believe he does himself no favours by losing control in this manner. I am not bothered he lost his temper and swore. He's only human, but the fact that he was not bantering with the fans, he was clearly very angry, showed that his composition was lacking. That is only going to harm the team, just as getting on his back will harm him.

It's also interesting that there are many people on this thread who will hear no evil of him and refuse to believe that he did act that way. Strange.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I disagree. When someone is of the calibre of say Ronaldo or Suarez, you can ignore their petulance as they are so outstanding on the pitch. Dunk is a good player but not truly outstanding, but I believe he does himself no favours by losing control in this manner. I am not bothered he lost his temper and swore. He's only human, but the fact that he was not bantering with the fans, he was clearly very angry, showed that his composition was lacking. That is only going to harm the team, just as getting on his back will harm him.

It's also interesting that there are many people on this thread who will hear no evil of him and refuse to believe that he did act that way. Strange.

Is there any proof that he did? I know there are rumours and accusations, but no proof.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here