Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes v BHA - A roll call for the Dripping Pan...

spellfast

Jul 14, 2011
Stone Cross
I remember a couple of years ago we beat Chelsea 3-1 in a preseason friendly. They seemed to have quite a good season even though they lost to us. Preseason games mean nothing and are no indicator of the season ahead. We need to be patient and wait and see how they do against Forest. And even that game won't mean that much, the first month in the championship is always unpredictable - that said we were rubbish at the start of last season and nothing changed - but give a team a chance. I'm sure we'll get more signings yet anyway. Looking forward to the season

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Come on Sir, what can the club really expect when all it has to work with is:-

The very best training facility in the country.
The very best stadium in the division.
The 6th (?) highest player budget.
The 3rd (?) largest average attendance.
The highest amount of season ticket holders (for the hard of thinking that's guaranteed income)

People expect miracles from a club that's situated a stones from London and even closer to world wide transport.

I defy anyone to attract a player who can kick a ball to a club that ONLY has that going for it.

It's shit like this that makes me more and more annoyed at the club LICKERS on this board.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When you say dragging their feet, what do you mean? How easy do you really think it is to get quality players to sign? Do you think we are top of any quality players list of clubs to come to? I would think that most players have time on their hands to wait for the right offer even if that takes all summer. Quality players will have options, so what can the club do when these players and agents, play the waiting game.

Are you a new fan? When Poyet was here quality players fell over themselves to sign for us. We were promised efforts to get players in early this close season and we did get three but we are still a team without pace or creativity. For whatever reason we are no longer a very attractive proposition in comparison to other clubs yes, I am starting to get feelings of déjà vu. We could quite easily end up at the wrong end of the table again the way things look today.

I don't have much faith that the quality will be delivered. The club have their 20 k season tickets and that's the most important thing to Barber and co IMO.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I remember a couple of years ago we beat Chelsea 3-1 in a preseason friendly. They seemed to have quite a good season even though they lost to us. Preseason games mean nothing and are no indicator of the season ahead. We need to be patient and wait and see how they do against Forest. And even that game won't mean that much, the first month in the championship is always unpredictable - that said we were rubbish at the start of last season and nothing changed - but give a team a chance. I'm sure we'll get more signings yet anyway. Looking forward to the season

I don't understand why we can't have the squad ready for the first game of the season , all this talk about wait until September is wrong ,I know you can buy players until the end of August but apart from 1 or 2 players the team should be ready , there are an awful lot of matches in Augest with lots of points available , unprofessional not to be ready for the first game of the season

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Come on Sir, what can the club really expect when all it has to work with is:-

The very best training facility in the country.
The very best stadium in the division.
The 6th (?) highest player budget.
The 3rd (?) largest average attendance.
The highest amount of season ticket holders (for the hard of thinking that's guaranteed income)

People expect miracles from a club that's situated a stones from London and even closer to world wide transport.

I defy anyone to attract a player who can kick a ball to a club that ONLY has that going for it.

Yet the excuses about how tough everything is will no doubt be trotted out again as we underachieve due to the club being unable to sell itself to ambitious players. We are spending more than ever whilst failing to attract quality players too apparently.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Are you a new fan? When Poyet was here quality players fell over themselves to sign for us. We were promised efforts to get players in early this close season and we did get three but we are still a team without pace or creativity. For whatever reason we are no longer a very attractive proposition in comparison to other clubs yes, I am starting to get feelings of déjà vu. We could quite easily end up at the wrong end of the table again the way things look today.

I don't have much faith that the quality will be delivered. The club have their 20 k season tickets and that's the most important thing to Barber and co IMO.

Sorry so what you are saying is that under Poyet we achieved, did we get to the PL then?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry so what you are saying is that under Poyet we achieved, did we get to the PL then?

So you didn't think things were better under Poyet than they are now? Maybe I missed Poyet almost getting us relegated whilst playing the worst football since we were at Gillingham. Last season the quality of football was awful and it got worse under Hughton in the last few games than it ever was under Hyypia. We didn't look like scoring for weeks on end due to the turgid tactics. As things stand there have been nowhere near enough quality additions to the squad to give me any confidence that this season will be much better.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
For whatever reason we are no longer a very attractive proposition in comparison to other clubs yes.

The reality is that as a club we're a name that just doesn't register with a lot of players. All around us in the Championship are clubs that have a more signficant history or profile, most having played in The Premiership in the living memory of younger players. Location, stadium and training facilities don't apparently count for much against stuff like that. We may as well be called 'Green Haddock Rovers' for all the weight the name 'Brighton and Hove Albion FC' carries in the modern game, and rightly so, we're just an insignificant pimple on the botty of the beautiful game when it comes down to it.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The reality is that as a club we're a name that just doesn't register with a lot of players. All around us in the Championship are clubs that have a more signficant history or profile, most having played in The Premiership in the living memory of younger players. Location, stadium and training facilities don't apparently count for much against stuff like that. We may as well be called 'Green Haddock Rovers' for all the weight the name 'Brighton and Hove Albion FC' carries in the modern game, and rightly so, we're just an insignificant pimple on the botty of the beautiful game when it comes down to it.

Also, how many teams in the current Championship are in receipt of parachute payments? Presumably, a professional footballer's ambition is to play in the Premier League, so a club with a recent history is probably a better proposition in their eyes?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Also, how many teams in the current Championship are in receipt of parachute payments? Presumably, a professional footballer's ambition is to play in the Premier League, so a club with a recent history is probably a better proposition in their eyes?

Yep. Even what some would deem less attractive Championship sides - Bolton, Reading etc. have all that on us. In terms of profile in the Championship we probably rank below the likes of Huddersfield Town.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
So you didn't think things were better under Poyet than they are now? Maybe I missed Poyet almost getting us relegated whilst playing the worst football since we were at Gillingham. Last season the quality of football was awful and it got worse under Hughton in the last few games than it ever was under Hyypia. We didn't look like scoring for weeks on end due to the turgid tactics. As things stand there have been nowhere near enough quality additions to the squad to give me any confidence that this season will be much better.

No I don't think things were better under Poyet, he got us promoted and then spent a lot of money on players and still we could not push on and get to the PL, Southampton managed it though, and such a great manager went onto great success didn't he, sorry where is he now? The fact is that he overspent and still could not get us into the PL. Oscar had to make do and still managed to get us to the playoffs, and now we are struggling financially to compete with the top clubs. like it or not, we have not got big bucks to spend, therefore we have to spend money wisely. I agree that we have not got a side that can challenge as it stands, however we have made a start and got in 3 decent players, add to that we have some good young players. We do need at least 3/4 good players, however they do not grow on trees, meanwhile Chris is given the youngsters valuable experience with the first team. The academy is the way forward and that's where we need to build and that is where we have got some good young players for the future. It's a slow process of rebuilding.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Agree with a lot of people on here. New keeper did all that was asked of him. Rosenior looked good. Very impressed with Dallison and . Ince was our best player in the first half. Tilley looks some prospect and looked to shoot when running at the defence. If you don't shoot you won't score and we still seem reluctant to have a go from outside the box. Having said that, if players were trying to put themselves in the frame for an opening day spot. Holla, O'Grady and Colunga could have played themselves out the door. They were truly woeful against non league opposition. Of the second half subs Monokana looked the pick of those and filled the number 25 shirt well. Wasn't that Lua Lua's number last season.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If you pay the money then you attract the best players if you try and do everything on the CHEAP then expect the WORST

As shown by Blackburn (buying Rhodes) Fulham (McCormack)Forrest (buying everyone)

Not spending massive and buying wisely doesn't work, just ask Brinkley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here