Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes v Albion tonight - Kids free

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well that was pretty disappointing. Not many positives to take away. Toby didn't look interested. Our no. 10 was quite lively in the first half (sorry not sure of his name) but I didn't see us play much possession football which I thought I would. We also struggled to defend all of their dead ball plays. I know we had some real youngsters out there but can't say we had much of a game plan. I only counted 2 shots for us and on a good day I can count to at least 3 :)

Would agree with most of this.

Despite some of the comments I felt in the first half Christian Walton looked relatively safe and assured, his handling was fairly good and he commanded his box. Out of everyone, for me, he looked like he could progress and replace Brez as 3rd choice.

The No. 10 looked good on the ball, though was very lightweight.

I think time is up for Toby on this showing. Poor first touch, passing and looked void of confidence.

I hope all the players on show develop this season, but on this performance many (if not all) will be released. Disappointing but well played to Lewes.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
From what I can gather, Starkey requested to come on trial with us in the hope of having a greater chance of reaching the first team here than he would at Chelsea. If it is true it is highly commendable, but if Chelsea are happy to let this happen, it might mean he's not particularly rated there. Regardless, I hope he does well and whatever is best for his career. He's local and a good, humble lad.
That's true. One of the reasons he asked is that Chelsea, as a result of FFP, are really trying to make their youth scheme 'work', inasmuch as they want it to produce players for their first team as opposed to them having to buy them in for tens of millions. Consequently in the last six months their youth set-up has become flooded with players from around the world as Chelsea desperately try and find some cheap talent that they can develop. Jess thought he might be able to 'do a Bridcutt' as he knew that the chances of him actually making it at Chelsea were slim (how many have come through since Abramovich took over?) and that was before the recent revamp.

A shame in some ways as he's been at Chelsea since he was about 12 (he was at Portsmouth prior to that) and was well thought of. Worth stating that he asked to go, Chelsea didn't release him as not good enough.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Lewes played very well and deserved the win. Bit of a lesson for the kids, very inexperienced side.

Lewes fans made good noise 2nd half, they have a great stand behind the goal. About 1/3 of the crowd was Albion I would estimate, so 150.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
In fact Lewes played so well I've just had a tenner each way on them for the Ryman Premier @25/1.

PG

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Was speaking to someone who goes regularly to Lewes, only 4 players or thereabouts were in the squad last night were there last season.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Lewes played very well and deserved the win. Bit of a lesson for the kids, very inexperienced side.

Lewes fans made good noise 2nd half, they have a great stand behind the goal. About 1/3 of the crowd was Albion I would estimate, so 150.

PG
That bigger stand does hold a lot of noise in. It can get very loud in there during competitive games. I reckon their was more Albion then that there as a lot of the lewes fans also support Brighton (like myself). Although, I was supporting Lewes yesterday.

The game was always going to be not about our youngsters but about Lewes putting some wasted years behind them with a great management appointment in Garry Wilson and a lot of his old Eastbourne players who did so well for him the past.

The match winner Ross Treleaven is a very good player who gave our first team defenders the run around in a pre-season at Eastbourne a couple of years ago.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
AND they have some nice ice cream on sale in the ground tonight.

Pint of Harveys, nice ice cream, terrace, sun shining.

Do they sell ice cream at The Amex? Can't say I've seen it. If they don't maybe it's something they ought to think about. Outside The Stadium of course.

Jimmy Grimble

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here