[Football] Lewes Community Football Club Is An Absolute Breath Of Fresh Air

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do, for 60 years I’ve been a plastic fan at the Goldstone, Withdean and Falmer.
Sorry Superfan.

That's a bit harsh. Also I hadn't realised you'd switched your allegiance to a non league side and given up on The Albion, which is who [MENTION=147] Seasidesage[/MENTION] was directing his comments towards ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dont kid yourself. You will be surprised how much players are paid and where your money goes.. Hope agents not involved but would not be surprised . At Lewes level players will play following season for whoever pays them most.

I was surprised how little some of them are paid.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
See a handful of Lewes games before (years ago) and to be totally honest, i found it all rather boring as i just couldn't get excited about watching a team that i had no passion for or real interest in.

Dull games, dull atmosphere and poor skill and this was at a time when they were flying up the leagues.

Absolute rubbish, come on own up, the only reason you didn’t enjoy yourself is the locals tried to set fire to you. :D

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't recall calling you or anyone else a plastic nor am I a superfan but you tell me what sort of fan wants to go and watch other clubs and withdraw their support and hand over their ST for reasons nothing to do with the club they apparently 'supported' until the weekend?

Supporter isn't a word I'd use for that but each to their own.

If I decided to go and 'support' Lewes or anyone else I'd also not find it necessary to come onto the website of the club I supported until yesterday to tell their supporters I was leaving? Grandstanding of the highest order but you crack on old son...

But he/she has a point. On another thread “fans” are talking of walking away from the club because of (the voluntary) PPV

Perhaps those fans feel less important and less influential than they did in the late Goldstone, Priestfield and Withdean years.

It’s fine to follow a local team because that was where you were born, or now live, etc. but don’t do it believing you are some sort of activist or modern day Robin Hood. Oh, they sell Harvey’s and vegan Pies, won’t that sound good in the pub.or community centre

Not a dig at you Thunderbolt, just hooking onto your post

I haven’t said I’m walking away but I am tempted. Btw, I am nobody’s son.

It’s a culmination of many things, not least of all the Premier league, and the amount of money sloshing around to pay drunkards who have prostitutes in their hotels, and get given penalties that the Albion don’t. Dry small things which kill off my love for football every week.
I loved supporting the club in the lower divisions, but the last couple of years have been chipping away.
I am old, and my health isn’t so good, do I will have to make a hard decision next March.
Being lectured by other fans helps me on my way.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I used to love their posters when I worked in Lewes

Whover did/does that artwork is/was a total class act. On a par with the kiddie that used to do the HTFC match reports in cartoon form :bowdown:

7B0CCFFB-EE81-4742-813C-56412DD29A4E.jpeg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lewis FC is great for an occasional day out as a bit of a variation.

:albion2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's a bit harsh. Also I hadn't realised you'd switched your allegiance to a non league side and given up on The Albion, which is who [MENTION=147] Seasidesage[/MENTION] was directing his comments towards ???

I haven’t. I’ve been accused of it, which isn’t the same thing.
What I said was, I could understand the feeling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I haven’t. I’ve been accused of it, which isn’t the same thing.
What I said was, I could understand the feeling.

Apologies if I misunderstood.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Saturday I will be watching Newhaven vs Alford with my two Nephews and Sunday I will be watching Palace vs Albion on the TV. When we can go back to watching live elite football we will be going to watch Albion women as well. When Newhaven and Brighton clash, I will be listening to Brighton on the radio whilst Watching Newhaven. I can't Justify paying the money for the first team. I would also like to go to the u23 games but I don't think I would be able to without having a season ticket.

Up The Dockers :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was great fun watching Worthing FC playing Lewes FC last season, each team had a banner up Worthing/Lewes " Pride of Sussex " ..... Worthing won 3-1 as I recall.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I haven’t said I’m walking away but I am tempted. Btw, I am nobody’s son.

It’s a culmination of many things, not least of all the Premier league, and the amount of money sloshing around to pay drunkards who have prostitutes in their hotels, and get given penalties that the Albion don’t. Dry small things which kill off my love for football every week.
I loved supporting the club in the lower divisions, but the last couple of years have been chipping away.
I am old, and my health isn’t so good, do I will have to make a hard decision next March.
Being lectured by other fans helps me on my way.

That's quite a sad read :down:. It's the age and health thing that really kills it, isn't it? Before I found I am lactose and gluten intolerant and fixed the diet, going to the football (and work) was so stressful I was that close to packing both in (2 years ago). Very little might have pushed me over the edge. I'm lucky, with one of several clouds lifted I'm determined to battle on.

It is perhaps because it wouldn't have taken much to make me an armchair fan that I'm so determined now to not be (when it is safe for me to return). Perhaps that's why I'm putting so much faith in Tony. I still see the club as a force for the good, in the community, doing what's needed to stay competitive and consequently viable at a high level.

On the other hand, the cost, and the price to pay may be a bridge too far. Maybe it would be better if we downsize now, unload the high salary players, retract the scope, be relegated.....that's not the human way, though, is it? I'd be upset if the club stepped away from division 1 (as it used to be called) and we went back to where we were when I first went - fight fight fighting to win division 3, but not really because we are just little old Brighton. I have yet to decide whether the price we will pay for staying in the EPL fold is too high. For now I shall continue to say 'not'.

I'm sorry we seem to cease to see eye to eye over the club. But.....I don't actually really believe that....all the best.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Can not see many NSCers getting in with them to be honest. Especially given how a lot of them think we have a terrible squad and our current performances have been so bad. Just imagine the vitriol when they see Lewes play.

I have been watching Lewes on and off since 2005, one of my sons asked me to take him to a match because some of his school friends went. I really enjoyed going and went regularly for a few seasons when the Albion were away or not playing.
Every time I’ve been I’ve seen Albion fans I know or fans wearing Albion hats or badges.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
To a degree I agree with you. What I find strange is the need to announce it?

It’s a forum, a message board, a place for discussion, somewhere where points of view and opinion are metered out. Somewhere where people share news and interests, discuss their lives, even intimate conversations about sensitive, personal and sometimes very serious subjects, and sometimes frivolous and nonsensical nonsense . I don’t really see it as strange, but if you do then fair enough, but with so many people discussing this particular subject I guess it’s not so strange to many.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
VERY big difference between Albion fans and NSCers. The former being generally sensible.

NSCers don’t walk around with username badges on. :rolleyes:
How would I know if a fellow Albion fan at a Lewes match posted on here, unless I knew them personally or asked them?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Probably they would be moaning at the lackluster football, lack of expensive signings and going mad if there was no one left forward when defending a corner?
Oh and probably yelling at Greer or March or Stephens whenever there was an error.

Shock horror, football fans moan about football. :smile:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I gave up my Albion season ticket five years ago as I couldn't justify the expense and was finding attending games less enjoyable. Been a season ticket at Lewes for three years now and would recommend. It is different, but I'd say much more enjoyable. Still (usually) go to 5-8 Albion games a season but saviour it as a treat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports