[Sussex] Lewes Bonfire Night

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not interested myself but grandchildren asked to go to Lindfield but their mother said it was too late on a school day. Are there any displays on next weekend as I am sure I read that the one in Brighton was postponed last weekend.

Denton and South Heighton Saturday 9th

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A great tradition which my family and I miss as we always went, though it may have changed for the worse since being here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A great tradition which my family and I miss as we always went, though it may have changed for the worse since being here.
Personally I don't think it's got worse (Lewes aside). Some of the displays about are miles better than we used to see. If standing in a random field and waiting ages for a more basic display is more your thing, I'm sure there will still be some of those about. This year I didn't have the time or energy to do anything, so we didn't - so for those who aren't interested, I don't see what the problem is, just ignore it.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Great night in Lewes, the Societies outdid themselves again, special mention for Cliffe and South Street, both of whom I thought were excellent. The enemies of Bonfire that I saw, Rees-Mogg and Johnson from Cliffe was a work of art! Commercial Square had Farage, which was good..

The only displays that I could see were Commercial and Waterloo and as usual they were brilliant and set off plenty of car alarms, which is usually a good sign that the volume was on point... Waterloo aerial display was fantastic..

Crowd was smaller than I’ve seen in 40 years. So easy to move about, school hill and the War Memorial, usually no go zones due to congestion were both easy to navigate... at points there were more police and stewards than there were crowds, which is a real shame and I hope that they’ll relax some of their draconian restrictions on travel next year (but very much doubt that they will)

Well worth making an effort to get there for those that haven’t made it in the past...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The whole thing should be banned, it's now just a political demonstration and should be treated accordingly.

I remember remember when the 5th of November was all about reveling in the glory of religious persecution and martyrdom...

Wow, that sounds like fun :D:D

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Left work at midnight in Lewes last night, got caught behind a parade going up the high street letting off constant bangers that were so borderline ear drum perforatingly loud I honestly thought my hearing was going to be permanently affected, especially in a relatively enclosed space hemmed in by buildings on either side. Some people were wearing ear defenders, most didn’t seem to be. No idea how most of them aren’t registered deaf.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Great night in Lewes, the Societies outdid themselves again, special mention for Cliffe and South Street, both of whom I thought were excellent. The enemies of Bonfire that I saw, Rees-Mogg and Johnson from Cliffe was a work of art! Commercial Square had Farage, which was good..

The only displays that I could see were Commercial and Waterloo and as usual they were brilliant and set off plenty of car alarms, which is usually a good sign that the volume was on point... Waterloo aerial display was fantastic..

Crowd was smaller than I’ve seen in 40 years. So easy to move about, school hill and the War Memorial, usually no go zones due to congestion were both easy to navigate... at points there were more police and stewards than there were crowds, which is a real shame and I hope that they’ll relax some of their draconian restrictions on travel next year (but very much doubt that they will)

Well worth making an effort to get there for those that haven’t made it in the past...

The Cliffe tab team really are incredible. Almost seems a shame to blow them up! The detail is tremendous

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Was a subdued start to the night. Numbers of spectators were down and in the Borough procession there was uncertainty as to what would be allowed. as the night wore on though it became more and more like a normal Lewes with boom boxes and firecrackers and brialliant firewoork displays . Sadly no flares in the streets, guess the police drones must be able to monitor us at all times. I had a great time and the crowds that did attend seemed to be enjoying it too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not interested myself but grandchildren asked to go to Lindfield but their mother said it was too late on a school day. Are there any displays on next weekend as I am sure I read that the one in Brighton was postponed last weekend.

Postponed to this Friday. It's on Nsc, and you can even search online for others.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
I've not been since about 2001 since leaving the area. Would like go again. Anyone got photos/video's that aren't on facebook and can show on here?

If you type #lewesbonfire into Google, you can then select twitter posts under that hashtag and should find a very good selection of posts, photos and videos that have been shared...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sadly my son has been attacked in the past. Some attacks on fire engines are not solely on Bonfire night.

From West Yorkshire Fire service
Our amazing control room staff & Firefighters received over 500 calls & attended 149 incidents last night! 👏

🔥 Of these incidents, 66 were bonfire related.

👍 A huge thank you to the thousands who celebrated safely across this busy period! 😊

👎 Sadly there were a handful of antisocial incidents, which included attacks on our crews.
Fortunately there were no injuries reported.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I've not been since about 2001 since leaving the area. Would like go again. Anyone got photos/video's that aren't on facebook and can show on here?

Here's some of mine from last night

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports