[Sussex] Lewes Bonfire Night

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
getimage.jpeg

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
All the Lewes Bonfire Societies bar Commercial Square have their own websites publicising all their events and most if not all do sell firesite tickets.

I hope the rest of your extensive post on the subject is more accurate.

Oh dear. Nothing I said was inaccurate, your perception of the websites is. The websites are clearly mostly information for members (badge nights, out meetings), those interested in joining, history, and some things about fundraising. They aren't to encourage people to come from out of town to the night. Most don't even mention procession times as far as I can see. Do any say "come to Lewes" or give details or parking or transport? Yes, tickets for the firework displays are sold, and there's info about that, and some info about the night generally, but that's not asking people to come into town for them hence the universal message from all the societies to stay local and watch a local display instead of coming to Lewes. It's not just something that's said.

There's plenty (thousands) in Lewes who aren't involved and they are the target audience, otherwise why try and put people off coming into the town as happens every year? A couple of years ago there was a concerted effort by people to spread misinformation about the date it was even happening. You'll see it on social media too when it rains, with "jokers" spreading word that it's cancelled. One of the programmes even recently had a whole piece on why you shouldn't come. Societies don't do any press and have a blanket ban on members talking to the media. One society stretches this but that's not popular. Big public displays and steps to preserve the event in law as a heritage thing weren't pursued all because it'd make it even more well known. Shall I go on? You can say people want big attendance but it doesn't make it true.

You might also be surprised to learn that quite a few involved wouldn't be upset if there weren't fireworks displays. They are a new thing, necessary for fundraising, but a very minor part of the night, and again the public are segregated some distance away from members at every site I've been to and facilities for them are minimal or non-existent.

A long reply but please don't make accusations of inaccuracy!

And tar barrels do still get rolled down the street in Lewes, but you probably won't find it advertised ;-)
PHP:

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, as later posts have pointed out, I always had the impression that it was the police and authorities that were trying to sanitise the event and keep people away. Closing the station was a real blow.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Oh dear. Nothing I said was inaccurate, your perception of the websites is. The websites are clearly mostly information for members (badge nights, out meetings), those interested in joining, history, and some things about fundraising. They aren't to encourage people to come from out of town to the night. Most don't even mention procession times as far as I can see. Do any say "come to Lewes" or give details or parking or transport? Yes, tickets for the firework displays are sold, and there's info about that, and some info about the night generally, but that's not asking people to come into town for them hence the universal message from all the societies to stay local and watch a local display instead of coming to Lewes. It's not just something that's said.

There's plenty (thousands) in Lewes who aren't involved and they are the target audience, otherwise why try and put people off coming into the town as happens every year? A couple of years ago there was a concerted effort by people to spread misinformation about the date it was even happening. You'll see it on social media too when it rains, with "jokers" spreading word that it's cancelled. One of the programmes even recently had a whole piece on why you shouldn't come. Societies don't do any press and have a blanket ban on members talking to the media. One society stretches this but that's not popular. Big public displays and steps to preserve the event in law as a heritage thing weren't pursued all because it'd make it even more well known. Shall I go on? You can say people want big attendance but it doesn't make it true.

You might also be surprised to learn that quite a few involved wouldn't be upset if there weren't fireworks displays. They are a new thing, necessary for fundraising, but a very minor part of the night, and again the public are segregated some distance away from members at every site I've been to and facilities for them are minimal or non-existent.

A long reply but please don't make accusations of inaccuracy!

And tar barrels do still get rolled down the street in Lewes, but you probably won't find it advertised ;-)
PHP:

This is true in my case. They look good and are useful to sell tickets but the processions/remembrance/honouring tradition are what's important. Plus all the fun stuff like rookies, flares and firecrackers (RIP).

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I hope they have an effigy of Rees Mogg being fried to a crisp after his totally insensitive comments.
And maybe one of Johnson having sex with Putin.
That is what Lewes does best (apart from brewing crap beer)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Shuffling along a rain soaked street, staring at the back of someone’s neck, someone kicking your heels, listening to unseen fireworks going off while fat blokes who stink of petrol silently hate you for not being born in Lewes? Nah, you’re alright thanks.

Having been along a couple of dozen times, I've never had any trouble seeing the fireworks or getting a beer. :wave:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This is true in my case. They look good and are useful to sell tickets but the processions/remembrance/honouring tradition are what's important. Plus all the fun stuff like rookies, flares and firecrackers (RIP).

Why RIP? Won't they have them this year? They had them at Battle last week...

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Why RIP? Won't they have them this year? They had them at Battle last week...

Sorry was more related to the other two to be honest. Suspect there will still be crackers but attitude towards drop downs and flares in particular seems to have really ratcheted up this year. I hope its all talk but last few years have been depressingly stale.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I think it’s a bit of a myth that the people of Lewes don’t want visitors on the 5th.

The vast majority of Lewes residents are rightly proud of the celebrations and the town and love to show off and share their hard work. I’ve lived in the town my whole life and am yet to meet one person (either in or out of a society) who takes the view that visitors aren’t welcome..

Although it’s absolutely true that it would still go ahead, even if there wasn’t a single person watching, there’s no doubt in my mind that the bigger the crowd the better the spectacle.

The powers that be, council and police etc etc just seem determined to sanitise the whole night and make it so difficult for people to visit. I think that’s really sad but unfortunately it’s the way of the world nowadays . Don’t forget that the societies are run by volunteers, no one is paid and they all have day jobs, they just can’t afford to fight that position.

As a result it’s not quite the event that it was 20 or even 10 years ago but it’s still well worth a visit and everyone should take it in at least once... make an effort and don’t let the fun police ruin it.

And definitely don’t believe that the people of Lewes don’t want Visitors . As has been said on this thread, lots of money is made for local charities and good causes, not to mention supporting local business.

Yes, I went a few times in the eighties and it was a very enjoyable evening. Certainly I have never found Lewes unwelcoming, but because of its popularity, the event was probably becoming a bit of an arse for the powers that be and the easiest way to sanitise it is to shut the town off. A pity IMO.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Always happy when this shitfest of Nov 5th has fvcked off for another year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not interested myself but grandchildren asked to go to Lindfield but their mother said it was too late on a school day. Are there any displays on next weekend as I am sure I read that the one in Brighton was postponed last weekend.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Not interested myself but grandchildren asked to go to Lindfield but their mother said it was too late on a school day. Are there any displays on next weekend as I am sure I read that the one in Brighton was postponed last weekend.

Google is your friend [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here