Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Levi Colwill *Signed on Season-Long Loan 05/08/2022*

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
just like the cucurella transfer fee, the amount of the buyback clause has now gone up apparently

[tweet]1554955727831187456[/tweet]

wouldn't be surprised if it's gone up again by another few million this time tomorrow

Bloke can't even spell his own name right.

Should be Nathan Guessing.

Because that's all he's doing.

And he looks like his pubes haven't even grown yet :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just not enough. Can't see it being anywhere close what TB wants. Either the fee drops or the buyback clause increases.

Never mind the buy back clause (if there is one) - just look at the price. The two deals might be separate, but in reality it's just Chelsea making an offer of £30M plus Colwill for Cucu - and could anybody really see TB taking that?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm loving the use of the classic "pal" there. You don't see enough of that these days.

Very punchable! Personally I've always been a long time fan of ' whatever '. Sublimely dismissive but no hint of aggression. Now if only Jamie Vardy had the balls at the onset to explain that to his witch!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Joking aside, it's an interesting dynamic though; one club upset that their player handed in a transfer request, the other club trying to lever their contracted player out of their club possibly against their wishes...

I guess so, but do we REALLY know the club is upset with Cucurella? I've said it before, transfer request or not, the club would decide if he goes or not. Chelsea must've (apparently) met the value that TB and co put on him – if not, they would've told Chelsea to do one.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I guess so, but do we REALLY know the club is upset with Cucurella? I've said it before, transfer request or not, the club would decide if he goes or not. Chelsea must've (apparently) met the value that TB and co put on him – if not, they would've told Chelsea to do one.

The club is definitely upset with Cucurella’s agent, and probably will try to avoid doing any business with them going forward.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The club is definitely upset with Cucurella’s agent, and probably will try to avoid doing any business with them going forward.

Given Cucurella is his only client …!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I don’t see the benefit of this buy back clause, except to the seller. As I see it, Chelsea would sell him to us for X amount. However, at some point in the future they have the right to demand him back and pay X + Y . Really that is little more than an indefinite loan albeit with a bonus to us in the future.
What about inflation, what will you get for that money in ,say, 5 years time?
Suppose we wanted to sell him for less than the buy back price, can we do so?
It seems to me that if he comes good, Chelsea get him back cheap and if he is poor, we are stuck with him.
I guess the clause is written into his contact with Albion . What if he serves his contract and wants to walk away on a Bosman free?
It does not seem a good deal for either the buying club or the player.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
A buy back is something to obviously avoid as it limits the upside on the risk being taken and also means that we have no control over the timing of a sale if Chelsea come back in for him.
However, if it is a high buy back ( say £60m ) then I guess we could accept that as it would represent circa £40m of profit.
Maybe we could just pay a bit extra upfront and ask them to exclude any buy back.
Anyway, looking at the clips of him play at Huddersfield and previously for Chelsea U23s the lad looks a real talent and would certainly give us options as he can play left sided centre back or Left Back. He has pace and passing ability and likes a tackle. A really good replacement for Cucu in that regard. Doubt whether left wing back is his thing, but we have cover there.
The thing that really helps with Colwill coming our way is that without this we would be very openly cash rich and on the look out for a Cucu replacement and so would be having to pay top dollar for a replacement.
I’m really hoping we can get this deal done. I think we wouldn’t be significantly weakened by it team wise, and of course money wise we’ll be c £30m up and hopefully that can be used for other purchases.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We don't do buy back

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Unless you're Tony Bloom or Paul Barber, you absolutely no idea whether that is correct or not. Allegedly, not wanting a buy back was why we didn't pursue the Livramento deal last summer, but that doesn't mean it is our stance in general. If the player is someone GP wants and the terms/price of the buy back deal are favourable enough to TB/PB to feel like we could really benefit then I don't see why we wouldn't go for it.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I don’t see the benefit of this buy back clause, except to the seller. As I see it, Chelsea would sell him to us for X amount. However, at some point in the future they have the right to demand him back and pay X + Y . Really that is little more than an indefinite loan albeit with a bonus to us in the future.
What about inflation, what will you get for that money in ,say, 5 years time?
Suppose we wanted to sell him for less than the buy back price, can we do so?
It seems to me that if he comes good, Chelsea get him back cheap and if he is poor, we are stuck with him.
I guess the clause is written into his contact with Albion . What if he serves his contract and wants to walk away on a Bosman free?
It does not seem a good deal for either the buying club or the player.

the benefit is us getting a player who perhaps wouldn't be available otherwise. how ever good our recruitment team think he is dictates whether that deal is seemingly worth it or not. agree it's not ideal, but say we sign him for £20M, keep him for two years and then sell back to Chelsea for £50M. that's likely around what we'd probably sell him for anyways and also around as long as he'd be here if he's any good

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think this is dead in the water, considering we released the statement and the cold fact we do not do loans or Mr T is not keen on buy backs.

We ultimately did not wish to sell in the first place, these are just rumours spread by the very people the club talked about in their statement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here