Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Levi Colwill *Signed on Season-Long Loan 05/08/2022*

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
if signing colwill was one of our prerequisites for doing the cucu deal with chelsea then it must surely be done now if they're bidding for fofana

[tweet]1554951593136619528[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You’re objecting or rather you think you might be objecting to a deal that isn’t yet in place , but even so - whatever it turns out to be - you’re convinced Chelsea might have us over a barrel. Because Bloom or rather Barber (who I suspect is leading things here) is doing 2 deals and will inexplicably drop the ball on the 2nd one.

Why ?
I'm objecting - well, I'm not actually, but to put it far more accurately than you - I'm not happy about the idea that the deal for Chelsea to buy Cucurella might be conditional on Chelsea bending us over for a deal that is far more favourable to them than us involving developing one of their promising youngsters for them, one way or another.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
if signing colwill was one of our prerequisites for doing the cucu deal with chelsea then it must surely be done now if they're bidding for fofana

[tweet]1554951593136619528[/tweet]

A £63m bid for a guy who played SEVEN times in the PL last season after coming back from a broken leg...

Wow.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
A £63m bid for a guy who played SEVEN times in the PL last season after coming back from a broken leg...

Wow.
Mental isn’t it?
They did pay over £30million for him though IIRC. Chelsea are going for it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mental isn’t it?
They did pay over £30million for him though IIRC. Chelsea are going for it.

Has Fofana really done enough during the (covid-hit) season before last - being as the season just gone was a total write-off for him - to justify a bid of that magnitude ?? Bonkers.

The new owners post-Abramovich seem to want make a splash and show the fans they're serious by throwing money around like its going out of fashion. That always ends well dunnit.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Does bode the question- if CFC value Cucu at at least £50 million, and Fofana at at least £60 million, how much are we paying for Colwill?! No doubt it’ll be undisclosed but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a LOT higher than we might expect.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
just like the cucurella transfer fee, the amount of the buyback clause has now gone up apparently

[tweet]1554955727831187456[/tweet]

wouldn't be surprised if it's gone up again by another few million this time tomorrow

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does bode the question- if CFC value Cucu at at least £50 million, and Fofana at at least £60 million, how much are we paying for Colwill?! No doubt it’ll be undisclosed but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a LOT higher than we might expect.
That's the problem. Maybe we should walk away from Colwill if his price is being artificially inflated to 'compensate' for Chelsea paying a lot for Cucurella. Thank you for the £52.5M for Cucu, Chelsea, but we'll pass on Colwill for now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
just like the cucurella transfer fee, the amount of the buyback clause has now gone up apparently

wouldn't be surprised if it's gone up again by another few million this time tomorrow

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one. We reportedly refused the Livramento deal because it came with these kind of strings.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one. We reportedly refused the Livramento deal because it came with these kind of strings.

its probably what's holding the cucurella deal up. chelsea seem pretty keen on one being in there, if we're desperate for him then we may be willing to compromise. personally i could live with one if we were more than doubling our money

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Buy back options as a concept should absolutely be banned.

They are anti-competitive and don't sufficiently take into account the wishes of the player

How do they not take into account the wishes of the player?

When the club with the buyback clause activate it, they still have to agree a contact with the player.

The player can refuse the contract and remain at his current club.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The value of the buy back clause can be negotiated upwards so the Albion are protected financially but this is probably as much about losing control of when you sell. With Cucurella the club could have just said ‘not for sale’ if did not suit the club at that point in time but with buy back I am guessing chelsea can get him back once fee triggered at any point?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How do they not take into account the wishes of the player?

When the club with the buyback clause activate it, they still have to agree a contact with the player.

The player can refuse the contract and remain at his current club.

Indeed.

Forcing someone to change employer and work in a city... I don't know the UK jurisdictions but I would say it is pretty ****ing illegal.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Levi Colwill

The existence of a buy back obviously impacts the fee we pay for the transfer. If we paid £15m upfront and the buyback was £50m, I’d consider this proportionate.

I wonder if there’s two options on the table, low front with a buy back or a higher fee with none. It’s essentially speculating how Colwill will turn out in the future. I suspect we are keen on the latter but moving the upfront fee down.

Just to add, a buy back only works if Colwill wants to go back, he can’t be forced to return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

[tweet]1554955727831187456[/tweet]

Just not enough. Can't see it being anywhere close what TB wants. Either the fee drops or the buyback clause increases.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I reckon the buyback will end up being for ~£60m. Chelsea will want it to be £40/45m, we won’t want one and we’ll end up meeting in the middle.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I wonder whether the discussion is about the fees (£20m with a £50m buy back doesn’t sound too bad, £25m with a £40/45m buyback isn’t great). Or it could be that TB simply won’t agree to any buy back. If it’s the former, you’d think this gets done today. If it’s the latter however…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here