Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Levi Colwill *Signed on Season-Long Loan 05/08/2022*

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Really questionable move, we have 2x left footed, left sided centre backs in Clarke and Van Hecke - both with significant, successful experience in the championship - why are we bringing in some teenager from Chelsea we a) don't need and b) won't own if he does well? Also sends a terrible signal to those 2 named players.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Really questionable move, we have 2x left footed, left sided centre backs in Clarke and Van Hecke - both with significant, successful experience in the championship - why are we bringing in some teenager from Chelsea we a) don't need and b) won't own if he does well? Also sends a terrible signal to those 2 named players.
Are you questioning the manager? Tut tut

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I think he’s already decided Clarke isn’t up to it. See him going permanently this window. Colwill is very highly rated and was wanted by many other PL teams. Been given the 6 jersey. I think he’ll play a lot this season.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I was thinking about this today and I wonder if Chelsea insisted we take him as part of the Cucurella deal as it would aid his development more than it would him staying at Chelsea ???

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Very exciting signing, he may only be 19 but boy does he come with a pedigree. Cheers Chelsea, hope Cucu’s hamstrings are tight ;)

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005

Pretty sure Van Hecke is right footed

Edit: He's very right footed

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Getting good left backs is always tough. In the Championship we had a lot of loans, Ward, Bridge, Pocognoli, and they were good, in the Prem we've had Bong, Suttner, Bernardo, March, Burn - none of them world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, but we've done alright. One season of Cucu was great, and now we've got a world record fee for a full back for him. Hopefully we'll find another good one, in the meantime hope Colwill can step up or March get back to his 20-21 form

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yup.

If nothing weird happens, Webster will be LCB in most games. Prefers playing there and has a good left foot.

On his transfermarkt profile next to “Foot”, it should say “both” rather than “right”.

I sat behind Adam whilst he was warming up once. The way he was bending balls both ways with his left peg with such power and precision convinced me he was a natural lefty. He is not.

Colwill is an insurance policy. Nothing more. He’ll be very useful if Webster gets injured or if we don’t sign a permanent Burn replacement such as Zagadou. His signing has taken the pressure off the recruitment team but it would be best if he gets as few minutes as possible due to us signing a couple of our ‘own’ left footers who’ll be above him in the pecking order.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I respect the alternative opinions but I think this is a clear sign that Weir has a different approach to Ashworth and I think within a window or two, we're going to be much weaker for it. In twelve months time we either have to pay an inflated fee for Colwill on a permanent deal or he leaves on a free and we have to replace him, either way. That's bad business and it's the sort of thing we avoided during the Ashworth tenure. We were about future proofing the squad and ensuring that we had players coming through across the pitch to plug gaps when we sold players on big fees, without having to splash out big sums ourselves. I think this Colwill deal will prove to be an error when we look back in hindsight.
Can't see it that way at all. Firstly, Ashworth only left us about seven months ago, so I very much doubt our policies will have undergone a revolution since then, especially as we promoted from within.
Secondly, I've no doubt the club had already started the succession planning for when Cucurella leaves - probably while Ashworth was still in charge - in the same way we planned for losing Bissouma. It's just that Cucurella has left us a seaon or two earlier than planned - so it's good to have some potential cover drafted in for no fee to tide us over for a year while we progress with our normal plan, maybe speeded up a bit (it may well have been planned for 2024, but has to be brought forward to 2023).

Don't panic!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Can we have a song based on the ‘Eye of The Tiger’….

Levi of the Brighton, he’s up for a fight,
Risin' up to the challenge of our rivals,
Even though he’s from Chelsea we think he’s alright,
He’s probably more loyal than Cucurella

I ran out of steam on the last line

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Can we have a song based on the ‘Eye of The Tiger’….

Levi of the Brighton, he’s up for a fight,
Risin' up to the challenge of our rivals,
Even though he’s from Chelsea we think he’s alright,
He’s probably more loyal than Cucurella

I ran out of steam on the last line

.... Curtis Steiger.
Who says it has to make sense?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And this was the trap thousands of Palace fans fell into with Gallagher.

We would have signed him on a permanent if he has more than a season’s future at the club.

Be careful not to get too fanciful of this lad, he is going back.

But it was Graham Potter who developed him. He was nothing before he came to us. We should get a cut of the transfer fee... etc

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I respect the alternative opinions but I think this is a clear sign that Weir has a different approach to Ashworth and I think within a window or two, we're going to be much weaker for it. In twelve months time we either have to pay an inflated fee for Colwill on a permanent deal or he leaves on a free and we have to replace him, either way. That's bad business and it's the sort of thing we avoided during the Ashworth tenure. We were about future proofing the squad and ensuring that we had players coming through across the pitch to plug gaps when we sold players on big fees, without having to splash out big sums ourselves. I think this Colwill deal will prove to be an error when we look back in hindsight.

I also think almost nobody saw the value of Dan Burn when he came into the team, but he proved himself capable. I would argue that Clarke has had a better career in the Championship than Burn had had prior to our signing him, so writing off Clarke seems very strange to me and I think it's a mistake that we're bringing in a loan player to block his pathway into the team. I think that's a mistake and I'm sure he'll leave, hopefully for a fee, before the end of the window. I think he should have been given the chance ahead of bringing in Colwill on loan. If it was a permanent deal then fair enough, or a loan with an option or obligation. But if it's not, then this is unwise in my opinion.

I’d say it’s one loan and was driven somewhat by time sensitivities, I don’t think this is a strategic change at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I’d say it’s one loan and was driven somewhat by time sensitivities, I don’t think this is a strategic change at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely. One loan, or the occasional loan, doesn't mean a total change of policy.

Loans in are though a part of the tool box available to all teams. So far we have not benefited from the facility unlike most rival teams.

It means we can spread this year's transfer budget over 1-3 new players, not 2-4. We need not spread funds so thinly.

I'm positive about this.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Not convinced by this at all.

If I compare this to a Lamptey type arrival, who was so determined to prove himself he literally blew his hamstrings with some of the best, frankly incendiary, performances I’ve witnessed... this one feels a bit meh... he’s just signed a long, long term contract with his parent club, he’s been told he’s already brilliant, worth in excess of 20 million... and his claim to fame ? An own goal in the championship playoffs...

I’m just thinking he’s not got too many reasons to really ‘want’ it... I’m don’t envisage total commitment nor any desire to prove himself when he’s been told he’s already made it and (via his contract) is virtually set up until his mid 20s already...

For all of these reasons, I foresee less than 10 starts and not much to write home about.

Thank God it’s only a loan.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not convinced by this at all.

If I compare this to a Lamptey type arrival, who was so determined to prove himself he literally blew his hamstrings with some of the best, frankly incendiary, performances I’ve witnessed... this one feels a bit meh... he’s just signed a long, long term contract with his parent club, he’s been told he’s already brilliant, worth in excess of 20 million... and his claim to fame ? An own goal in the championship playoffs...

I’m just thinking he’s not got too many reasons to really ‘want’ it... I’m don’t envisage total commitment nor any desire to prove himself when he’s been told he’s already made it and (via his contract) is virtually set up until his mid 20s already...

For all of these reasons, I foresee less than 10 starts and not much to write home about.

Thank God it’s only a loan.

You could say the same about Conor Gallagher before he joined Palace . Signed a New 5 year contract, mixed but positive spells with Charlton, West Brom, and Swansea - turns up at Palace , is their POTS and earns an England debut. Or someone called Fikayo Tomori - another Chelsea CB loaned to Derby when he was 20 - and another POTS…and so on

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For anyone interested I’ve heard why this loan only came about, Colwill was a player we had interest in before the Cucurella deal. On the day Albion made the club statement a deal couldn’t be done as we wanted Colwill for £12m plus £50m for Cucurella. Because Chelsea stalled on this Albion asked for another £12m for Cucurella which they agreed to the following day. They agreed to loan Colwill for nothing as part of the deal to get Cucurella.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You could say the same about Conor Gallagher before he joined Palace . Signed a New 5 year contract, mixed but positive spells with Charlton, West Brom, and Swansea - turns up at Palace , is their POTS and earns an England debut. Or someone called Fikayo Tomori - another Chelsea CB loaned to Derby when he was 20 - and another POTS…and so on

Ah yes - young Tomori. Did we try to make him a permanent deal - or should we have?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here