Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Levelling Up Fund - £9.5 million for HOVE!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Call me silly if you like, but somehow I thought this Levelling Up Fund thingy was to award money to deprived areas of the country to help a process of "Levelling Up", just as it says on the tin?

I was very surprised therefore to see a large notice board on Hove promenade yesterday announcing "We're creating a new public park between the King Alfred Leisure Centre and Hove Lagoon" and informing me that "The scheme has been awarded £9.5 million from the government's Levelling Up Fund".

There must surely have been a mistake somewhere. How can Hove Actually possibly qualify for Levelling Up money? It makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Read an article that said loads of levelling up money has gone to nice middle class neighbourhoods and especially traditionally Tory areas. So it's actually just a political thing to sweeten voters than help those that need the most help.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The money should be spent on fixing the roads, properly. Not just papering over the many cracks and divots in the roads but actually fixing them properly and reinforcing the roads which get absolutely spanked by buses. There have been so many developments all over the city in the last few years but the roads seem to be totally ignored and the state of them now is absolutely disgraceful. A friend of mine is a Paramedic and he was saying that there are roads in the City they simply can't use when transporting someone to the hospital because it just throws everything and everyone around. It's a disgrace.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Read an article that said loads of levelling up money has gone to nice middle class neighbourhoods and especially traditionally Tory areas. So it's actually just a political thing to sweeten voters than help those that need the most help.
Hugely disproportionate amounts are going to marginal constituencies. They are also going on things which are very visible. They want tory election leaflets of candidates standing in front of shiny new buildings.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's pork barrel politics. The reason why the Tories were so furious when that Rishi speech in Tunbridge Wells emerged claiming he'd diverted money from the north to places like that wasn't because it was what was happening but because he said the quiet part out loud.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Its all about politics, not about need. Mid Sussex, Tory stronghold at district council level and massive majority in the parliamentary election, has failed to get funding on two occasions to help start the redevelopment of the Martlets centre in Burgess Hill. Thousands wasted in consultants to advise on the bids plus another bid to the investment zone fund announced by Truss then kicked into touch when Sunak closed the scheme. Mind you, that whole redevelopment is another example of why Tories can't be trusted to run a bath never mind a council.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Call me silly if you like, but somehow I thought this Levelling Up Fund thingy was to award money to deprived areas of the country to help a process of "Levelling Up", just as it says on the tin?

I was very surprised therefore to see a large notice board on Hove promenade yesterday announcing "We're creating a new public park between the King Alfred Leisure Centre and Hove Lagoon" and informing me that "The scheme has been awarded £9.5 million from the government's Levelling Up Fund".

There must surely have been a mistake somewhere. How can Hove Actually possibly qualify for Levelling Up money? It makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing.
The whole scheme is a joke. If the government really want to bring areas up to the same level as others there needs to be a long term sustainable strategy and continued investment …..not just a short term cash bung.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hugely disproportionate amounts are going to marginal constituencies. They are also going on things which are very visible. They want tory election leaflets of candidates standing in front of shiny new buildings.
Let's hope the shiny new buildings include modern, clean public loos! They can spend the other £0.5M on what they like ..........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here