REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
dick by name, dick by nature :)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Watching football is a pastime well known these days to attract yobbish, drunken, beer-swilling louts in their hundreds.

im sure the problem was much worse in the old days

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Falmer is the wrong location

I think it is a travesty that the relocation of Brighton and Hove Albion has been proposed at a rural retreat such as Falmer.

Yes, there are plenty of pros which can be put foward, with all sorts of reasons for a stadium being built there, such as jobs and so on.

But what about the cons?
advertisement

Watching football is a pastime well known these days to attract yobbish, drunken, beer-swilling louts in their hundreds.

Just imagine the hordes of these people singing and chanting their rubbish, destroying the tranquillity at Falmer.

I sincerely hope Ruth Kelly has the foresight to acknowledge this likelihood, see through this flawed plan and give a wholehearted thumbs down to this dreadful scheme. The traffic flow both entering and leaving the Falmer area will be chaotic and the rest of the population will have to suffer hold-ups on the road when visiting Brighton. If that happens the city will end up being boycotted by shoppers on match days.

If this football club must have a ground, why not redevelop the acres of unused downland that surrounds Brighton? It is only ever used by a minuscule amount of the local population.

Here the stadium could be linked to the Brighton bypass and landscaped to fit in with the South Downs perfectly.

# Dick Robertson, Tongdean Lane, Brighton

Surely that's a wind-up! It almost looks like an edited Easy 10 job. I would have thought that it would have the opposite effect if any on anyone reading it.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think it is a travesty that the relocation of Brighton and Hove Albion has been proposed at a rural retreat such as Falmer.
By rural you mean the village with the main West-East road running through it?

Yes, there are plenty of pros which can be put foward, with all sorts of reasons for a stadium being built there, such as jobs and so on.
EXACTLY!!
But what about the cons?

Just imagine the hordes of these people singing and chanting their rubbish, destroying the tranquillity at Falmer.

Not all football fans are drunken yobbish louts, only a few individuals. And I must add that in all the times ive been to Withers over the years ive NEVER seen any yobbish behaviour!

I sincerely hope Ruth Kelly has the foresight to acknowledge this likelihood, see through this flawed plan and give a wholehearted thumbs down to this dreadful scheme. The traffic flow both entering and leaving the Falmer area will be chaotic and the rest of the population will have to suffer hold-ups on the road when visiting Brighton. If that happens the city will end up being boycotted by shoppers on match days.

Nothing worse than being at Withdean, infact it would probably be EASIER to get out of town with Falmer

If this football club must have a ground, why not redevelop the acres of unused downland that surrounds Brighton? It is only ever used by a minuscule amount of the local population.

I thaught thats what we were doing at Falmer?

Here the stadium could be linked to the Brighton bypass and landscaped to fit in with the South Downs perfectly.

Dick Robertson, Tongdean Lane, Brighton

Would you rather we stayed on your doorstep?

If thats all thats up against us then im not worried!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
surely a wind up letter?

Deano's Right Foot said:

But what about the cons?
advertisement

# Dick Robertson, Tongdean Lane, Brighton

Surely that's a wind-up! It almost looks like an edited Easy 10 job. I would have thought that it would have the opposite effect if any on anyone reading it.

Allow me to paraphrase.

I am a NIMBY. Please do not allow the thugs to destroy my duckpond. I am going to ignore all of the positive impacts of the stadium (while still acknowledging them) and concentrate on the terrible impact it will have on the duckpond. Please save the duckpond.

# Dick McNIMBY, NIMBYville, Brighton

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I had a letter printed in the Argus a while back aimed at a Falmer resident who used the phrase "100's of hooligans rampaging through the village, drunk and urinating in the pond"

I asked her to tell me the last time she saw 100's of hooligans at or around a BHA game.

Never did get a reply....?

PS. Dick is not listed in the phone book.

scooter1

How soon is now?
What disturbs me more is that the Argus see fit to print this nonsence once a month or so, it makes me wonder who's side they are on. Constant bad publicity for the proposed ground will inevitably be passed to people who may be able to sway favour - if you throw enough mud etc etc..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
scooter1 said:
What disturbs me more is that the Argus see fit to print this nonsence once a month or so, it makes me wonder who's side they are on. Constant bad publicity for the proposed ground will inevitably be passed to people who may be able to sway favour - if you throw enough mud etc etc..
Nah, the Letters Editor is bored and fancied spicing things up a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here