Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter from the club to STH

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sorry cant quite understand this. Whether it is 4 or 9 games If your child cant go what on earth is wrong with taking adult friend and upgrading. Win win for club as long as person pays for upgrade. Whats the alternative. An empty seat and prob child wont renew.
It's because perhaps some people will buy a very cheap child season ticket with the intention of very many upgrades. It works out cheaper than buying a full adult ticket.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1449854911507.png

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Totally fair enough. Six upgrades is plenty.

It did put me briefly in mind of the dilemma I used to have at the Goldstone as a seventeen year old when, having been out drinking under age, I'd smuggle 10 B&H in to the deepest recesses of my ski jacket, suck on an Extra Strong Mint and try to get in for half price.

I wonder if the club will take note and try and recover the losses from this era (plus interest!)

Some of the younger fans struggle to go to any evening match. Given the number of these that are happening now I'm going to struggle to keep my son's season ticket next year.

The old system of paying the difference between a child's season ticket price and the full price when upgrading seems to me to be a lot fairer all round.

Yes, and there are already more than 6 scheduled or played evening games.

Think there are 7, three of which are on Friday nights. School night games might not be suitable for the very young but surely Friday nights should be a treat! That said, perhaps the club should not limit it to 6 but restrict it to midweek evening games and games that are rearranged for tv. That could mean less than 6 but at the end of the day it is really only school nights that should be the issue.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Think there are 7, three of which are on Friday nights. School night games might not be suitable for the very young but surely Friday nights should be a treat! That said, perhaps the club should not limit it to 6 but restrict it to midweek evening games and games that are rearranged for tv. That could mean less than 6 but at the end of the day it is really only school nights that should be the issue.

Aren't we up to 8 with Brentford now? Anyway, it's not the day as much as the time. We wouldn't be back before 11pm and that's way too late for a kid whose usual bedtime is 8pm (he's an early-to-bed and early-to-rise type).

If they allowed upgrades for every evening match that would sort me out, but of course that wouldn't work for others whose kids couldn't get to other matches some times. It does feel like the club either hasn't thought this one through form the perspective of their younger audience, or have done but don't care enough to provide a sensible solution.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry cant quite understand this. Whether it is 4 or 9 games If your child cant go what on earth is wrong with taking adult friend and upgrading. Win win for club as long as person pays for upgrade. Whats the alternative. An empty seat and prob child wont renew.

I guess it's aimed at trying to avoid the following senario:
If someone buys a kids St and the kid then only uses it once or twice over the whole season and for the rest of the games it's then upgraded to a full adult ticket on a match by match basis, this has a larger cost (time and money) than if it had been an adult ticket all along.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Is this a letter that has been posted out, or is it just on the website?

If the former, I haven't received it (just a Christmas card). If the latter, I don't often look on there.

Or has it just been sent to those who have concession season tickets (which would make more sense)?

I was in the club shop this morning, and said that as I was here, I would pick up my half season ticket, and save them the postage. But the chap said that he could not do this as a letter had to go out as well, so presume this is what was talking about.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Aren't we up to 8 with Brentford now? Anyway, it's not the day as much as the time. We wouldn't be back before 11pm and that's way too late for a kid whose usual bedtime is 8pm (he's an early-to-bed and early-to-rise type).

If they allowed upgrades for every evening match that would sort me out, but of course that wouldn't work for others whose kids couldn't get to other matches some times. It does feel like the club either hasn't thought this one through form the perspective of their younger audience, or have done but don't care enough to provide a sensible solution.[/QUOTE]

It says it can be upgraded upto 6 times, then it will be upgraded to an adult ticket for the rest of the season, they probably take the view that if it is being upgraded a lot, then was it truly meant to be a ST for a kid (especially if this limit is reached early into the season)?

It could be that a ST is taken out at the cheapest price (under 10's) to secure a seat, then upgraded to an adult for just the games that someone could actually make, which could work out cheaper than if they only brought the full price tickets for the matches they attended with the ST discounts received.

BTW - Are you able to downgrade a ticket from adult to child?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not to bothered about this myself, what does annoy is that they announce this and assorted other bollocks but still haven't announced details of the Hull cup game.

Could it be that Hull v the Albion is the DREAM TV match and therefore BT and the BBC are fighting over the rights to show it live?

I think 'officially' the kick off time can't be confirmed until the TV companies have announced the schedule.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Could it be that Hull v the Albion is the DREAM TV match and therefore BT and the BBC are fighting over the rights to show it live?

I think 'officially' the kick off time can't be confirmed until the TV companies have announced the schedule.

Hull announced details on their website 9 hours ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just don't have kids, simple[emoji57] [emoji106]

It's not always kids. I have a senior concession ticket, and will miss a couple of home games due to circumstances. I have a friend who uses my ticket, but always pays the upgrade. Fortunately, it comes under the 6 times allowed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

If they allowed upgrades for every evening match that would sort me out, but of course that wouldn't work for others whose kids couldn't get to other matches some times. It does feel like the club either hasn't thought this one through form the perspective of their younger audience, or have done but don't care enough to provide a sensible solution.

Forgot about Forest as away on holiday.

Forest
Rotherham
Bristol
Ipswich
Brentford
Sheffield Wed
Fulham

LIke I suggested though, if all evening games allowed an upgrade that should be sufficient. I don't think the club should allow unlimited upgrades for Saturdays just because children have something else to do, eg parties, sleepovers etc. The system then becomes subject to a lot of abuse. The price for U10s is very cheap, I think as low as £70 for the East Stand, thats less than £3 per game.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's not always kids. I have a senior concession ticket, and will miss a couple of home games due to circumstances. I have a friend who uses my ticket, but always pays the upgrade. Fortunately, it comes under the 6 times allowed.
Don't get old then [emoji57] [emoji106]

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Maybe people are getting back for all the dross served in the past? I mean if any of us get a free pie by mistake or too much change no one hands it back because low value for money at other times. All very well buying into this emotional blackmail about robbing Tony but frankly everyone has taken something or turned a blind eye when had chance. The bigger then business, the less people feel guilty. And let's face it, the lossss aren't because of the odd person sneaking in on a child pass. It's paying the likes of CMS silly money for average performances. Such is football. Tony has been super generous. But he's still a very rich man so sure many people think they can try and get away with.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've probably missed it hidden in the letter somewhere, but does anyone know when the 6 upgrades rule comes/came into force please?

Will it apply from:

The beginning of this season?

As of time of writing for that letter?

The beginning of next season?

Thanks.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
As far as I can tell with the club having been enforcing it recently it's from the start of this season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've probably missed it hidden in the letter somewhere, but does anyone know when the 6 upgrades rule comes/came into force please?

Will it apply from:

The beginning of this season?

As of time of writing for that letter?

The beginning of next season?

Thanks.

The beginning of this season. I'm down to 2 upgrades left. The next time you upgrade they will almost certainly tell you how many you have remaining.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Totally fair enough. Six upgrades is plenty.

It did put me briefly in mind of the dilemma I used to have at the Goldstone as a seventeen year old when, having been out drinking under age, I'd smuggle 10 B&H in to the deepest recesses of my ski jacket, suck on an Extra Strong Mint and try to get in for half price.

Speak for yourself.

I don't really want to go into detail on here but have been upgrading a family ticket on a match by match basis as a family member isn't well enough to attend.

One of my friends who came to a few of the games has just bought a half season ticket. There's no way in hell he would've bought match by match tickets at £40-odd quid and would never have fallen in love with the albion.

Was also dealt with in a very upsetting way by ticket office staff (despite not having reached the magical 6 upgrades ).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't understand why the letter's author has conflated limiting upgrades with adults trying to get in using kids tickets. These are two separate issues. Am I missing sonerhing? In fact, I don't even see a reason to mention this latter point at all; all the club need to do is enforce the pre-existing rule.

Damned right. Completely different issues and disgraceful they've been mentioned in the same breath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here