Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's talk about Skalak

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Look up his wiki entry. Suggests he's not been a game changer for anybody anytime ever. For sure seems to be big on enthusiasm, as he would be living his dream in England, but seems equally, sadly, short on skill. Guess some people need more evidence than others :shrug:

He's a full Czech international, who will be playing in the Euros this summer, so hardly lacking in skill. He produced the only creativity today.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He's a full Czech international, who will be playing in the Euros this summer, so hardly lacking in skill. He produced the only creativity today.

If you want to play the 'Czech international' card, the player's stats for a 'striker/winger' are pretty poor (appearances not in brackets, goals scored in brackets, can't be arzed to format it into an easily readable table)

National team‡
2007–2008 Czech Republic U16 6 (5)
2008 Czech Republic U17 4 (0)
2009 Czech Republic U18 5 (0)
2009–2011 Czech Republic U19 24 (3)
2012 Czech Republic U20 1 (1)
2012–2015 Czech Republic U21 17 (1)
2015– Czech Republic 5 (0)

Sorry, but just not convinced by either his CV or his limited cameo performances for the Albion to date. My fault, I'm sure :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I just need the evidence of my own eyes really. Runs about a bit, lives his personal dream, doesn't make a lot of difference.

I 'll tell you what, on the evidence of some of those crosses today, if we get a certain someone in at the end of the month to get on the end of them, and what with Murphy, Knockaert and KLL as well, Skalak could be a mouthwatering prospect for the run in, either from the bench or starting.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He was ok, no more. He was clear on the touchline at one point with an obvious pass to Bobby who was in the right side of the defender but he chose to cut back. Games are made and lost of such decisins

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Looked better than most today, but didn't track back to defend well enough - Murphy does that better.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Judging by the battering all the positives threads from this week took today.

I suggest we hammer Jiri into the ground this afternoon, and certainly not open a fan club or praise any tactical astuteness.

Oh do shut up. You know you want people to criticise him so you can play your tedious voice of reason role again.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He was my player that has helped me forget this blip in our march to the promised land. Good buy me thinks. Looks comfortable at this level.

And on a side note, Cardiff were probably the most awful side I have seen at the Amex this season and we destroyed them 1-1!! This was a real kick in the guts because of that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh do shut up. You know you want people to criticise him so you can play your tedious voice of reason role again.
Oh dear god not this AGAIN!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Not too bad, fabulous cross for the goal, but the team were off their game today and that didn't help him. I think on todays evidence he will be a useful member of the squad.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Really unfair comparing him to Manu who never did enough to justify a starting position. At least Skalak has shown the manager enough to get a starting berth in an important league game. For his first ever start in English football I don't think he has anything to be disgraced by. And a nice assist too.

He's also at the disadvantage of having had Calde, and then a not-yet-fit Rosenior behind him. If he had a fully it Rosenior or Bong backing him up then perhaps he'd have been able to do a little more.

Let's not forget that Murphy hasn't looked great in most of the games he's overlapped with Calde

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Judging by the battering all the positives threads from this week took today.

I suggest we hammer Jiri into the ground this afternoon, and certainly not open a fan club or praise any tactical astuteness.
Why do you want to 'hammer' Skalak ? ???

Are you as big a tool as your post suggests ? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why do you want to 'hammer' Skalak ? ???

Are you as big a tool as your post suggests ? ???
Because we spent all this week enjoying Hughton's tactical ability, and raving about Goldson.
Neither lived up to the hype today.

I'm suggesting we should apply some *reverse psychology.

*Not a serious suggestion.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Because we spent all this week enjoying Hughton's tactical ability, and raving about Goldson.
Neither lived up to the hype today.

I'm suggesting we should apply some *reverse psychology.

*Not a serious suggestion.
So why single out Skalak ? ???

What is your problem with him ?

Why stick the boot in ? ??? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here