Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's have a nice civilised chat about Jason Steele

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I honestly reckon some of the people on here want John Sullivan back. (fine keeper that he was)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Back up keeper must be a tough gig and difficult for player and club to get the right individual………..he seems ideal. Right temperament for it, seemingly great around the squad and good enough when called upon.
He is an excellent pro and I’m glad he’s got a new contract but can’t help feel we need another back up to challenge/push both he and Steele.

Expect the club expect that to be Rushworth however expect he would rather a Championship loan next season to kick on; unless the plan is sell Sanchez and promote Rushworth next season?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He is an excellent pro and I’m glad he’s got a new contract but can’t help feel we need another back up to challenge/push both he and Steele.

Expect the club expect that to be Rushworth however expect he would rather a Championship loan next season to kick on; unless the plan is sell Sanchez and promote Rushworth next season?
The trouble with being a back-up keeper is that you hardly ever get to play. It's not like an outfiled player like Billy Gilmour where there's no chance he's selected ahead of Caicedo or Mac, but he'll still get valuable minutes as a second half sub most weeks or get a start when someone is unavailable through injury or suspendion.

A back-up keeper that could genuinely challenge Sanchez for number 1 spot would cost us 5-10m in transfer fees with wages in the region of 1-2m per year. It's not an efficient use of money for a player that will possibly be sat on the bench for 38 PL games, and that's if you could attract a young ambitious keeper to do this in the first place. As you say, Rushworth would probably prefer to be furthering his development on loan in the Championship until he's ready to be number 1.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Neat and tidy. Looked an excellent understudy and when the time comes for Sanchez to be bought for tens of millions by one of the big Spanish clubs, he'll slot right in.

papachris

Thought he had a good game today. Good distribution and one occasion I remember he had great anticipation to get to the ball before Salah after Tariq had made a block and the loose ball was in the penalty area.
I also liked that he held the ball most of the time not palming it away

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Excellent distribution, good handling and very calm.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sanchez is clearly better, but as a backup I like him

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With the sad demise of the Football Combination and our own rise up the Football League and now the EPL, the dynamic of the Albion reserve keeper has changed drastically.

They are a different breed almost now, exchanging regular first team football for fairly decent wages through relative inactivity.

We probably won’t really appreciate how good he is until he’s gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here