Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's have a nice civilised chat about Jason Steele

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But Sanchez makes cock-ups and has a bad attitude. Again, no goalie is perfect so you have to take them in the round. Being good with his feet and being courageous are top attributes for a modern GK and I guess RDZ puts a high value on them in the context of the way he wants us to play. Hence preferring Steele over Sanchez.
without the rest of the team to make the style work confidently, i reckon i'd rather kept Sanchez. Steele has been a revelation but is rather too dependent on the team not allowing many chances on goal.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I have a very simplistic view of football & along with a striker that misses, the goalie is going to get a lot of flak when he lets in a goal. This new style of play we have means he's a goalie and a 'player'. He's involved rather than just standing there waiting (obviously I'd like him not to have to do anything at all, same as the defenders but it doesn't work like that). He's effectively been given 2 jobs, in the same way that Dunk has to block on the goal line as well.
This style of play is all about 'teamwork' everyone has to chip in but the most important part, is that we have to keep the ball. If it takes him 5 mins with the ball under his feet waiting for the opposition to get frustrated so much that they come forward & leave a gap for him to pass to someone, that's fine by me (obviously the boo's from our fan's the other day, mean we don't agree).
A lot of the way we play is about mind games with the opposition, not just the opposition players but also the fans. We want their fans to get frustrated as well so that they start on their team to press. What we don't want, is for our lot to start shouting 'stop fannying around at the back' or booing. I was a big fan of Sanchez but seeing him kick it out to no where the other day made me realise why he isn't suited to our new style of play. Steele got an assist to Mitoma's goal & I don't think that was a fluke..
The whole team seem to have lost their way a bit with inaccurate passes & not challenging (at least for the 1st half of recent games). With the exception of Lamptey, when he 1st came back he seemed tentative, now he seems to have to the attitude of 'f@@k 'em. I want the ball'. I can't remember having previous worries that he was going to be sent off if he didn't calm down, but I did on Thur! 😮 I haven't seen enough of Bart to make much of a comparison & 7 games into the PL, neither has anyone else.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I'm unsure about Steele, I slightly prefer Verbruggen, but I think that the major issue is the rotation of our keepers.
I know we have to rotate often because of our increased fixture list, however I don't see that working with the "spine" of the team.
Although, that being said, there is surely a bigger issue behind why we are unable to manage a clean sheet which needs to be addressed.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I'm unsure about Steele, I slightly prefer Verbruggen, but I think that the major issue is the rotation of our keepers.
I know we have to rotate often because of our increased fixture list, however I don't see that working with the "spine" of the team.
Although, that being said, there is surely a bigger issue behind why we are unable to manage a clean sheet which needs to be addressed.
That feckin great Moises sized hole
fingers crossed Baleba is the long term answer

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He really doesn't.

He makes saves that he is expected to make, he's super consistent in that regard, but decent saves... no.

Any kind of quality shot against him and he's just not going to get them. He's super consistent in that regard too.

If we have serious ambitions of remaining a top 6 side we need a decent goalkeeper... it's a position that can really be the difference between 0 or 3 points.
Blimey, with such a ringing endorsement, it's amazing the club managed to get top six in the first place! We've got a decent goalkeeper – two, in fact. One of whom helped us become a 'top 6 side' last season. Is he the best keeper in the world? No, clearly not. Does he have many of the attributes that RDZ likes/wants in his goalkeepers? Yes.

Don't tell me, if we don't get a 'decent keeper' in January, the season is going to end terribly...

Steele was exactly the same as Dunk yesterday, an early screw up but followed it with a good game. Those who claim he can't make difficult saves had obviously gone to do something else than watch the match after half time

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think it was a little naive for RDZ to openly say, more than once, that each keeper will play 50% of the games. It ties him a bit if one keeper is completely out form or one proves much better than the other over the season. I mean what if one keeper gets an arm ripped off in a farming/railway incident........

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's a great save. Is he still our player? We signed him for a reason...
I believe he is. Never actually seen him play but saw him warm up v Liverpool a couple of seasons ago and he’s an absolute giant!

As for reason for signing him, it’s a numbers game with keepers, isn’t it? We’ve got 3 out on loan in addition to the ones at the club. I guess the plan is that the best one will be brought back as number 1 and the rest sold for a bit of profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here