Let's catch the scumbag who did this

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What qualifies someone as a scumbag? Bearing in mind we have CCTV evidence that the way they were driving meant it was very likely they were going to hit and quite probably kill someone?
Can you honestly say you haven't driven in an equally reckless fashion?
You've never flown round a corner, taken an important call, pushed into a gap that wasn't there etc etc.

Fortunately the 'hit' aspect is rare.
The 'run' aspect is even rarer.

This whole accident is horrific, and the driver will hopefully be punished accordingly.

But in response to the police handing out 'justice', I'm merely offering up another side.

I imagine there are police officers who have come away from equally horrific situations feeling almost as much sympathy for the assailant as for the victim.

Of course the assailant might just be a scumbag.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It's only an extraordinary piece of good fortune that's led to the chap's survival.

Was it anything to do with he didn't see the car coming? Just wondering as it's a natural reaction to tense the body at the last second?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I have read this fully through now and all I can say is my shock at that video, it's incredibly that the guy survived and I hope he makes a full recovery. The driver is driving like an idiot and deserves blame for that, we have all taken a corner too fast and don;t know how we would react, but you would hope you would stop or never get in that situation. However, anyone with half a heart/brain would have handed themselves in by now unless the thought of being able to live with this is easier than the jail time they will serve. Maybe they have a sick child/relative and they are the only carer and can't bear to think of that person not having them in their life. Needless to say, I am pretty confident that they will be found as there is evidence here and the police will be trying to trace back CCTV to find the car being driven down the roads where there is a clearer view of the driver.

Additionally, regarding how people reacted, the woman that run off may have had a friend or relative killed in the same way and just couldn't take it. Or she may have been scared that she would get in the way or not be able to help.

I think another thing that might have impacted them helping and touching the victim is that there is always the rumor of being sued if you move them and they end up with permanent disabilities/issues. Whether this would actually happen or not doesn't take away from the fact that some (not all) people may have been impacted by that despite how absurd it appears. I agree it would have been better for someone to be able to go over and give initial first aid, but if it had made it worse, their best intentions wouldn't matter.

Overall, a very nasty incident and thankfully the guy is OK.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You've never flown round a corner, taken an important call, pushed into a gap that wasn't there etc etc.

Fortunately the 'hit' aspect is rare.
The 'run' aspect is even rarer.

This whole accident is horrific, and the driver will hopefully be punished accordingly.

But in response to the police handing out 'justice', I'm merely offering up another side.

I imagine there are police officers who have come away from equally horrific situations feeling almost as much sympathy for the assailant as for the victim.

Of course the assailant might just be a scumbag.

For me it's the 'run' aspect that leads to the likely scumbag conclusion. Up to that point this could have happened to almost anyone who drives at some point in their driving lifetime.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Overall, a very nasty incident and thankfully the guy is OK.

Well the term 'OK' must be relative in this instance shirley? He's not lost a limb or a vital 'life-changing' organ, but I'd hazard a guess that a major clatter like that will leave the 53 year old victim suffering a life-changing amount of pain for the rest of his days.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You're asking me have I ever driven INSANELY fast into a blind corner, in a heavily pedestrianized area?

No OF COURSE I ****ing haven't. If that's how you drive, you should definitely have your licence taken away immediately. Anyone who drives like that on a regular basis is a very clear and present danger to the health and safety of anyone living in that area.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Sorry - didn't read whole thread - so it would be best not to try and stem bleeding if it's something like that - IE don't touch them because of potential spinal injuries..?

BREATHING
(Over)
BLEEDING
(Over)
BREAKS
(Over)
BURNS

Remember that and you can't go far wrong.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I've never doubled (plus) the speed limit.
I've never recklessness entered a junction without looking to see who or what is also at the junction at such a speed.

I doubt most on here have driven as recklessly as you clearly have, judging by your post.

The only slight chance that the driver isn't a total scumbag who deserves near-death themselves, is if they are hooning it straight to the hospital as his/her passenger is in anaphylactic shock and are moments away from certain death. Or similar scenario.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've never doubled (plus) the speed limit.
I've never recklessness entered a junction without looking to see who or what is also at the junction at such a speed.

I doubt most on here have not driven as recklessly as you clearly have, judging by your post.

The only slight chance that the driver isn't a total scumbag who deserves near-death themselves, is if they are hooning it straight to the hospital as his/her passenger is in anaphylactic shock and are moments away from certain death. Or similar scenario.

All of this.

Some may disagree with me here, but I'm more annoyed at the initial driving than at the fact they then drove off. Whilst it's still cowardly and despicable, you can at least see the logic to it, if they are banned from driving already etc etc. There is no excuse or logic to the driving that leads up to the crash, unless as put above, they had a passenger who was near death themselves. That is literally the only excuse I can think of, and even then it's still a toughie for taking such risks.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I didn't realise this happened nearly 2 weeks ago, why have the police only just released footage?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're asking me have I ever driven INSANELY fast into a blind corner, in a heavily pedestrianized area?

No OF COURSE I ****ing haven't. If that's how you drive, you should definitely have your licence taken away immediately. Anyone who drives like that on a regular basis is a very clear and present danger to the health and safety of anyone living in that area.
Fair enough, but the point I was, badly, making is we've all at some point had an 'oh shit' moment.
Fortunately of all of us that's ended with 'blimey that was lucky'.

This time nobody was lucky, that doesn't instantly make the driver a scumbag.

Had they 'run' because they were already banned, drunk and on the phone then scumbag doesn't even cover it, and it won't be possible for them to receive enough slaps.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Blimey o'reilly. A little part of me watched it to see if it would shake my memory of my own hit and run - a psychologist said I would remember it one day, but it's been 10 and a bit years. No recollection, but my god what a horrid thing to see and I hope with all my broken bones that the victim recovers as much as is humanly possible.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair enough, but the point I was, badly, making is we've all at some point had an 'oh shit' moment.

Had they 'run' because they were already banned, drunk and on the phone then scumbag doesn't even cover it, and it won't be possible for them to receive enough slaps.

OK, I think I understand your point. I guess we're automatically assuming different things of this driver. When I see most people driving in a built up town area like that, I do assume badly of the person, rather than assuming it's a random one off, and that they usually drive sensibly. That said, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone driving quite THIS fast in such a situation, in the flesh.

We may have to agree to disagree, as I think that driving with that level of carelessness for human life is a bit "scummy".

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I didn't realise this happened nearly 2 weeks ago, why have the police only just released footage?

Why would they release the footage? They have released it because they may require assistance in identifying the driver. They are hardly going to put it up on Youtube saying "Look what happened today!"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm most annoyed that there's a poster on NSC that's shown sympathy for the driver.
:eek:
I'm most definitely not showing sympathy for the driver.
I'm just arguing the black and white that seems to be driver = scumbag deserving of ABH from the police force.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Christ. Simply unbelievable. Actually, no I've never had an "oh shit" moment, as you so strangely put it, because I know how to control a car. And besides, that clearly has NOTHING to do with this case, as any thick c**t with two eyes can plainly see.

So maybe you could just stop digging? Cheers.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Why would they release the footage? They have released it because they may require assistance in identifying the driver. They are hardly going to put it up on Youtube saying "Look what happened today!"
Did I mention YouTube? Surely if they were having trouble identifying the driver this should've been made public sooner

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Took the words out of my mouth. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - the point you're making about taking a corner too fast is irrelevant if it's down a rural country lane for example (still very silly and still could danger someone) but the shocking thing here is it's in the centre of Brighton. And it's ridiculously reckless - I didn't see the car coming on that video. I appreciate the point you're making but I'd like to think almost all of NSC wouldn't drive anything like that - in the middle of the poxy road! As for panicking and stopping - I'm 99.99999999999999% certain I would stop if I hit someone. In fact 100%..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports