Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's catch the scumbag who did this

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Will be interesting to see what our justice system makes of this. For me its simple the driver is never allowed behind the wheel ever again.

Trouble is, there is nothing concrete, barring prison to stop someone who is banned from driving, from actually driving. This idiot might already have been banned. You hear/read countless instances of some idiot driving badly, causing an accident, then it's discovered he's driving without a license/insurance/MOT, or serving a driving ban. Short of banging someone up, what can be done to stop banned people driving ? As others have said, that guy needs a long stretch inside, pure luck the victim is alive, so he should get the 14 rather than the 7.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't mention it earlier as I hadn't read the entire press release & wasn't sure what information had been put out there.

But the Fiat in question was identified and has been located. The appeal today is to try and assist with the identification of the driver.

Lastly, re the passers by in the video, not all of them actually witnessed what happened. Some of them came around the corner to find the chap lying in the road. Their apparent lack of action may have been them wondering what had gone on- whether he'd fallen, was asleep or whatever. Others saw it but were simply stunned. Most people aren't all that good at first aid either, particularly in a panic situation. So whilst they don't all appear to be rushing over, I'm not going to condemn them as such. We all react in different ways.

Let's be clear: there's only one person in that video who deserves condemnation.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not supposed to do that if they may have a spinal injury are you?!

Don't move them if they are breathing. If they are not breathing then any potential spinal injury is less important than the fact that if you don't get them breathing, they'll shortly be dead. So establishing breathing and a clear airway is the critical thing, if you can establish that without touching them, then don't move them and basically keep their body as warm as you can.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think you are both being a bit harsh on the witnesses there. I would have thought every bystander that saw that happen would be in some form of shock. The sound would have been horrifying, I doubt many could believe what they had just seen for a few minutes at least. I think what you are seeing is disbelief, not a lack of first aid training. One guy is doing the first in the basics, and that is phoning the emergency services. The other basic thing to do is to ensure yourself and everybody else is in a position of safety before you start any treatment, so making sure no vehicles were coming down, stopping the traffic would have been essential. The guy is somehow alive, so there has to be some credit beyond what the CCTV shows, that those there did do enough to save his life. Lets hope he pulls through.

This all day long and 100% true. Happened to me where i froze on the spot when i saw a guy on the floor with a serious knife wound to the neck. It wasn't pretty and i was sort of paralyzed

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looks 50-55mph to me.
20 zone?

http://humantransport.org/sidewalks/SpeedKills.htm

Would I have crossed the road there? Probably not ?

I've been in a similiar situation and saw the car coming and managed to dive out of the way much like a footballer in the penalty area. Car still clipped my foot at the same sort of speed but I was not injured. Car driver then lost his rag and played bumper cars all along Shoreham High Street.

Not the only example of a near miss. It happpens occasionally. Too often to lock all of them up.

Last edited:

Didn't mention it earlier as I hadn't read the entire press release & wasn't sure what information had been put out there.

But the Fiat in question was identified and has been located. The appeal today is to try and assist with the identification of the driver.

Lastly, re the passers by in the video, not all of them actually witnessed what happened. Some of them came around the corner to find the chap lying in the road. Their apparent lack of action may have been them wondering what had gone on- whether he'd fallen, was asleep or whatever. Others saw it but were simply stunned. Most people aren't all that good at first aid either, particularly in a panic situation. So whilst they don't all appear to be rushing over, I'm not going to condemn them as such. We all react in different ways.

Let's be clear: there's only one person in that video who deserves condemnation.

Having found a suicide victim i can agree these types of situations can stun you for the first few moments.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think you are both being a bit harsh on the witnesses there. I would have thought every bystander that saw that happen would be in some form of shock. The sound would have been horrifying, I doubt many could believe what they had just seen for a few minutes at least. I think what you are seeing is disbelief, not a lack of first aid training. One guy is doing the first in the basics, and that is phoning the emergency services. The other basic thing to do is to ensure yourself and everybody else is in a position of safety before you start any treatment, so making sure no vehicles were coming down, stopping the traffic would have been essential. The guy is somehow alive, so there has to be some credit beyond what the CCTV shows, that those there did do enough to save his life. Lets hope he pulls through.

I'd agree with this.

I admit, my first instincts would be to call an ambulance, make sure no more traffic comes down the road and speak to the bloke. I wouldn't even DARE move him for fear of back injury (I have no idea if that is right or wrong).

I imagine, on silent CCTV, that would look like I'm doing nothing urgent.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This all day long and 100% true. Happened to me where i froze on the spot when i saw a guy on the floor with a serious knife wound to the neck. It wasn't pretty and i was sort of paralyzed

I went to a crash a couple of months ago where somebody was trapped in a car, unconscious from a serious head injury, and barely breathing. I'd actually seen the back end of the initial impact as I was driving on the opposite carriageway at the time.

As I pulled up thirty seconds or so later, there were maybe ten or fifteen people just standing there, looking at me hopefully and pointing at the car. A couple of guys were trying to wrench the car door open, but the significant majority were so stunned, they didn't really know what do to.

We bob along in our own little worlds 99% of the time, so when anything happens that's out of the ordinary, it throws us. It doesn't make us bad people (most of the time). I also think people are worried about doing the wrong thing, especially when it comes to first aid. In that particular situation, I kept asking myself whether I should try to drag this guy out of his car. I decided that we'd cut his seatbelt off in case we needed to move quickly. Then, all the time I could hear him breathing, however rattly & shallow it was, I'd hold his head steady, try and stem the bleeding, and leave him where he was. If he stopped breathing, then we'd try and drag him out.

Eventually, the paramedics arrived (thank God, that sort of scenario makes five or six minutes feel like a lifetime) and he was extracted. Turned out he had a broken neck in addition to his other injuries, so I think- hope- it was the right call.

Passing doctors and nurses- and you wouldn't believe how often there is one- are always brilliant when things like this happen. There should be one on every corner :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

That's excellent news. Which presumably narrows it down to either the car being driven while stolen, and/or two people in the front trying to pin the blame on the other as being the driver.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Passing doctors and nurses- and you wouldn't believe how often there is one- are always brilliant when things like this happen. There should be one on every corner :)

Amen to that, thank God there was Nurse passing when a lorry decided to pull out in front of me, crushing my beloved Vespa and throwing me up in the air much like the CCTV footage... Everyone just stood around in shock who saw it happen, she was a diamond.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Having found a suicide victim i can agree these types of situations can stun you for the first few moments.

I found one of those once, It didn't stun me as I knew what I was looking for I just remember thinking I'm glad your dead fella as I wouldn't fancy giving you the kiss of life.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with pretty much everthing above - horrific !

Couple of points from me:
1/ Got a £40 dash-cam for Xmas - hope I never need to depend on it but after several close shaves where it would have been my word against someone else - the power of video evidence is the best witness statement anyone can have - small investment might save me my excess, or more, one day.

2/ In that clip, I'm horrified that no one, in the first 60 seconds, appears to make any attempt at first aid. Clearly the paramedics will be needed and the fella in the middle of the road looks like he's making a 999 call. But there are several other people lurking around and one chap stood over him, and its clear none of them know what to do [basics] in that situation.

Sure, it's shocking for anyone not well versed in emergency first aid, but there are some very basic, yet potentially life saving actions, that can be done in the first 3 minutes that can make the difference to life or death. I sincerely believe that these skills should be added to the school curriculum. As a cricket coach, I have to do an emergency first aid refresher every 3 years - its a 3 hour course. If kids did 3 hours once a year at senior school, they would be able to do the necessary while waiting for professional help to arrive.

I owe my life to a track marshal at Brands Hatch that. within 20 seconds, had cleared my airway after I had "swallowed my tongue" - the doctor that arrived within 3-4 minutes might have been too late - anyone can learn these skills.

Sorry, makes me angry .....

Completely agree with you. I can't handle things like that very well but would like to think I'd have done something (easy to sit here and say that I know...) Just out of interest, what would be the basics in that situation - I'm not ashamed to ask and of course, should know. Personally I'd take off jumper to try and stem the bleeding? I'd most certainly be on the 999 call asking for advice and following instructions - that would be my first thought...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I found one of those once, It didn't stun me as I knew what I was looking for I just remember thinking I'm glad your dead fella as I wouldn't fancy giving you the kiss of life.

Not really the done thing any more, at least not like it used to be.

Chest compressions are the thing these days, as the theory goes that putting oxygen into somebody's body by breathing for them is no bloody use if the heart isn't beating anyway. The residual oxygen in the blood should do in the short term, so long as it's being circulated.

Thirty compressions to a couple of breaths (for adults), then repeat. If it helps, or you're likely to lose count (like me), then sing the chorus from Nellie the Elephant to yourself twice while you're doing it. If you're doing the compressions in time, then that's your thirty. Whether you sing out loud or in your head is up to you :D

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just noticed that a woman walking towards accident sees it happen then hot foots back from whence she came. Unbelievable.

That's not at all unbelievable, there are people that quite simply cannot handle these situations. You have no idea of her mental state or whatever made her choose not to want to see the grim reality of what had just occurred. I for one certainly could do nothing other than call the emergency services, as I for one cannot handle these situations, and it is nothing to be ashamed of.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not really the done thing any more, at least not like it used to be.

Chest compressions are the thing these days, as the theory goes that putting oxygen into somebody's body by breathing for them is no bloody use if the heart isn't beating anyway. The residual oxygen in the blood should do in the short term, so long as it's being circulated.

Thirty compressions to a couple of breaths (for adults), then repeat. If it helps, or you're likely to lose count (like me), then sing the chorus from Nellie the Elephant to yourself twice while you're doing it. If you're doing the compressions in time, then that's your thirty. Whether you sing out loud or in your head is up to you :D

Yep, I guess you don't want to sing it out loud.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As a first aider myself I think my concern would be more traffic coming down the road. Clearly it wouldn't be wise to move him as he has potentially serious spinal injuries. Checking the airway is clear and that he is breathing would have been my first port of call, followed by finding some way of blocking the victim from other road users.

What dash cam did you go for? I've wanted one for a while but would love a recommendation.

Agree with pretty much everthing above - horrific !

Couple of points from me:
1/ Got a £40 dash-cam for Xmas - hope I never need to depend on it but after several close shaves where it would have been my word against someone else - the power of video evidence is the best witness statement anyone can have - small investment might save me my excess, or more, one day.

2/ In that clip, I'm horrified that no one, in the first 60 seconds, appears to make any attempt at first aid. Clearly the paramedics will be needed and the fella in the middle of the road looks like he's making a 999 call. But there are several other people lurking around and one chap stood over him, and its clear none of them know what to do [basics] in that situation.

Sure, it's shocking for anyone not well versed in emergency first aid, but there are some very basic, yet potentially life saving actions, that can be done in the first 3 minutes that can make the difference to life or death. I sincerely believe that these skills should be added to the school curriculum. As a cricket coach, I have to do an emergency first aid refresher every 3 years - its a 3 hour course. If kids did 3 hours once a year at senior school, they would be able to do the necessary while waiting for professional help to arrive.

I owe my life to a track marshal at Brands Hatch that. within 20 seconds, had cleared my airway after I had "swallowed my tongue" - the doctor that arrived within 3-4 minutes might have been too late - anyone can learn these skills.

Sorry, makes me angry .....

In a situation like that, so long as the casualty is breathing, you should not touch them. With the incident that I spoke of in my previous post, many people wanted to place her in the recovery position, but thankfully others knew not to move her. When the paramedics arrived they praised that decision and we was told that could make a huge difference between fully paralysed and making a recovery.

When somebody is hit with that amount of impact, you have to suspect a large amount of broken bones, including the vertebrae.

Don't move them if they are breathing. If they are not breathing then any potential spinal injury is less important than the fact that if you don't get them breathing, they'll shortly be dead. So establishing breathing and a clear airway is the critical thing, if you can establish that without touching them, then don't move them and basically keep their body as warm as you can.

Sorry - didn't read whole thread - so it would be best not to try and stem bleeding if it's something like that - IE don't touch them because of potential spinal injuries..?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Glad you asked as I meant to. Just looked up what I'm pretty sure was a reg no and it says not recognised. Curiouser and curiouser.

Edna, are people like this worth reporting? I mean people get annoyed with other road users all the time, so it would be hard to separate the wheat from the chaf I guess?

I had someone block me off at the bottom of the A24 at the Washington roundabout going north a few months ago, he turned into the front of me and nearly caused me to crash and then sped off. I got the reg no. and the car make but by the time I got home wondered what the point was of reporting as I had no evidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here