Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's catch the scumbag who did this

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Awful , amazing how the body could survive such a impact , interesting after the impact the scumbag driver brakes then thinks nahhh fk it i'm off
Lets hope the cameras do their job and nail the driver .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Really hope they catch the **** that did that.

To be honest, that corner and junction is an accident waiting to happen. Not seen anyone quite as stupid as that one, but the speed some drivers come round that corner is mental.

I am shocked that you have witnessed other cars speeding through it because there isn't really anything wrong with that junction. You cannot make roads idiot proof.

The driver took that corner as if on a racing track and couldn't have gone any faster. That was horrific and apart from a hefty prison sentence a lifetime driving ban should apply.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Mind numbing, I'd be confident the Bobbies will track down the car by checking cctv in and around the area. The victim must be made of rubber to have survived that, quite amazing how often people survive serious accidents whilst others die from minor shunts.
A little disappointed that so many stood transfixed so long. I know some can't handle stuff like that, but would hope there's someone a bit braver around if it happens to me. Seconds can count sometimes.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Jeez, that made me feel quite ill. Amazed the chap is making a good recovery. As has been said previously the driver should be facing an attempted murder charge.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Agree with pretty much everthing above - horrific !

Couple of points from me:
1/ Got a £40 dash-cam for Xmas - hope I never need to depend on it but after several close shaves where it would have been my word against someone else - the power of video evidence is the best witness statement anyone can have - small investment might save me my excess, or more, one day.

2/ In that clip, I'm horrified that no one, in the first 60 seconds, appears to make any attempt at first aid. Clearly the paramedics will be needed and the fella in the middle of the road looks like he's making a 999 call. But there are several other people lurking around and one chap stood over him, and its clear none of them know what to do [basics] in that situation.

Sure, it's shocking for anyone not well versed in emergency first aid, but there are some very basic, yet potentially life saving actions, that can be done in the first 3 minutes that can make the difference to life or death. I sincerely believe that these skills should be added to the school curriculum. As a cricket coach, I have to do an emergency first aid refresher every 3 years - its a 3 hour course. If kids did 3 hours once a year at senior school, they would be able to do the necessary while waiting for professional help to arrive.

I owe my life to a track marshal at Brands Hatch that. within 20 seconds, had cleared my airway after I had "swallowed my tongue" - the doctor that arrived within 3-4 minutes might have been too late - anyone can learn these skills.

Sorry, makes me angry .....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

1/ Got a £40 dash-cam for Xmas - hope I never need to depend on it but after several close shaves where it would have been my word against someone else - the power of video evidence is the best witness statement anyone can have - small investment might save me my excess, or more, one day.

2/ In that clip, I'm horrified that no one, in the first 60 seconds, appears to make any attempt at first aid. Clearly the paramedics will be needed and the fella in the middle of the road looks like he's making a 999 call. But there are several other people lurking around and one chap stood over him, and its clear none of them know what to do [basics] in that situation.

Sure, it's shocking for anyone not well versed in emergency first aid, but there are some very basic, yet potentially life saving actions, that can be done in the first 3 minutes that can make the difference to life or death. I sincerely believe that these skills should be added to the school curriculum. As a cricket coach, I have to do an emergency first aid refresher every 3 years - its a 3 hour course. If kids did 3 hours once a year at senior school, they would be able to do the necessary while waiting for professional help to arrive.

I owe my life to a track marshal at Brands Hatch that. within 20 seconds, had cleared my airway after I had "swallowed my tongue" - the doctor that arrived within 3-4 minutes might have been too late - anyone can learn these skills.

i was a bit flumoxed by the lack of urgency from any of the bystanders to be honest....checking airways , pulse and gently rolling into recovery position would have been a start......shocking really.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

All great points.

Dash cams are a great invention, I'd urge anyone who drives to spend £30 on one.
Kids should be taught emergency first aid every year from 10 upwards. Teach people how to save lives, it's not hard but so important!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just noticed that a woman walking towards accident sees it happen then hot foots back from whence she came. Unbelievable.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

As a first aider myself I think my concern would be more traffic coming down the road. Clearly it wouldn't be wise to move him as he has potentially serious spinal injuries. Checking the airway is clear and that he is breathing would have been my first port of call, followed by finding some way of blocking the victim from other road users.

What dash cam did you go for? I've wanted one for a while but would love a recommendation.

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
Feel genuinely queasy after that. I lost my mum in similar circumstances, though she was even on the pavement. Fortunately the driver stopped or at least had to stop in her case. 3 months (approx in jail) wasn't enough but they should throw the book at this tosser, though I suspect, like always, they won't... People who drive like that are ticking bombs.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Genuine question: if you see someone driving like that - esp. in a setting like Rottingdean, always with school kids and the elderly walking around, amongst others - what action should one take? Would the police be interested if you grabbed the registration and gave Crimestoppers a call?

Glad you asked as I meant to. Just looked up what I'm pretty sure was a reg no and it says not recognised. Curiouser and curiouser.

Edna, are people like this worth reporting? I mean people get annoyed with other road users all the time, so it would be hard to separate the wheat from the chaf I guess?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

In a situation like that, so long as the casualty is breathing, you should not touch them. With the incident that I spoke of in my previous post, many people wanted to place her in the recovery position, but thankfully others knew not to move her. When the paramedics arrived they praised that decision and we was told that could make a huge difference between fully paralysed and making a recovery.

When somebody is hit with that amount of impact, you have to suspect a large amount of broken bones, including the vertebrae.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i was a bit flumoxed by the lack of urgency from any of the bystanders to be honest....checking airways , pulse and gently rolling into recovery position would have been a start......shocking really.

Not supposed to do that if they may have a spinal injury are you?!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Will be interesting to see what our justice system makes of this. For me its simple the driver is never allowed behind the wheel ever again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Genuine question: if you see someone driving like that - esp. in a setting like Rottingdean, always with school kids and the elderly walking around, amongst others - what action should one take? Would the police be interested if you grabbed the registration and gave Crimestoppers a call?

You could always report it online at www.operationcrackdown.org (this is a Sussex thing). It may not be possible to prosecute somebody from such report without clear evidence, but all reports are logged, and if particular vehicles/ drivers keep coming to light, then they get targeted with little visits, warning letters, or they might find unmarked police cars sitting up around their usual routes waiting for them etc.

Sometimes prosecutions have been possible- not sure if you saw that footage posted online of the dumper truck driver overtaking a car on the wrong side of a roundabout in Turners Hill village (a 30mph limit). He was prosecuted for dangerous driving and banned, so it can work :thumbsup:

Failing that, you can always report it on 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or by phone on 101, assuming it's not an emergency.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think you are both being a bit harsh on the witnesses there. I would have thought every bystander that saw that happen would be in some form of shock. The sound would have been horrifying, I doubt many could believe what they had just seen for a few minutes at least. I think what you are seeing is disbelief, not a lack of first aid training. One guy is doing the first in the basics, and that is phoning the emergency services. The other basic thing to do is to ensure yourself and everybody else is in a position of safety before you start any treatment, so making sure no vehicles were coming down, stopping the traffic would have been essential. The guy is somehow alive, so there has to be some credit beyond what the CCTV shows, that those there did do enough to save his life. Lets hope he pulls through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here