Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's all laugh at the French......

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I wouldn't be rushing down the bookies to put any money on France turning this around, especially as Koscielny was sent off tonight and therefore misses the 2nd leg. Ukraine will go to Paris and try and park the bus. France have some talented individuals, but collectively they are nowhere near as good as they think they are. Added to which, since Zidane, Desailly and Vieira called it a day, they have a tendency to bottle it when the pressure is really on and the moment results turn bad, the egos come out and the players turn on each other.

Ukraine need to be careful with their tactics in the 2nd leg. If they sit too deep they'll get murdered. France may not have the Zidane's and Henry's anymore, but with the likes of Ribery(arguably the best player in Europe at present) they're more than capable of at least taking this the distance i.e spot-kicks. Don't be surprised to see France get awarded a penalty in normal time when one of their players takes a tumble.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
France have a lot of similarity with England - ageing left back (Evra, Cole), dodgy centre back (Koscielny, Cahill), lightweight but occasionally good midfielders (Nasri, Wilshere), one world class attacker (Ribery, Rooney). I think the main difference is England have Stevie G to lead, whereas France look like a rudderless ship.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
95th minute penalty to make it 2-2 on agg, and France win on spot-kicks.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He may have been sent off tonight, but Laurent Koscielny has otherwise been excellent for Arsenal this season. He seems to be one of those players who has a nightmare once every 10-12 matches, but plays to an extremely high standard at all other times. His performances in the second half of last season played a big part in Arsenal getting 4th place ahead of Tottenham. Seems as though his pig of a match came tonight though given that he got sent off and conceded a penalty that resulted in Ukraine's 2nd goal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Sky are really on the ball they'll do a red button 'PlatiniCam' option for the 2nd leg. It will be priceless watching his garlic-chewed mug contort in anguish as they are bundled out of the one World Cup you really want to be at.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
He may have been sent off tonight, but Laurent Koscielny has otherwise been excellent for Arsenal this season. He seems to be one of those players who has a nightmare once every 10-12 matches, but plays to an extremely high standard at all other times. His performances in the second half of last season played a big part in Arsenal getting 4th place ahead of Tottenham. Seems as though his pig of a match came tonight though given that he got sent off and conceded a penalty that resulted in Ukraine's 2nd goal.

Agreed. Saw him play a few weeks back at the Emirates and he was mustard. Gives away his fair share of penalties, though is otherwise a very good defender. As 'arry would say: a top, top....

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Worse even still, Sweden lost..... Means a good chance of no hot Swedish chics at the World Cup

This is the real issue of the tonight's games. Fingers crossed another itv pundit will sell their ticket allocation to a bunch of Dutch models again (thanks robbie).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yes because you don't want the World Cup to have the best players in the world playing in it, do you?

Not when they are preening self-obsessed pretty-boy tossers who delight in helping getting England players (and club team mates at the time) sent off, no. No I don't.

Besides which, if Ronaldo isn't there, it means Ibrahimović will be.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not when they are preening self-obsessed pretty-boy tossers who delight in helping getting England players (and club team mates at the time) sent off, no. No I don't.

Besides which, if Ronaldo isn't there, it means Ibrahimović will be.

Completely agree. Ronaldo is a tosser. Swedes are not.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

Dear me, that was 7 years ago. Besides which, Wayne Rooney was entirely to blame for that red card because he kicked Carvalho in the crown jewels. Ronaldo's uncalled for intervention made no difference whatsoever to Rooney getting sent off.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Dear me, that was 7 years ago. Besides which, Wayne Rooney was entirely to blame for that red card because he kicked Carvalho in the crown jewels. Ronaldo's uncalled for intervention made no difference whatsoever to Rooney getting sent off.

But would you not rather see ibrahimovic at the world cup?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
But would you not rather see ibrahimovic at the world cup?

Personally, I'd like to see them both at the World Cup as they are both among the top 5 players in the world at the moment. If it has to be one, however, then I'd choose Ronaldo. He has scored 60 goals this calendar year for his club where he has not always received silver service. People might not like him as a person but as a footballer, this year he has been absolutely exceptional. Take him out of the Portugal team and I don't think they would have had a chance of making the World Cup.

It's interesting to see how Ibrahimovic has suddenly become well loved by football supporters at the grand age of 32. It has only taken 10 years for people to properly appreciate him. He's always been a class player who has contributed tangibly towards the success of teams wherever he has played. What has taken people so long?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here