Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leonardo Ulloa

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can anyone explain exactly why he needs a Spanish passport? Obviously an EU passport guarantees a right to work here, but do all/most other S American players in UK leagues have EU passports, rather than just a regular work permit (presumably Ulloa himself has a Spanish work permit, if he doesn't have a passport?). Perhaps this is yet another daft effect of the government's recent tightening up on non-EU immigration, but it'd be interesting to know how Tevez, Suarez and co. get round the problem.

Full International players are certain to get work permits, irrespective of where they're from. Non Internationals won't get one, so they need an EU passport.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What annoys me about that post by Naylor is that we all know this much already. The real questions are. A) Is he eligable? B) Has he applied and C) How long will it take (estimate) if he has applied.

more than a little harsh iin fairness (unusual I know) to Naylor

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Can anyone explain exactly why he needs a Spanish passport? Obviously an EU passport guarantees a right to work here, but do all/most other S American players in UK leagues have EU passports, rather than just a regular work permit (presumably Ulloa himself has a Spanish work permit, if he doesn't have a passport?). Perhaps this is yet another daft effect of the government's recent tightening up on non-EU immigration, but it'd be interesting to know how Tevez, Suarez and co. get round the problem.

I think this was answered earlier in the thread.

Spain (and I recall, Portugal) have agreements with some South American countries regarding immigration/citizenship). We (and most of the rest of Europe) don't, of course!

Once dual citizen of Spain has been granted (i.e. effectively has EU passport) then he can play anywhere in the EU.

International players such as Tevez/Suarez etc. (that play for their country, not simply just of that nationality) can play here direct, get a work permit easier etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It says in the article they are expecting a passport within a few days ?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Spain (and I recall, Portugal) have agreements with some South American countries regarding immigration/citizenship). We (and most of the rest of Europe) don't, of course!

Once dual citizen of Spain has been granted (i.e. effectively has EU passport) then he can play anywhere in the EU.

International players such as Tevez/Suarez etc. (that play for their country, not simply just of that nationality) can play here direct, get a work permit easier etc.

Thanks. Perhaps we should develop similar reciprocal arrangements with S American countries to those that Spain/Portugal have. Or perhaps Ulloa should look for an ancestor from the Falklands... :wink:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Could have something to do with Spain and Portugal having invaded/conquered most of South America between them !

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
excellent. Let him have his passport and have those extra days to lengthen his flapping mane that strokes the middle of his spine, completely confuses opponents and utterly tickles the fancy of ladies from the 80s.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Several Euro Zone countries have such arrangements, I think they are part of the Euro entry veto system. In Cyprus they have a veto so that Russians (possibly Ukranians too) can move there and work without international visas. I think the UK had a veto on not joining the Euro as part of our entry into the EU.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Why can not a deal be done with a clause Spanish passport permitting by such and such a date?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why can not a deal be done with a clause Spanish passport permitting by such and such a date?

I wondered that too. My worry is that one of our Championship rivals will pinch him from us once the passport issue is resolved unless we are very careful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here