Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leonardo Ulloa was an £8 million bargain for Leicester, says Nigel Pearson...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm surprised you don't play it; it's for kids, and you are whinging on and complaining like an entitled brat.

Do you actually understand what entitled means?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
<Daily Mail>: "The Foxes boss knows there were one or two raised eyebrows when he splashed the cash for the 28-year-old.

But it's a gamble that's paying off and Pearson is convinced it's been money well spent.

He said: "When you look at how much players cost right now, I don't think it was expensive.

"We broke our record to get him but we felt he had the qualities we needed - not just in terms of goals, but his link-up play has been excellent too."

The significance for me of this story in today's Daily Mail is that Leicester originally offered £3 million for the player, a derisory amount but an offer that doubtless turned the players head. They ended up paying £8 million and Pearson is implying Albion's valuation of £10 million might actually have been spot on.

How is ANY of this helping football?

Had Leicester paid the going rate at the start we would have had cash in the bank and more time to source a proper replacement, not scrabbling around two weeks before the start of the season and panic-buying O'Grady, Colunga and Baldock. Indeed, this is the reason we sit in 19th place today.

Go fvck yourselves Leicester.

That is a truly bizarre post. When we decide we want a player, would you rather we went in with the maximum amount we would be prepared to pay straight away? 'He's probably worth up to £3 million so let's just offer £3 million, even if it uses up our entire budget'. ??

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Arent we getting £10million based in add ons which look fairly likely to be met? (Them staying up etc). The funny thing is of course that palace fans harped on about this £15mil figure for Zaha when actually it was about £10mil and £15mil with ads ons - none of which I'm sure have been hit... Ironic....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the club let Murray go without securing a replacement and the fact that it took 18 months to secure one says more about our tardiness in signing decent strikers than my over simplifying it. We are back in the same cycle now having got good money for Ulloa but not replacing him. Maybe we have our eye on someone we'll sign in January 2016? :wink:

As soon as that? I can think of good strikers for the Albion and count them on one hand. Ward, Zamora, Knight, Murray and Ulloa. That's in 40 years.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As soon as that? I can think of good strikers for the Albion and count them on one hand. Ward, Zamora, Knight, Murray and Ulloa. That's in 40 years.
Nelson had a pretty decent season in amongst that lot.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Harsh, Byrne, Small, Gotsmanov and we're well into two hands

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Arent we getting £10million based in add ons which look fairly likely to be met? (Them staying up etc). The funny thing is of course that palace fans harped on about this £15mil figure for Zaha when actually it was about £10mil and £15mil with ads ons - none of which I'm sure have been hit... Ironic....

Except he did help them to the Premier League before leaving, and now he's back there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Except he did help them to the Premier League before leaving, and now he's back there.

Yep it was a great deal for them I the end for an ego on legs... I was more referring to the palace trolls bleating on here for months about £15mil this and that! Ulloa did help us to 2 great seasons - never forget that!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That is a truly bizarre post. When we decide we want a player, would you rather we went in with the maximum amount we would be prepared to pay straight away? 'He's probably worth up to £3 million so let's just offer £3 million, even if it uses up our entire budget'. ??

Why is it bizarre? If you valued your house at £300,000 and someone offered £90,000 how would you feel? Leicester had a budget of £8 million, they could afford £8 million, the player was worth £8 million, so why mess about bidding £3 million, then £4 million etc?

By all means offer £5m or £6m, but £3m? Palace in the same position as Leicester even paid Posh £6m for League 1 Dwight Gayle.

My original point was more about the fact it took 2 months to do the deal and the effect that delay has had on our recruitment, and why we are ultimately 19th and now outsiders for a playoff spot.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Why is it bizarre? If you valued your house at £300,000 and someone offered £90,000 how would you feel? Leicester had a budget of £8 million, they could afford £8 million, the player was worth £8 million, so why mess about bidding £3 million, then £4 million etc?

By all means offer £5m or £6m, but £3m? Palace in the same position as Leicester even paid Posh £6m for League 1 Dwight Gayle.

My original point was more about the fact it took 2 months to do the deal and the effect that delay has had on our recruitment, and why we are ultimately 19th and now outsiders for a playoff spot.

I've really no idea why you feel Leicester should have managed it in any other way. It's EXACTLY what we did with Baldock. The idea is to unselttle and get him for much cheaper than he is worth. £3 million is at least 33% more than we paid for him 18 months ago. That's not a bad mark up for a starting point.

It's not Leciesters fault we didn't have a deal ready to go when he left - and even if it was why would they care?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Dean Saunders and Michael Robinson both played for Liverpool after leaving the Albion, Ian Muir became Tranmere's highest ever goal scorer, Frank Worthington, Andy Ritchie, Terry Connor all had success too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Never played it, is it good then?

Plenty of clubs manage to have a decent stream of strikers coming though, being bought or on loan. We are not very successful in securing Championship quality strikers. This is our fourth season in the Championship and we have had a grand total of one striker of the right class for this league, but keep up the facetious comments that actually add nothing to the discussion though.

Glenn Murray has gone though.......

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Arent we getting £10million based in add ons which look fairly likely to be met? (Them staying up etc).....

Indeed we are.

Or rather, Tony Bloom, who has to date spunked over £200 million of his own money on the Albion, won't have to subsidise the club to the same extent this season as he has in recent years.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
He's right though, that said. It's a hindsight issue, to us; £8m was a brilliant piece of business. Did we truly expect Ulloa to be scoring like he had/has been? I can't say I was, but I'm glad for the fella. Truly deserved. If Ulloa's goals contribute to Leicester's survival then it's an absolute bargain for Leicester. However, whether he is or not is a contextual issue that'll have to wait till around late-end of season before anyone can value his real worth.

At the time, £8m was a great bit of business for us. It could turn out that we could have perhaps got more, maybe we wouldn't. Who knows.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's right though, that said. It's a hindsight issue, to us; £8m was a brilliant piece of business. Did we truly expect Ulloa to be scoring like he had/has been? I can't say I was, but I'm glad for the fella. Truly deserved. If Ulloa's goals contribute to Leicester's survival then it's an absolute bargain for Leicester. However, whether he is or not is a contextual issue that'll have to wait till around late-end of season before anyone can value his real worth.

At the time, £8m was a great bit of business for us. It could turn out that we could have perhaps got more, maybe we wouldn't. Who knows.

Seems to me like it was a good deal for all parties. Great for us, great for them, great for him. One party doesn't have to 'win' in a deal.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

We'll know if he plays 20 games this season and Leicester stay up, as it will then be closer to £10 million.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dean Saunders and Michael Robinson both played for Liverpool after leaving the Albion, Ian Muir became Tranmere's highest ever goal scorer, Frank Worthington, Andy Ritchie, Terry Connor all had success too.

Fair comment. I'll drop Knight as he didn't do that much at Championship/Second division level, and definitely include Worthington & Robbo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

And Garry Nelson, who went from journeyman striker to scoring an absolute shedload for us in 1989 and remaining prolific until Barry Lloyd acted like a dickhead.

I think @Thunderbolt's analysis on our inability to spot good strikers is probably better explained by the fact that we couldn't spot ANY good players at all over a 7 or 8 year period, starting in the mid 90s. It was all downhill after we sold Nelson/Byrne/Small for BUTTONS.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ulloa dropped to the bench today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here