Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester City's goal - what happened?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I cannot understand all this not covering the posts with a player in order to get an offside. You are taking a chance that the lino will see it and flag then the ref agree and give it. I would think it is far better to defend the kick and clear the ball away even if into row z, having established the route of the ball it is easy to adjust your position and move out if needed to make the player offside for the 2nd ball, which is more likely to be given

I think, unless someone can point out a team that does otherwise, all top teams will now for for Man to Man OR Zonal as the two require completely different positioning and mindsets. They then hold a line which allows the keeper to come and collect an overhit cross, rather than crowd the keeper into his six yard box by putting players on the post.

We had man to man, an intelligent run by the striker, together with a block creates the chance. It was something Shearer and Sheringham always did for England and have talked at some length about since, and is one of the best ways to combat man to man marking.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Did anybody say Ward should have been marking fresh air?
If you read it again but properly this time you will see I said that the goal came from the position that Ward would and possibly should have been in ie the left back position. Irrespective of who should or should not have been marking him.

I've only just stumbled across this gem of a post :lolol:

No team has ever defended a corner/free kick in this way.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Training ground routine that worked perfectly

Clever run. I hope we are practising the same move this morning. Lopez can provide the free kick. I am not sure who (not a recognised forward) can head in like that. Calderon would seem the best bet. Failing that Stephen Ward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here