Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester City's goal - what happened?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Barnes didn't mark him, it was actually a pretty good goal so I won't take that from King. You could see Barnes' frustration though when they celebrated. But Barnes made up for it and went and earned a penalty and bagged his brace and our 3 points. A clean sheet would have been nice, but at point blank there was not a lot Brez could have done. Barnes and Brez had a great game, when Leicester piled on the pressure, we did well to handle it; we could have perhaps cleared better. But against the then league leaders, to only concede one was a brilliant effort.

I've re-watched the highlights, the way we played was brilliant in the first half. Lopez was playing at least to the level he was last year, if not better in the first half. Lua Lua made some great runs too, his shot looked like it could have gone in had the Leicester defender thrown himself at the ball to block it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don't think there should be too much of a panic; it looked like a perfectly delivered cross and an inch perfect header.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
It was Barnes' man however when he went to track King after he looped round to run to the back post, Barnes was there but the Leicester players already in the middle moved to block Barnes off! Which left King free! A clever free kick routine.

I've watched it a few times now, and it is pretty much how you describe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure who was supposed to be marking who but it was an obvious glaring error to leave somebody free in the position that Ward takes up and perhaps should have been in.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It didn't look like a free-kick to me. Thought it should have gone our way for a high foot but he gave it against elabd instead. Weird, and just after denying us a definite penalty.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It didn't look like a free-kick to me. Thought it should have gone our way for a high foot but he gave it against elabd instead. Weird, and just after denying us a definite penalty.
The foul was on El Abd not the other way round. 2 Leicester players lined up to take the free kick and the wall covered the wrong option. This training ground exercise paid off as King had a free header to score as he was unmarked.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The goal resulted from an initial error by Bruno who had bags of time to control the ball and deliver it upfield. Instead he let it run out for a throw to us near our corner flag. The goal followed from that throw.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure who was supposed to be marking who but it was an obvious glaring error to leave somebody free in the position that Ward takes up and perhaps should have been in.

so Ward was meant to be marking fresh air?...read the posts before...there is one that sums it up perfectly re the run the guy made and barnes being blocked off

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Looked to me like Barnes actually ran into out own players. Good run by King that caught him out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
so Ward was meant to be marking fresh air?...read the posts before...there is one that sums it up perfectly re the run the guy made and barnes being blocked off

Did anybody say Ward should have been marking fresh air?
If you read it again but properly this time you will see I said that the goal came from the position that Ward would and possibly should have been in ie the left back position. Irrespective of who should or should not have been marking him. Most teams in our league operate a man for man. zonal marking system whereby you mark a player but also an area if a player should pop up in that area.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looked to me like Barnes actually ran into out own players. Good run by King that caught him out.

Having just looked at it, it looked like King started a curved run to the back post and Barnes turned to follow, but took a parallel path straight into the crowd of players, blocking him off.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yep, great run by King, Barnes tried to follow but ran into Ince therefore allowing the free header. Looks worse than it is, it was a great run and free kick.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
It was Barnes' man however when he went to track King after he looped round to run to the back post, Barnes was there but the Leicester players already in the middle moved to block Barnes off! Which left King free! A clever free kick routine.

I thought it must have been a sneaky block at first, but watched it a few times and Barnes just runs into some other players. Had it been a planned block it would have been quite a well worked (in a devious dirty side of the game way) goal

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
King looped from the middle, round the back.
The Brighton player marking King didn't go with him.

The nearest 'free' Albion player after the fact was none other than...

...Number 9, Ashley Barnes.

But it's hard to pick out the markers before the free kick so it would be wrong to open that can of worms now.

This, I think. I'm pretty sure that it was Barnes who was supposed to be marking King. Whichever Brighton player it was, he just ran into the crowd of players, while King peeled off on to the back post. Was a good training ground free kick. Sartre said that everything in football is complicated by the opposition. This maxim doesn't apply to that free kick. Brighton/Barnes failed to complicate that routine.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
MP's pay rise of 11% - Barnes is certainly at fault. Had a poor lamb shank today, my wife says the butcher but rest assured Barnes will hear my anger.

Was a well worked move, keeper might even have stopped it at his 'near' post.

Southwick Tunnel is closed again mid-December, and we all know at who's door we need to lay the blame for that.

Barnes OUT.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

At last, post 19 till someone actually spots what happened. It's not an uncommon trick as the defender should be goal side so to get space the attacker merely has to run close to his own players as he tracks back and his own players block the marker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here