Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester Bid £3 /£5/£7.5 million for Ulloa

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
£7m?! Is that a wind up? I'd snap your hand off for £5m, let alone £7m!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would sell Buckley if Sunderland make a silly offer (north of £3m) but hold out for £10M for Ulloa. Sounds stupid money but with SKY cash washing round and one more decent season he will be worth that and more. Hopefully it would scare buyers off but if not then splash half of it on Brit Assombalonga. He will score goals at this level. The other half I would try to tempt Le Fondre from Reading

Last edited:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
£7m?! Is that a wind up? I'd snap your hand off for £5m, let alone £7m!

You and me both. Although having said that, I'd like to see one season of 2 up front. Ulloa clearly isn't the man for a 1 up front team.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Same planet where we only paid 2m for Ulloa in the first place, 1m for Buckley, and a big fat £0 for Bridcutt.

I agree entirely. Not at all sure why you were assumed to be an Alien for suggesting we could get more value from 7 mill than hanging on to Leo. He's done a decent job, but IMO not versatile enough, especially stuck up front on his own. Not at all in the bracket of Peter Ward or Bobby Zamora.
It's not unusual to get a good deal when buying, it's all about having an eye for a bargain.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I would sell Buckley if Sunderland make a silly offer (north of £3m) but hold out for £10M for Ulloa as one more decent season he will be worth that and more. Hopefully it would scare buyers off but if not then splash half of it on Brit Assombalonga. He will score goals at this level. The other half I would try to tempt Le Fondre from Reading

3m for Buckley? Do you seriously think this is likely? Lol

10m for ulloa? Even less unlikely.....

Getting your 1m back for Buckley would be a great result IMO, as for ulloa, 5m at best... IMO of course.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If Burnley had kept Austin, Vokes and Ings wouldn't have got the play time or attention/balls/chances and they'd still be in the Champ, probably borderline play-off side challenging for 6th each season

Of course if they sold him and got in crap players, they'd have been mid table. Selling is a risk that could pay off, keeping is the safe play for doing merely 'good'

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Same planet where we only paid 2m for Ulloa in the first place, 1m for Buckley, and a big fat £0 for Bridcutt.

Fair point, they were all gambles though and maybe top players in a lower league at the time, we now are looking to get in the premiership and a top player would cost a heck of a lot more than 2m.... And will the 7m all go to buying new players or keep us within FFP ?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If Burnley had kept Austin, Vokes and Ings wouldn't have got the play time or attention/balls/chances and they'd still be in the Champ, probably borderline play-off side challenging for 6th each season

Of course if they sold him and got in crap players, they'd have been mid table. Selling is a risk that could pay off, keeping is the safe play for doing merely 'good'

Austin is definitely a better player than Vokes.

Maybe if they kept him they would won the Championship!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fair point, they were all gambles though and maybe top players in a lower league at the time, we now are looking to get in the premiership and a top player would cost a heck of a lot more than 2m.... And will the 7m all go to buying new players or keep us within FFP ?

Yes it is a gamble of sorts. But if we don't throw the dice by selling and re-investing, then the chances are that the result will be the same next season: top 6 but not quite good enough to win the play offs.

Liverpool selling Torres for £50m and buying Suarez for less than half that is another good example of a club selling its star player where it didn't work out too badly.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Sorry disagree, not bothered about the PL. More interested in the club being financially secure and competitive in this league. Parachute payments and FFP are going to make it harder to challenge for the PL as clubs keep within a budget the clubs coming down are going to have millions to spend. Anyone of the 3 clubs coming down will have 60million plus, they could easily afford 15million to spend on transfers, we could not compete with that. I know people will say that the clubs coming down will have bigger wages to pay, however I think more clubs will have get out clauses for relegation, meaning they can cut their cloth accordingly straight away. FFP will eventually see the same clubs going up and down

The last part is quite probably true, but it also torpedoes the bit about being "financially secure and competitive in this league" because over time, we won't be competitive.
The combination of FFP and para payments is likely to create an effective Premier League of 30 clubs, only 20 of which are actually in the PL at any given time. It will be extremely difficult for any team which hasn't had a season or two in the PL to get into into the top half of the Championship, never mind actually get promoted. If we do not get into the PL sooner rather than later, we may be condemned to trying to be competitive in the bottom half of the Championship for all eternity. How long will the 27,000 crowds hold up if that's the case?
We can't uninvent the Premier League, or ignore it, or decide when or if we will be "bothered" about it, because the odds against getting promoted are going to get longer with every passing season. But if there is one chairman among the 92 clubs who will be able to maximise our chance without risking complete meltdown, it's Mr Bloom.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
The last part is quite probably true, but it also torpedoes the bit about being "financially secure and competitive in this league" because over time, we won't be competitive.
The combination of FFP and para payments is likely to create an effective Premier League of 30 clubs, only 20 of which are actually in the PL at any given time. It will be extremely difficult for any team which hasn't had a season or two in the PL to get into into the top half of the Championship, never mind actually get promoted. If we do not get into the PL sooner rather than later, we may be condemned to trying to be competitive in the bottom half of the Championship for all eternity. How long will the 27,000 crowds hold up if that's the case?
We can't uninvent the Premier League, or ignore it, or decide when or if we will be "bothered" about it, because the odds against getting promoted are going to get longer with every passing season. But if there is one chairman among the 92 clubs who will be able to maximise our chance without risking complete meltdown, it's Mr Bloom.

That is where development side comes in, we need to forget about big name signings and the way forward is to develop our own players for the future. That way we either make money on transfers or have a strong squad to challenge. FFP will eventually collapse, as more and more clubs fight against it

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The combination of FFP and para payments is likely to create an effective Premier League of 30 clubs, only 20 of which are actually in the PL at any given time.

I don't think that that would happen, not to that extent anyway. You only have to look at recent history of clubs on parachute payments struggling to bounce back into the PL. Additionally, any remaining parachute payments from clubs promoted back to the PL get re-distributed amongst the other teams in the championship. QPR getting promoted on Saturday probably meant an increase in income of about 2.5m for BHA.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I don't think that that would happen, not to that extent anyway. You only have to look at recent history of clubs on parachute payments struggling to bounce back into the PL. Additionally, any remaining parachute payments from clubs promoted back to the PL get re-distributed amongst the other teams in the championship. QPR getting promoted on Saturday probably meant an increase in income of about 2.5m for BHA.

Are you sure of that. As far as I knew any club promoted back to the Prem still receiving parachute payments then doesn't get the remainder due over the following seasons. However the money stays with the Premier League and doesn't get given to championship clubs. I would love it if your right but I don't think it is.

Dec 29, 2011
3m for Buckley? Do you seriously think this is likely? Lol

10m for ulloa? Even less unlikely.....

Getting your 1m back for Buckley would be a great result IMO, as for ulloa, 5m at best... IMO of course.

Well known fact we've turned down £5m and £3m bids for Buckley in the past. Only his injury issues is holding him back, if the new training ground helps him overcome that he'll be worth a lot.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

That is the problem now, clubs are not stupid now and will have get out clauses in contracts if they are relegated, which will cut the wage bill if relegated. FFP also effects premiership clubs and they have to balance the books, any club coming down in the next few seasons would make sure they had the funds to fight for promotion. This year will be a test for the clubs coming down, can they stay competitive? Wolves will be another club to watch, they dropped down to league 1, yet they seem to have bounced back and will still have para payments to challenge this coming season. If these clubs challenge for the top spots this season, then it will only become harder for the clubs who have not been in the PL.

FOXYPALACE

May 26, 2014
Hi guys,

From a Leicester point of view I think 7m is a bit steep.

I would think a deal of around 5m could be sealed from what I have heard.

Maybe their will be add ons if we stay up etc.

Wish all you the best for next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here