Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Legend" Status?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Last time I bought a shirt with a player's name and number I wanted to choose a current player who would be a legend even if he left.
No matter what happened.

Easy choice as we entered the Premier League. I went for BRUNO #2

Now of course we know what happened. Pretty sickening. But not as bad as some of the keyboard warriors would have you believe.

Just recently I dug it out, as I think its time to be reintroduced to matchday. Last week I was delighted to see someone else in the same shirt with the same name and number.

Bruno Salter would be in my Hall of Fame.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Of current players, only Dunk.

March and Gross also guaranteed legend status by the time they leave/retire. Maybe Veltman too?

In my dreams also Ferguson after he breaks all club scoring records and leaves as Champions League winning captain.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I don't see why the 'legend' has to be a good player. A legend for me is:

a) They gained notoriety for their actions whilst wearing the stripes
b) A good 15-20 years has passed and
c) Fans are still talking about them.

e.g. Hans Kraay, George Parris, Frank Worthington - all legends.
OK on the basis of category A that means you include Mark Farrington as surely the worst player to pull on the stripes!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
OK on the basis of category A that means you include Mark Farrington as surely the worst player to pull on the stripes!
That by itself doesn't achieve legend status. If people are still talking about him now BECAUSE of how bad he was in comparison with other Albion players then, yes, he's a legend contender.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That by itself doesn't achieve legend status. If people are still talking about him now BECAUSE of how bad he was in comparison with other Albion players then, yes, he's a legend contender.
Doubt that 99.5% of attendees at an Amex match would even 'of' heard of Mark Farrington

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Of current players, only Dunk.

March and Gross also guaranteed legend status by the time they leave/retire. Maybe Veltman too?

In my dreams also Ferguson after he breaks all club scoring records and leaves as Champions League winning captain.
Agree Dunk and Gross are or will be legends when they leave/retire. March is more of cult hero as he’s been average for most of his time here and only really started to flourished in the last 2 years.

Veltman is/will be a cult hero by the time he leaves. A consistent and reliable player. A bit underrated too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here