Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Legend" Status?

Home and Away

Sep 18, 2018
Quite often we hear players and ex-players referred as club legends, but sometimes I feel like the status is regularly attached to anyone who has played for the club and not particularly well or long. So I was wondering what makes a player a legend?

What if you go play for a another team and have only plyed few seasons for the club? Knocky? Ale Mac? Trossard?
Or is it just the way that the player leaves?
Also, If we think of Zamora for example... We as Albion fans would consider him as a legend, but for a neutral he would be remembered from other clubs.

Other factors: Local, British, Foreign, Most Apps, Goals, League level(?)

Albion examples:

Players still playing: Lewis Dunk definitely is a legend already, Solly March (?), Gross
Ex-players: Glenn Murray, Zamora (?), Greer(?), El-Abd(?), Ward, Kuipers

Who's a legend? Who's in the Hall of Fame?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A legend is a personal choice and subjective. A legend in their own lunchtime!

For the club, it has to be Charlie Webb who was a player and a manager for many decades.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Peter Ward is the legendariest legend, name is still sung 40 plus years after he last kicked a ball for us.
To me, who never saw him play, he can't be supplanted because he always was a legend to me, a player I never saw make a single mistake, or have a poor game.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
A legend is someone that did substantial good for a club and who is not a cock.

It could be games played or even just a goal scored or saved. there are a couple of people that didn't do a great deal (argueably) but scored an important goal and will be immortalised forever. it could be someone that wore the shirt proudly for many seasons.

The second part is also very important. Leon Knight scored the winning penalty that got us promotion - but sadly fails the second part of the equation and so is not a legend.

oh, and you cant be a nonce....that's quite important

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Legend is such a vastly overused term, when applied to a football club, that it's effectively become meaningless. Dick Knight and Tony Bloom are the only bona fide Legends I'd say apply to our club. Some of the player names being bandied about, including some on this thread, are simply laughable in terms of Legend status. Notable Players? Sure. Legends? Nah

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
proper club Legends have be recognised near universally as such. otherwise they are cult heros. Ward, Lawro, Zamora are the best examples, no one sensible would disagree (there's always a few). Mac Allister will be in time ( in same vein as Lawro). the likes of OGH and Kuipers will be legends to some but newer generations not so much, as others a more prominent to them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Didn't we do this about a month ago?

Legend is a bit of a weird one, especially when it is club-specific. If he carries on the way he's going, Bellingham will be a legend of the game. I know that Birmingham retired his shirt, but was he REALLY a legend for them? Elsewhere, that mob up the road will say Mr Tumble is a club legend, but I'm not sure Manchester United or wherever he's gone now will hold him in such high esteem...

As for the Albion, as @Tom Hark Preston Park said, it's all subjective and there will no doubt be players on one fan's list who wont be on anothers. From the current squad, I would say the real legends are:

Dunk – club captain and been there through 'the hard times and the good'
Groß – Instrumental in the club's progress in its time in the PL, scorer of iconic goals, provider of assists and all-round GOD
March (at a stretch) – local boy done good and a LOT of improvement over the past 18 months

Milner is a legend of the game, but isn't – and wouldn't be – an Albion legend.
Potential future legends (more likely of the game, not the club, because they won't be here for long): Fati; Ferguson; Mitoma, Enciso(?) and RDZ.

Last edited:

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Webb, Ward, Zamora

Maybe in the future Murray, Dunk, Mac Alistair, March, Mitomer + anyone who wins the Ballon Dor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here