Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds v Football League

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Ive seen Cellino talk of losing 400k on a home game thats televised even after the match fee but would think that figure is way over the top.
I do think if we were losing much matchday income from being televised Barber would have mentioned it by now

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Ive seen Cellino talk of losing 400k on a home game thats televised even after the match fee but would think that figure is way over the top.
I do think if we were losing much matchday income from being televised Barber would have mentioned it by now

400k lol. Their crowds would need to be about 15k more to cover that for games not on tv. Leeds fans are not like ours because they head off straight after the game and drink elsewhere before the game. They can't possibly have the same match day income as us.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
400k lol. Their crowds would need to be about 15k more to cover that for games not on tv. Leeds fans are not like ours because they head off straight after the game and drink elsewhere before the game. They can't possibly have the same match day income as us.

That was my thinking. Ludicrous figure for Cellino to come up with.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's the gross fee.

The lost revenue is dependent on the degree of fanaticism of the fans of individual clubs.

Would also have to take into consideration the extra advertising revenue pitch side due to having a TV audience.
So the net gain may still be considerably less than 100000-120000? Particularly considering the Leeds game which on a Saturday would have been nearly a sell out both in the home and away ends.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So the net gain may still be considerably less than 100000-120000? Particularly considering the Leeds game which on a Saturday would have been nearly a sell out both in the home and away ends.

Leeds always sell out the away end though. I'm not sure they are a big draw for casual Albion fans.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Leeds always sell out the away end though. I'm not sure they are a big draw for casual Albion fans.
They didn't last year. There was a considerable drop. The Leeds site has their attendance as 1815, still good but probably a lot down on a Saturday match. And judging by the Bolton match, the appetite is there now from more floating supporters to watch Albion as our new additions, players returning from injury, and better form, take effect.

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Have we actually played them on a saturday at the amex. I tend to remember it as a tuesday night game most seasons anyway

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Have we actually played them on a saturday at the amex. I tend to remember it as a tuesday night game most seasons anyway
No we haven't. That's why it's galling that the match is on a Monday night. Less fans, more hassle to get there and less money spent on the concourse.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I may be talking out of my arse but I didnt think Leeds could play at a seaside resort on a 'normal' kick off time after they wrecked Bournemouth a few years back. Although not sure how moving a game to a Friday night would solve that issue.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I may be talking out of my arse but I didnt think Leeds could play at a seaside resort on a 'normal' kick off time after they wrecked Bournemouth a few years back. Although not sure how moving a game to a Friday night would solve that issue.

Think that just applies to bank holiday weekends

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No we haven't. That's why it's galling that the match is on a Monday night. Less fans, more hassle to get there and less money spent on the concourse.

I think we've had a Friday night, Monday night and a couple of Tuesday night's before.

I'm one of those who won't be there. It's the Brighton Half marathon weekend, so travelling from Manchester and had booked accommodation in advance.

Was really looking forward to Saturday lunch in the pub, then the football, back to the pub and the race on Sunday morning before crawling home.

Thanks to Sky that's been ruined, but people like myself are a non-issue to TV deals.

If you were to assume that the club's reported income last season for "Catering & Events" is all attributable to match day concourse sales then this equates to £1.60 per attendee/per game.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think we've had a Friday night, Monday night and a couple of Tuesday night's before.

I'm one of those who won't be there. It's the Brighton Half marathon weekend, so travelling from Manchester and had booked accommodation in advance.

Was really looking forward to Saturday lunch in the pub, then the football, back to the pub and the race on Sunday morning before crawling home.

Thanks to Sky that's been ruined, but people like myself are a non-issue to TV deals.

When the Football League changed the FFP system, as part of the deal didn't they link the FL TV revenue to the PL TV revenue as well (ie a fixed percentage), or am I getting confused with solidarity payments? Any idea what the TV revenue payments for the Championship are for next season?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
If you were to assume that the club's reported income last season for "Catering & Events" is all attributable to match day concourse sales then this equates to £1.60 per attendee/per game.

Which with matchday ticket sales not being huge would require quite an effort to equal the sky fee I would guess

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Difficult to tell just how much the club would lose from the change. It's not just the fans who don't go as it's on sky or on an inconvenient evening bit those like myself who can only get there just before kickoff and leave immediately after the final whistle. A few beers, 3 pies and a hotdog for starters for myself and my kids and brother. That's £30 or so already.

Sky only care about themselves. Commiserations for missing the match. I am lucky enough to be only 21 miles from the Amex so at least I see my beloved Albion.

Difficult to tell just how much the club would lose from the change. It's not just the fans who don't go as it's on sky or on an inconvenient evening bit those like myself who can only get there just before kickoff and leave immediately after the final whistle. A few beers, 3 pies and a hotdog for starters for myself and my kids and brother. That's £30 or so already.

This is £25 (£30- £5 VAT) in income to the caterers, not the club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When the Football League changed the FFP system, as part of the deal didn't they link the FL TV revenue to the PL TV revenue as well (ie a fixed percentage), or am I getting confused with solidarity payments? Any idea what the TV revenue payments for the Championship are for next season?

Total TV money received by the Albion last season was £4.5 million. This is split between a 'solidarity payment' from the Premier League of just over £2 million (I think) and the balance of about £2.4 million being from the Sky TV deal.

From next season onwards clubs in the Championship will receive a solidarity payment based on a formula. I think it works out as 30% of a third year parachute payment due to a club relegated from the PL.

PL clubs in their third year following relegation will receive 20% of the equal share distribution given to other PL clubs (this excludes merit and overseas TV rights income), but the PL has not publicised this information as far as I can see.

Currently the equal fee payment is £21.968 million per club. If we assume that this increases by a conservative 50% (the new TV deal is an overall increase of 70% for domestic rights) then this rises to £32.952 million.

20% of this figure would give a Premier League solidarity payment of £6.6 million, which is pretty substantial.

I am only giving a semi educated guess though!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Sky only care about themselves. Commiserations for missing the match. I am lucky enough to be only 21 miles from the Amex so at least I see my beloved Albion.

Cheers, I'm going to Hull tomorrow though, but it's not the same as a home match.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
This is £25 (£30- £5 VAT) in income to the caterers, not the club.

This is the crux of it. The common mistake made thinking I spend £30 on catering therefore the club miss out on £30 if I dont go

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here