Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds now to be fan owned

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Don't go Cellino, English football needs mentalists like you in charge of certain teams. Fans in control might mean the ship gets steadied and no one wants that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't go Cellino, English football needs mentalists like you in charge of certain teams. Fans in control might mean the ship gets steadied and no one wants that.

im not sure fans being in charge of a club like Leeds is a good idea, may very well be just as entertaining/

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
http://gu.com/p/4dny4?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

If it happens will they be the biggest fan owned club?

i.e. One that is a business not a sporting club like Barca etc

The best bit is this “100% I will sell to the fans, if they want to buy it and look after the club. The fans are the only asset the club has,” he said.

So if the only asset is the fans then he would be selling the club to its only asset. What fun.

Didn't he was 50 or 60 million from red bull? Given this will initially be massively loss making then who would underwrite that? I suspect this publicity is all hot air to flush out a potential buyer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's all very well selling to the fans 'for not a penny profit', but that COULD mean that he wants his money back from the purchase price he paid, plus the losses Leeds have made in the intervening period.

Even if the fans do take over, who would underwrite the losses made by the club? Leeds made a loss of £22,887,000 in their last accounts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't understand this. I gather there's a fans' trust ready to buy the club but why didn't they buy it when Bates was hawking it around to all and sundry? There'd have been no need for the hassle with the Italian nutter: Bates would have got his money, the fans would have got the club.

The only thing I can think of is that the fans were a long, long way short of getting the money together then but have it now. So, what's changed in the last couple of years? The BBC story is very light on such detail

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It's all very well selling to the fans 'for not a penny profit', but that COULD mean that he wants his money back from the purchase price he paid, plus the losses Leeds have made in the intervening period.

Even if the fans do take over, who would underwrite the losses made by the club? Leeds made a loss of £22,887,000 in their last accounts.

Wonga?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I don't understand this. I gather there's a fans' trust ready to buy the club but why didn't they buy it when Bates was hawking it around to all and sundry? There'd have been no need for the hassle with the Italian nutter: Bates would have got his money, the fans would have got the club.

The only thing I can think of is that the fans were a long, long way short of getting the money together then but have it now. So, what's changed in the last couple of years? The BBC story is very light on such detail

Because they hadn't reached the tipping point then/this was the last straw that broke the camel's back?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He is reckoned to have paid approx £30 million for 75% so that's sorted then. As soon as the fans cough up £40 million, it's all theirs.

(He also forgot to say that he is happy to sell the club to NSC if we can just cough up £40 million)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This looks ideal for an Arab or Russian to take over to restore them to their previous position whether we like it or not. If taken over and with investment will become a promotion candidate but not with Evans as manager.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This looks ideal for an Arab or Russian to take over to restore them to their previous position whether we like it or not. If taken over and with investment will become a promotion candidate but not with Evans as manager.

There are currently four Premier League clubs being hawked around by their owners to a greater or lesser extent.

Why not buy one of those if you are a billionaire?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There are currently four Premier League clubs being hawked around by their owners to a greater or lesser extent.

Why not buy one of those if you are a billionaire?

I would assume because they are in the 2nd tier of English football they would be cheaper plus they have the facilities and fan base on which to build to regain their status. If I was a very rich man they are the most likely that I would consider.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here