Leeds are utter scum

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
robbied69 said:
How comes there was never a minutes silence for true greats such as Billy Bremner and John Charles, 2 players far more worthy.

If they'd played for Man Utd you can put your life on them having a national minute silence.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Laughing Bluebird said:
No nationwide silence for the great Charles - a superb player, a real gentleman and a wonderful ambassador for the British game. But then he was a Welshman who played for Leeds and Cardiff, so I suppose he wasn't deemed worthy.

John Charles was an all-time great - worthy of a minutes silence. Except there are too many of them. I would not have given George Best a minutes silence at all games - leave it to the Clubs he played for.

Like most here I thought the behaviour of some of the Leeds fans was a disgrace. Any fans of any club (ours included 3gulls) that sing over a minutes silence, or hold up banners like the Istanbul one are small minded, disrespectful and pathetic.

However, I think the hard time that Starry has been given on this thread cannot be justified. She did not sing, she did not spoil it for those that wished to observe the silence and pay their respects and she has not blindly defended the morons that did. She has her views and has argued her stance intelligently and reasonably. I don't agree with her but I respect her decision to turn away from an enforced tribute she does not agree with.

There will always be idiots in any football crowd, (again ours included) but we can't taint everyone with the same brush. I met 2 Leeds fans on Saturday on their way to Millwall (also from Hampshire by the way starry) and they were two of the friendliest, most articulate football fans you could ever hope to meet. To label all Leeds scum is frankly ridiculous.

PS. Starry, very sorry to hear about your little girl, I really hope miracles do happen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I just think by giving George Best a minutes silence is stupid and ott.
A minutes silence has become worthless now and takes away from the value of it when done for a proper reason such as 11/11.

Dandyman

In London village.
KinkyGoebels said:
I just think by giving George Best a minutes silence is stupid and ott.
A minutes silence has become worthless now and takes away from the value of it when done for a proper reason such as 11/11.

His memory was aplauded at WHL by fans who appreciate real football.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Lokki 7 said:

There will always be idiots in any football crowd, (again ours included) but we can't taint everyone with the same brush. I met 2 Leeds fans on Saturday on their way to Millwall (also from Hampshire by the way starry) and they were two of the friendliest, most articulate football fans you could ever hope to meet. To label all Leeds scum is frankly ridiculous.

PS. Starry, very sorry to hear about your little girl, I really hope miracles do happen.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

We're not all bad. People are all to eager to believe the media castigation of us and take what the red tops say as gospel. The same red tops who used to run the If you see Best drinking call 0876.... or Wife Beating Drunk stories who are now loving on him like he was a Saint. *shrug*

We'll be next weeks fish and chip wrappings soon enough.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
What happened on 11/11 then ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lokki 7 said:
However, I think the hard time that Starry has been given on this thread cannot be justified. She did not sing, she did not spoil it for those that wished to observe the silence and pay their respects and she has not blindly defended the morons that did. She has her views and has argued her stance intelligently and reasonably. I don't agree with her but I respect her decision to turn away from an enforced tribute she does not agree with.

In stark contract to the disgraceful postings by Twatford - who should be ashamed of his contribution. Starry is entitled to her view and puts them across intelligently. Well said Lokki.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
We've still got our reputation from the 70's for having a nasty set of fans. But you know its 30 years on almost. Let it go, time to move along. Each club will still have its idiots but it happens.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
robbied69 said:
We've still got our reputation from the 70's for having a nasty set of fans. But you know its 30 years on almost. Let it go, time to move along. Each club will still have its idiots but it happens.

Your repuation comes from the Seventies? Are you taking the piss?

Cast your mind back to last season at Elland Road when Cardiff came to visit. Does a full-scale riot after the match ring any bells?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Your repuation comes from the Seventies? Are you taking the piss?

Cast your mind back to last season at Elland Road when Cardiff came to visit. Does a full-scale riot after the match ring any bells?

There was trouble but it wasn't a full scale riot. That single game counts for nearly 50% of our total arrests for the whole of last season.

The full riot is going to happen in a few weeks, have you seen Publicity Petes comments?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Starry said:
The full riot is going to happen in a few weeks, have you seen Publicity Petes comments?

No, I haven't.

Many of our lot are boycotting the game. After our behaviour was described as 'impeccable' by your police chief last year, our allocation has been cut by 500 this year. And the Draconian travel restrictions still apply.

You say it wasn't a riot last year. The police said it was. With all due respect, I think I'll take their word for it.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
No, I haven't.

Many of our lot are boycotting the game. After our behaviour was described as 'impeccable' by your police chief last year, our allocation has been cut by 500 this year. And the Draconian travel restrictions still apply.

You say it wasn't a riot last year. The police said it was. With all due respect, I think I'll take their word for it.

I think Hull are going to boycott their game as well because of the same restrictions put on them. WYP have a lot to answer for, but then South Wales started all this with their restrictions. It's all a bit tit for tat. According to Leeds ticket office Cardif had 403 unsold seats last season so not sure the cutting of the allocation is a valid point. Are you going to go?

Publicity Pete did an interview with the Yorkshire Evening Post last week (I can find the link if you want) saying he wants Leeds fans to remember the good times he brought to our club and forget the bad, he took us into Europe and that balances out the fact we were 72 hours from liquidation etc. Says he's coming to the game as a guest of Bates in the directors box and can hold his head up high.

More fool him. I know 6 people who have paid £165 (one of whom is already banned at ER so not sure he'll get in but there's usually no bother to get in the west stand) each to sit in the directors box and give our good friend Pete a special Leeds welcome.

He was lynched when he went to WHSmiths in Leeds, nevermind ER. The man's a fool.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Aren't we getting off the subject here. A minority of Leeds fans ruin it for all. But I would add we seem to be getting lots of minutes silences across the country now for people who to be honest aren't national icons and for me it is devaluing the sentiment behind it. I mean we had one for Ken Bigley who was executed in Iraq. Why? Nothing to do with Brighton, whilst it being a shame are we going to have one for all the service personnel who give their lives fighting the war in Iraq? Anyway my 2 pence worth.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
BBC..

Leeds have issued an official apology for some of their fans marring a period of silence in honour of George Best at their game at Millwall on Saturday.
"We certainly do not condone this kind of response and feel those responsible have let the club down," read a statement from the Elland Road club.

"We apologise to all who were offended by such a response.

"We have already been in touch with Millwall to see if they can do anything to identify those responsible."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports