Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Clark - Knob or not?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What annoys me is this concept of ‘’Sportmanship’’ It’s Bollox. When a ball is kicked out, it isn’t because an opposition Centre Forward has had his head caved in by an opposing defender but 99 times out of 100 because someone is timewasting

I’d have had more respect for Gary Johnson if he’d said ‘Their player was timewasting, I instructed my players to not give the ball back as I was fed up with it, I’d do the same again next week, Lee Clark can go console himself at the club bar’’ instead of his halfway house stance.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

That.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well, straight away I can tell you that, if I was told to kick the ball out of play I would then make sure I kick it out as near to the opposition goal as possible.

It just wouldnt work. Both teams would be trying sneaky ways to not do it. Even giving the ball back to the keeper has now become clouded with teams kicking it out for goal kicks or throw ins with the corner flag.

At least giving it back toi the keeper is the most single-sided form of a restart. That or kicking off the game from the centre circle again but that would be just ridiculous.

I am sure I saw it done in a European Cup game possibly Real Madrid and the ball was kicked back over exactly where the original throw was taken. As it stand now I would tell my players to whack it over the bar for a goal kick or a throw in down by the corner flag but never give it to the keeper in his hands. You never or very rarely ever see a contested drop ball as in the old days now though

I have another solution to stop this cynical tactic of kicking a ball out when a player is 'injured'.

When play is stopped so that a player is able to receive treatment the said player will leave the field of play for a minimum of three minutes to have the treatment. This would be timed by the fourth official or an official whose job is to do the timing.

This should stop the time wasting quite quickly and mean players only going down for genuine injuries.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What annoys me is this concept of ‘’Sportmanship’’ It’s Bollox. When a ball is kicked out, it isn’t because an opposition Centre Forward has had his head caved in by an opposing defender but 99 times out of 100 because someone is timewasting and knows that the other team are too thick to realise this and therefore boot the ball out of play as this is what has been done for 30 years.

I’d have had more respect for Gary Johnson if he’d said ‘Their player was timewasting, I instructed my players to not give the ball back as I was fed up with it, I’d do the same again next week, Lee Clark can go console himself at the club bar’’ instead of his halfway house stance.

I think if you listen to the interview with him, reading between the lines that was probably what he was actually thinking!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All Yeovil did wrong was gift Birmingham a goal back. If a team has one of their own players injured and kicks the ball out, they shouldn't expect it back. If it's a serious injury, it's down to the ref and restart with a proper, contested drop ball.

Didi Hamann's view was interesting on the radio today. Reckoned 95% of the time when a player goes down, it's time-wasting. Also raised the idea of scrapping physio's on-pitch treatment completely. What's the point?, he said. If you're properly injured, a bit of freeze spray's not going make any difference. So just get on with it... either get off or play on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here