Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Clark - Knob or not?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I'd like to throw my tuppence into this as well.. Not only does it annoy me that the ball gets kicked out of play for an "injury", but what really gets on my nips is, for example, Spanish Dave goes down while we have the ball and no one bats an eyelid. As soon as the opposition get the ball and he's still down, everyone goes mental booing and jeering. Sometimes does make me chuckle though.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I don't think so. It's as much to do with the way he talks, and I don't really remember hearing Hendry talk.

I was purely talking about faces, as on talking, one is a Geordie and the other a Sweatie:

_65339421_leeclark.jpg Stephen_Hendry_Snooker_2011_2.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does anyone else remember a post match interivew Clark did where he was basically on the edge of a nervous breakdown? Mumbling words, totally unable to make eye contact with the interviewer or camera. I can't remember which match it was - I guess his team had lost badly

He seems an emotionally fragile guy - which is a shame, as football management isn't going to help that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd like to see that tried out in a match. I feel if that were implemented we'd have to go to 80 minute matches, as the stoppages, like in rugby (with the clock stopped) would make the entire running time of each match considerably longer.

American football games have 60min game time, yet take twice, sometimes almost three times as long to play.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not only does it annoy me that the ball gets kicked out of play for an "injury", but what really gets on my nips is, for example, Spanish Dave goes down while we have the ball and no one bats an eyelid. .

so, THAT'S what Spanish Dave does!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
American football games have 60min game time, yet take twice, sometimes almost three times as long to play.

Don't they have longer pauses as they have basically different teams for defense & offense (so I'm led to believe)...? and they faff about a lot.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Does anyone else remember a post match interivew Clark did where he was basically on the edge of a nervous breakdown? Mumbling words, totally unable to make eye contact with the interviewer or camera. I can't remember which match it was - I guess his team had lost badly

He seems an emotionally fragile guy - which is a shame, as football management isn't going to help that.

he is pretty much always like that

rumoured he enjoys a tipple

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I really REALLY dislike the bloke based on how he always comes across.

However, in this instance, he is completely right to be massivly annoyed at what Yeovil did.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of my first dictates as Brighton manager, will be to end the whole nonsense.

If you go down we play on.
If they go down we play on.
If they kick the ball out, our throw.
We don't kick the ball out.

I'll make sure the opposition and ref know.
The whole situation is a farce and should be stopped.
When anyone goes down with a head injury or a stretcher type injury the ref has stopped play long before anyone have even been able to get the ball out. Most of the time he then waves to the bench, who's physios are already halfway across the pitch.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

1-5 home defeat to BARNSLEY. CRAIG "SNOOPY" DAVIES hit 4 of them. Enough to destroy any man.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One of my first dictates as Brighton manager, will be to end the whole nonsense.

When anyone goes down with a head injury or a stretcher type injury the ref has stopped play long before anyone have even been able to get the ball out. Most of the time he then waves to the bench, who's physios are already halfway across the pitch.

Couldn't have put that better myself. You and I agree on a lot!

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

Exactly this. If a player is genuinely injured the ref should stop the game and restart it with a contested drop ball. No need for either side to kick the ball out.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath

100% yes. If a team tries the Birmingham angle, and BHA score I will not stop laughing for days, and it would serve them right.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Time football adopted the rugby way-player down 'injured', play goes on around them. Bet there'd hardly ever be players rolling around the way they do now. Be next to no 'time added on for stoppages'. Football is full of cheats these days, not stopping play would eliminate that form of cheating (feigned injury).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Spot on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In his favour he did get Huddersfield to form a guard of honour at Withdean when we won the league unlike the current Reading manager. As regards putting the ball out of play, the point I disagree with is when restarting the game kicking the ball back to he keeper. I think the team taking the throw should throw it to one of their men who immediately puts it out for a throw in at the same point as it went out but then to be taken by the opposing side.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think the team taking the throw should throw it to one of their men who immediately puts it out for a throw in at the same point as it went out but then to be taken by the opposing side.

Well, straight away I can tell you that, if I was told to kick the ball out of play I would then make sure I kick it out as near to the opposition goal as possible.

It just wouldnt work. Both teams would be trying sneaky ways to not do it. Even giving the ball back to the keeper has now become clouded with teams kicking it out for goal kicks or throw ins with the corner flag.

At least giving it back toi the keeper is the most single-sided form of a restart. That or kicking off the game from the centre circle again but that would be just ridiculous.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What annoys me is this concept of ‘’Sportmanship’’ It’s Bollox. When a ball is kicked out, it isn’t because an opposition Centre Forward has had his head caved in by an opposing defender but 99 times out of 100 because someone is timewasting and knows that the other team are too thick to realise this and therefore boot the ball out of play as this is what has been done for 30 years.

I’d have had more respect for Gary Johnson if he’d said ‘Their player was timewasting, I instructed my players to not give the ball back as I was fed up with it, I’d do the same again next week, Lee Clark can go console himself at the club bar’’ instead of his halfway house stance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here