Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Cattermole

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Cattermole's was not a red, Dossena's was imo.
Fair play to the 9, though it did not surprise me that boring Hull, with defensive boring Bruce as manager, did not score anymore.
Iv'e seen Hull twice at the Amex, and both times their play could send a glass eye to sleep.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

, catts was no where near a red, a yellow but the player dived and held his knee when he missed him anyway and it would have been his foot

You and Gus are both deluded. Both challenges (and Brady's) were clearly worthy of reds under any interpretation of the laws. Cattermole was off the ground and out of control going into the tackle. That's all the ref needs to know. What part of his leg the fouled player held is neither here nor there. Easy decision.

At least no one has used the 'he's not that kind of player' argument!

Stumpy Tim

I don't understand the hostility to Gus. Best manager we've had for a long long time at a massively important time in the clubs history. Yes it ended badly, but we don't know the full story. I, for one, hope Sunderland stays up and Gus does well. He's largely responsible for one of the best periods in the Albions history

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't understand the hostility to Gus. Best manager we've had for a long long time at a massively important time in the clubs history. Yes it ended badly, but we don't know the full story. I, for one, hope Sunderland stays up and Gus does well. He's largely responsible for one of the best periods in the Albions history

I think the full story has pretty well come out and it's just a question of putting together all the pieces. Regardless of the success we experienced under his watch his behaviour from March onwards was abysmal and unprofessional leading to the club taking almost unprecedented steps. In fact I think the players might deserve great credit for getting through that period as well as they did, given TB's comments the other night about the unsettling impact of what was going on.

I've got no time for Poyet now unless it's magically proven that none of what most of us believe to have happened, didn't!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

careful now ..you will be labelled a Poyet lover and blinkered...disloyal to the club blah blah

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think the full story has pretty well come out and it's just a question of putting together all the pieces. Regardless of the success we experienced under his watch his behaviour from March onwards was abysmal and unprofessional leading to the club taking almost unprecedented steps. In fact I think the players might deserve great credit for getting through that period as well as they did, given TB's comments the other night about the unsettling impact of what was going on.

I've got no time for Poyet now unless it's magically proven that none of what most of us believe to have happened, didn't!

Influenced no doubt by attending Mr Blooms recent visit to Horsham?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You and Gus are both deluded. Both challenges (and Brady's) were clearly worthy of reds under any interpretation of the laws. Cattermole was off the ground and out of control going into the tackle. That's all the ref needs to know. What part of his leg the fouled player held is neither here nor there. Easy decision.

At least no one has used the 'he's not that kind of player' argument!

Correct. Nice to see someone actually thinking about what the rules are when considering it. Cattermole's was a red from the moment he started the tackle, it DOES NOT MATTER what happens to the other player. It's all about the intent - hence the Kompany red card when he luckily missed Nani last season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yes but once again (for the 1000th time) WHY did his behaviour suddenly change for no reason whatsoever in the months after Mr Barber joined? Why did he SUDDENLY not care about a job he'd absolutely loved, that was perfect for him? We know about 5% of the story.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Regardless of any other team the points usually needed to stay up are 38+, which means Sunderland need 34 points from 28 games, say 9 wins and 7 draws, that will take some doing and if Poyet achieves that he will deserve all the praise he will get

Given some of the dross in the Premier League this season, I can see 35 points being enough to stay up.

Stumpy Tim

Yes but once again (for the 1000th time) WHY did his behaviour suddenly change for no reason whatsoever in the months after Mr Barber joined? Why did he SUDDENLY not care about a job he'd absolutely loved, that was perfect for him? We know about 5% of the story.

Precisely. And for me, whatever happened doesn't mean I'm suddenly not thankful to him for the rest of his time in charge. Poyet should be seen as a club legend

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Correct. Nice to see someone actually thinking about what the rules are when considering it. Cattermole's was a red from the moment he started the tackle, it DOES NOT MATTER what happens to the other player. It's all about the intent - hence the Kompany red card when he luckily missed Nani last season.

According to the laws of football it's nothing to do with intent, only what the player actually does.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

100% correct.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cattermole and Dossena deffinitely both red card. Brady deffinitely not.

The referee got all 3 correct, has that been mentioned?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What was the3 difference between the tackle by Cattermole and that of Brady except of course a red and yellow card. Having sent 2 off already the ref bottled it for the 3rd.

He bottled nothing, the Cattermole challenge is far worse for the contact, the intent and the reckless motion. Brady didn't make contact, the intent was on the ball and the motion was one footed and more controlled.

Cattermole needs to learn to tackle, or stop trying.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
He bottled nothing, the Cattermole challenge is far worse for the contact, the intent and the reckless motion. Brady didn't make contact, the intent was on the ball and the motion was one footed and more controlled.

Cattermole needs to learn to tackle, or stop trying.

There was no contact from Cattermole, if you watch it again there clearly is none and then the player holds his leg much higher than contact would ever had been. Intent means nothing at all

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I love it ! If 'Ash the Bash' gave Gus sleepless nights Cattermole must leave him with nightmares. But you can handle it Gus it's the big boys league where you always wanted to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here