Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Leaving Neverland- Michael Jackson documentary

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lovely bloke, Dave! He's the Peter Pan of the neighbourhood. Sure, he has a playground in his back garden, a PS4 with 500 games, an ice cream van on the drive and a pet orang-utan called Schmubbles, but he just childlike and innocent. Why wouldn't we let the kids stay over in his one bedroom house?

Also- to the poster who suggested certain elements of society knowingly protected Savile- surely the same is true of Jackson's many hangers on? Let's take the "childlike" theory at face value. Did not ONE single person in his vast entourage think to suggest to him that sharing his bed with young boys might leave him open to accusations, or gold diggers? Were they all so afraid of losing their place in the giant hierarchy of ladder-climbing flunkeys that they couldn't even bring themselves to upset the status quo (and heaven knows, maybe save some children from a lifetime of despair) by mentioning it?

Well. One of his ex advisors (possibly a lawyer, can't remember) came out a few years ago saying just that. He personally advised MJ that "what he was doing" was wrong and that he should stop. Drug addled MJ replied "why? I don't want to".

I can't recall the programme but it was massively damning then. Was surprised more wasn't made of it, but money talks.......

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the thing for me was the total willingness of many people to accept the Jackson side's argument that his behaviour could be explained by the fact that he was just a fragile, sweet Peter Pan sort of figure. There was never any denial on his part that those kids were sleeping in his bed, but even their parents (not to mention his hangers on) seemed perfectly happy to put it down to his supposed boy-who-never-grew-up personality.

Imagine your 40 something next door neighbour asks your nine year old son to stay overnight, and then tells you they're going to be sharing a bed, because he's just "childlike". Is anybody going to go "Yeah, go for it: but no fizzy drinks after 8pm!"?

Would it make any difference if that neighbour was a friendly female with a theme park in her garden?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Putting all personal biases aside this is a truly unique case with a unique unrivalled set of circumstances, not to say it's right or otherwise but for almost the entire duration of his life he has lived in what is essentially the Truman show.

His world was artificially constructed around him. I saw a video a number of years ago where he wanted to experience going to the supermarket without being recognised. Essentially his team had to shut down a supermarket and staff it with people who's job was to act normal and not interact with him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Michael Jackson the paedophile

Leaving Neverland, Channel 4, 9pm.

It's going to be grim.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
saw trailer for this, looks over-produced, like its actors.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think the thing for me was the total willingness of many people to accept the Jackson side's argument that his behaviour could be explained by the fact that he was just a fragile, sweet Peter Pan sort of figure. There was never any denial on his part that those kids were sleeping in his bed, but even their parents (not to mention his hangers on) seemed perfectly happy to put it down to his supposed boy-who-never-grew-up personality.

Imagine your 40 something next door neighbour asks your nine year old son to stay overnight, and then tells you they're going to be sharing a bed, because he's just "childlike". Is anybody going to go "Yeah, go for it: but no fizzy drinks after 8pm!"?

Precisely.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A lesson (that won’t be learnt) about the perils of overly worshipping heroes. Despite what’s being revealed now and in the next few years there will be millions who won’t accept he’s Bad (pun not intended)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The parents of these kids who let him get away with it should be ashamed of themselves. Money more important than your kids wellbeing? Really?

They are equally as complicit as Jackson imo, probably even more so as it was THEIR kid FFs

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I can’t be the only one that thinks his music is meh?

No, you're not. The odd good tune, but nowhere near some of his contemporaries at Motown: Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson. Berry Gordy fixed on him as the superstar and the crossover impact of 'Off The Wall' and then 'Thriller' sent him stratospheric, but artistically it was all downhill after the initial promise of 'Off The Wall'. Like a lot of other stuff that acheives mass appeal on that scale: Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Elton John, Garth Brooks, The Beatles, the music has to be catchy, but bland enough to appeal to kids, grandparents and people who don't really like music.

Before any Beatles fans bite: - Yes you're right. I am a music snob. Feel free to treat my opinions with distain. It's enough for me to know that I'm right without having to convince anyone else.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The parents of these kids who let him get away with it should be ashamed of themselves.
I'm sure most are ashamed of not realising what happened.
Money more important than your kids wellbeing? Really?
No, they weren't being paid off, they were being naive, and their kids were telling them nothing was happening.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Honourable mention to R. Kelly this morning.
It's the "hiding in plain sight" thing again isn't it. How R Kelly got away with what he was doing (allegedly) while writing songs about it is mind blowing.

I recall years ago in the pub, whenever "World's Greatest" came on people would sing "....he's a child rapist..." to the chorus. Everyone knew.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before any Beatles fans bite: - Yes you're right. I am a music snob. Feel free to treat my opinions with distain. It's enough for me to know that I'm right without having to convince anyone else.
:lol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Leaving Neverland, Channel 4, 9pm.

It's going to be grim.

I saw the documentary maker interviewed on Newsnight last night with some clips from it of the victims testimonies - it's going to be grim and very graphic too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here