Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Learning to play the guitar

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Just started to learn to play, should of done it years ago. My Son has been having lessons for a year now and plays quite well. I suppose its like anything once you've got it its simple ? Anyone else play or just starting out ?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I learnt when I was at school a looooong time ago.

Recently picked up an acoustic and an electric but struggling to find the time to start playing again.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I've been trying to learn for a while, can play bits of songs half decent but nothing all the way through. I guess I need lessons but time and money is a problem.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just time. Over and over again you will get better. Rhythm's a natural thing you have it or you don't.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Try something simple by a band you like; rock and roll and/or punk are usually pretty easy to pick up. Ultimate Guitar website is great for getting songs; it shows you the chord diagram as well.

'Eleanor Rigby' is the first song I learned all the way through. Very simple now but I felt like Carlos Santana when I worked it out.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Try something simple by a band you like; rock and roll and/or punk are usually pretty easy to pick up. Ultimate Guitar website is great for getting songs; it shows you the chord diagram as well.

'Eleanor Rigby' is the first song I learned all the way through. Very simple now but I felt like Carlos Santana when I worked it out.

Have to agree with ultimate guitar, never had guitar lessons. But that website helped me loads.

I recommend just buying a chord book. There's a good one called "guitar case cord book" that combined with ultimate guitar can teach anyone.

Your fingers will hurt loads to start with, till the skin thickens on your finger tips.

Electric guitars are easier on the hands for beginners, opposed to acoustic.

Choose easy songs first, like 7 nation army. I say that because playing a song as easy and well known as that builds confidence. And encourages more playing. That's what I've taught friends to start with.

Good luck!

Should of also said get familiar with the tuning. And in time you'll know how to go up the fret board in tones and semi-tones etc...

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Yeah abit like doing the rubix cube, easy when you know how.

Whenever I see a Rubik's cube sitting around unsolved, I NEED to solve it.

I'm considering learning bass, I can play a couple of riffs but can't afford one :nono:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Thanks will give it a go. My son is teaching me some basic stuff.

Oct 6, 2010
Managed to "teach myself" by learning chord shapes and playing along with songs I knew and liked using tabs. Although it has taken me to a certain standard, I now suffer from not having lessons previously because it really helps to know your scales (and not pick up bad habits etc) if you want to do anything with the guitar other than play chords. (solos/riffs/picking).

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Have to agree with ultimate guitar, never had guitar lessons. But that website helped me loads.

I recommend just buying a chord book. There's a good one called "guitar case cord book" that combined with ultimate guitar can teach anyone.

Your fingers will hurt loads to start with, till the skin thickens on your finger tips.

Electric guitars are easier on the hands for beginners, opposed to acoustic.

Choose easy songs first, like 7 nation army. I say that because playing a song as easy and well known as that builds confidence. And encourages more playing. That's what I've taught friends to start with.

Good luck!

Should of also said get familiar with the tuning. And in time you'll know how to go up the fret board in tones and semi-tones etc...
Thanks for the advise.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Learn some basic chords first and go from there. It will take time. Some good tips above but also look at some guitar lessons on utube. Also you might want to think about the Rockschool exams. They start off quite easy and get progressively harder. the beauty of these is that there are lots of lessons on these on tube so you get free tuition. Most important thing is patience. It 's been estimated that it takes 10 years to master an instrument.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Learn some basic chords first and go from there. It will take time. Some good tips above but also look at some guitar lessons on utube. Also you might want to think about the Rockschool exams. They start off quite easy and get progressively harder. the beauty of these is that there are lots of lessons on these on tube so you get free tuition. Most important thing is patience. It 's been estimated that it takes 10 years to master an instrument.

:eek: 10years thanks I'll keep practicing. :thumbsup: no rush.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I have been learning for about a year now but recently have struggled to find time.... The initial learning curve is quite slow but once you get to grip with the main chords you speed up quite a bit.

There are some very good you tube teachers, just find the one that suits you best. I can play Wonderwall right through but that's about it so far.

The one main bit of advice from me would be to learn one chord at a time at the start of your lesson. Play it over and over until you have it sussed. Then just have little attempt at the next chord at the end of your lesson before putting the guitar away. I found the "C" chord the hardest basic chord to learn and still struggle with it a bit due to my short fat stumpy fingers. Persevere with it, it does get a bit frustrating at times. Try not to play for too long when you first start learning. If your fingers are hurting, put the damn thing away because you won't be able to play the next day.

Good luck and enjoy it.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I have been learning for about a year now but recently have struggled to find time.... The initial learning curve is quite slow but once you get to grip with the main chords you speed up quite a bit.

There are some very good you tube teachers, just find the one that suits you best. I can play Wonderwall right through but that's about it so far.

The one main bit of advice from me would be to learn one chord at a time at the start of your lesson. Play it over and over until you have it sussed. Then just have little attempt at the next chord at the end of your lesson before putting the guitar away. I found the "C" chord the hardest basic chord to learn and still struggle with it a bit due to my short fat stumpy fingers. Persevere with it, it does get a bit frustrating at times. Try not to play for too long when you first start learning. If your fingers are hurting, put the damn thing away because you won't be able to play the next day.

Good luck and enjoy it.
Thanks also struggling with the 'c' chord, but my fingers arn't short and stubby. :lolol:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Im 45, don't know a G major from a seargent major and couldn't read music if my life depended on it. Im also a drummer....some say a fairly ok one.

One thing i'd love to do is to learn to play the acoustic guitar. If im interested in something, i can usually learn how to do it and i'll stick at it. But im just not sure about the guitar.

Is it possible ?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Now let me see you lot. You're in your 40's or 50's. Hair thinning, looks fading. You're kids are just getting interested in the opposite sex. You boast to them about your past conquests although when you leave the room they go "UURRGH". Classic symptoms for learning the guitar I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here