Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leandro Trossard **Sold To Arsenal 20/01/2023**

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Really happy for Tross that he gets to play for his Country, the depth of pride that could give a player must be phenomenal. Without bothering too much about other teams in the World Cup, like others have said, watching ’The 3 Amigos’ and Tross will be of particular interest. I wish him well, it will be great exposure for Brighton on the World stage and depending on his form, could well impact his market value. (first match Wednesday against Canada 7pm UK)

Trossard clearly looking forward to it:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That game is one of the games I'm most looking forward to. Canada have a decent side whereas Belgium have been and are now on a downward curve (albeit from a high position). It should be fascinating, and Trossard will be one of the key players on the pitch.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Call me coo-coo, but I feel a draw or even a win is possible for us against this Belgium side. We have mediocre defense and goalkeeping, but if Davies, David, Buchanan, Larin and Eustáquio fire on all cylinders, we could put 2 or 3 in the net. Our counter is our greatest asset (Davies is an Olympic-calibre sprinter), but when your toughest opponents are the US, Mexico and Costa Rica, year in and year out, it's difficult to get a true measure of your abilities. Our B+ team beat Japan's B team fairly easily last week, and lost to Uruguay 2-0 the week before (sans Davies), so we're obviously hoping that the element of surprise will play in our favour.

No disrespect to Leandro, but I hope Belgium take the 3 points for granted, play lackadaisically and lose a shocker to Canada before waking up and rattling off convincing wins against Croatia and Morocco. 💪 :cool:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Call me coo-coo, but I feel a draw or even a win is possible for us against this Belgium side. We have mediocre defense and goalkeeping, but if Davies, David, Buchanan, Larin and Eustáquio fire on all cylinders, we could put 2 or 3 in the net. Our counter is our greatest asset (Davies is an Olympic-calibre sprinter), but when your toughest opponents are the US, Mexico and Costa Rica, year in and year out, it's difficult to get a true measure of your abilities. Our B+ team beat Japan's B team fairly easily last week, and lost to Uruguay 2-0 the week before (sans Davies), so we're obviously hoping that the element of surprise will play in our favour.

No disrespect to Leandro, but I hope Belgium take the 3 points for granted, play lackadaisically and lose a shocker to Canada before waking up and rattling off convincing wins against Croatia and Morocco. 💪 :cool:

Well, I think you're coo-coo, but then again if your team share this same unfettered optimism anything is possible.

0-5 is more possible though.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
This Belgium team have very similar traits our England’s ‘02 “golden generation”. On paper they should’ve gotten a lot closer than they ever have. Opening games are always a bit of a banana skin so can definitely see a bit of an upset on the cards. Belgium won’t get past the 1/4s imo.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
According to (respected) French newspaper L'Équipe, theres a lot of issues in the Belgian squad with players not liking each other etc. They mention Trossard & Hazard aren't even talking to each other.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Chelsea effect - even though one no longer plays for them, and one doesn't yet play for them!
Somebody commented, on another thread I think, that the Belgian team were reluctant to pass to Trossard when he came on. Disgraceful if true.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Certainly gives the impression they're not all happy.

Funny to see it all go down...

They used to have a lot of conflicts back in the days. Flemish players would only speak Dutch and Walloon players would only talk French, until Wilmots came in as manager in 2014 and said "'nough of this nonsense, lets speak English". It solved a lot of problems as many of these (especially the French speaking) does not understand the other language.

Only some 10 years ago like 40% of the Flemish voters voted for a party that wants Flemish independence so there's not too much of a point asking players to unite for the country etc either as a lot, whether they are pro or against partition, feels the country is a bit of artificial construction and don't hold that strong warm feelings towards it.

Conflict is always around the corner for them. Funny to see. Trossard has a very powerful enemy in Hazard though.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Fans aren't exactly happy either

That aggro is as much about who they lost to. My brother lived and worked in Brussels and there has always been tension between the natives and Moroccan immigrant population

Dec 29, 2011
According to (respected) French newspaper L'Équipe, theres a lot of issues in the Belgian squad with players not liking each other etc. They mention Trossard & Hazard aren't even talking to each other.
Trossard comes across as a down to earth guy, Hazards recent comments show him as a bit of a cock. Team Tross all day, even without the Albion connection.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Trossard comes across as a down to earth guy, Hazards recent comments show him as a bit of a cock. Team Tross all day, even without the Albion connection.
Reminds me of the old England days of Gerard, Lamps, Becks etc... Good individual players who didn't get on and so failed to work together as a team.

Pretty much the opposite to what we have at BHAFC which any male chickens being shown the door (Andone, Maupay etc..)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Somebody commented, on another thread I think, that the Belgian team were reluctant to pass to Trossard when he came on. Disgraceful if true.
I didn't say it quite like that. I said that on countless occasions Trossard was free on the left and instead of passing to him the player in the middle passed it to a player between him and Tross, then a defender would step up and the ball to Tross was no longer on. It looked like incompetence and timidity to me rather than a deliberate strategy to not pass to someone. The same problem could be seen elsewhere in the pitch.

My suspicion is that a present-day standoff between the Flems and the Wallies on the pitch is paper-talk nonsense.

I am also bemused by the comments that Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham 'didn't get on'. I saw no sign of that. It was just that the manager(s) didn't know how to fit Lamps and Gerrard into the same formation. And Beckham saved our sorry arses on numerous occasions. I have never met anyone who didn't love him, and until his recent foolishness.

And you don't have to be besties to be an effective team. I give you Cole and Sheringham.

Reactions: SAC

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I didn't say it quite like that. I said that on countless occasions Trossard was free on the left and instead of passing to him the player in the middle passed it to a player between him and Tross, then a defender would step up and the ball to Tross was no longer on. It looked like incompetence and timidity to me rather than a deliberate strategy to not pass to someone. The same problem could be seen elsewhere in the pitch.

My suspicion is that a present-day standoff between the Flems and the Wallies on the pitch is paper-talk nonsense.

I am also bemused by the comments that Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham 'didn't get on'. I saw no sign of that. It was just that the manager(s) didn't know how to fit Lamps and Gerrard into the same formation. And Beckham saved our sorry arses on numerous occasions. I have never met anyone who didn't love him, and until his recent foolishness.

And you don't have to be besties to be an effective team. I give you Cole and Sheringham.
True, neither you nor I (or anyone else on here) have any inside infirmation, and neither, I suspect, if truth be told, do the gentlemen of the press - but from he way they are playing it does look as if something's not quite right.

In which case, all manner of speculation is perfectly justifiable! :)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Ive never been a fan of Hazard's. When Sarri was in charge of Chelsea, Hazard said he didn't like being told what to do and would ignore the coach and do his own thing. I remember thinking at the time he sounds like a nightmare to have in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here