[Football] Leandro Trossard **Sold To Arsenal 20/01/2023**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Reported in The Athletic yesterday that De Zerbi demands more effort from Trossard, who was dropped for the Everton fixture, and left out of the squad completely for the cup tie at Middlesbrough yesterday.

I thought he was woeful against Arsenal in the last game he played, he didn't seem to put in too much effort and looked, frankly, disinterested. Surprising really as it's normally against the big teams when he really turns up and shows what he can do.

Since Belgium's poor World Cup showing he seems to be having a bad time of things. With Mitoma excelling, and possibly a ready made replacement, both Chelsea and Newcastle reportedly interested in signing him, could Tross be on his way?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Unlikely I hope especially given we’re excising the extra option of a year

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wow, that is some put down if it’s verbatim.

In fact having read that it wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t see him in the stripes again, sounds like a standoff only one man will win.
Agree it is increasingly likely he has played his final game.

Problem isn't what Trossard or RDZ/the club wants though... but what everyone else wants. A club Trossard wants to go to needs to be both interested and have some money (although his value development is probably not increasing by the day right now)... which might be a fairly small amount of clubs.

I imagine RDZ is thinking "work harder and play better, you little.." while Trossard thinks "well, play me in a role where I can be my best then, you little..". GP played him a few times as false nine as well but I got the impression that it was temporary with Tross reluctantly accepting to fill-in, whereas RDZ perhaps see it as his main role to compete for with Mitoma entering the team and RDZ not playing with three CBs, making Trossard too much of a risk in the left back/left wing-back role.

I can see both sides point of view although I'm in camp RDZ here. If he wants to play Trossard up front, Trossard - if the optimal professional - should just accept it and do his best with it without grieving. But yeah like I said... I understand Trossards point of view as well, it must be a little bit shitty to have to play in a role where you feel you can't be your best.

Best solution would absolutely be if Trossard could be sold this window but if that doesn't happen, I hope they can sort of reconcile somehow or it some troublesome feelings could arise within the squad if there's a period of poor results while Tross, technically one of the better players in the team, is outside the team. Always the danger with unhappy quality players.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think it's good that De Zerbi is taking this line with Trossard. Its the first big test of his man management skills here and he's clearly showing he's not afraid to publicly demand more from anyone no matter who they are if they aren't performing to the standard he expects.

It will be interesting to see how long the supposed calf injury Trossard has picked up in training keeps him out for, as I read that was the reason for him being missing from the squad yesterday, so he hasn't been dropped officially.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
No smoke without fire. Same happened with White, Biss and Cucu. We don't want to believe it intially but the ball is rolling, nailed on exit this January IMHO.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We evolve

It is what it is.

He's had a few howlers and some absoulte gems of games and given us some magical memories.

I'd say its 80% he's off soon, 20% He responds to Bobtalian. If he does respond and stay he could be amazing . . . I suspect he'd become a supersub @ Chelsea or a Mitoma Light at Newcastle.

Right now, I reckon RDZ has him building up a head of steam to score 3 or 4 against Liverpool . . . .

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think it's good that De Zerbi is taking this line with Trossard. Its the first big test of his man management skills here and he's clearly showing he's not afraid to publicly demand more from anyone no matter who they are if they aren't performing to the standard he expects.

It will be interesting to see how long the supposed calf injury Trossard has picked up in training keeps him out for, as I read that was the reason for him being missing from the squad yesterday, so he hasn't been dropped officially.
When asked if Trossard's being left out for Everton was more because of a mental or physical problem since the world cup, RDZ said he wasn't sure and needed to talk properly with him.
RDZ clearly rates him very highly, and is also honest and open when he answers questions about his players. Will be interesting to see how this resolves... hopefully with Tross back firing on all cylinders.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
We are fine without him. If he is not going to sign a new contract then best sell him now. That is is any interest comes in as I do not beehive he is good enough for the so called big 6 clubs.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Quite clear to me he will be off IF a reasonable offer comes in. Clearly there's been a bit of friction between Trossard and RDZ since the Italian joined. He's obviously taken exception to Trossard as he's been massively positive about all the other players he's spoken about. My feeling is that from the moment he joined RDZ has probably sensed a) Trossard is too good to go missing so often b) Trossard doesn't want to commit to the club c) he isn't applying himself properly d) he is reluctant to play in the position RDZ wants him to e) that he doesn't want players like that around the team (a team full of very young impressionable players). Look, Trossard on his day is exceptional, nobody questions that, but as RDZ has said, he manages the team as if he was here for twenty years. It's a collective, long term vision that buys into the clubs own. If players don't want to be a part of that we move on. It's a great attitude IMHO even if it means losing the odd player who is talented but, ultimately, a bit of trouble.
As I've said on another thread- there's no smoke without fire. What RDZ has been saying sounds like an ultimatum, suggests Trossard has had his head turned and the obvious result is that Trossard moves on and we get on with our progress.
He's been a wonderful player here, at times one of the very best.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Won't be particularly missed IMO if he goes, and we should get some decent wedge right?
Can't agree with this - he has had many outstanding games for the Albion.
The World Cup has obviously had an effect on him and he's at the crossroads in terms of the next part of his career. He's also just become a father again - maybe that's had an effect on him?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Agree it is increasingly likely he has played his final game.
As I said much earlier on in the thread (before getting accused of ‘binning’ him or ‘writing him off’ for saying so’🙂) , It would not surprise me if it were announced this window that an offer for Tross has been accepted by Brighton from Newcastle or even Chelsea. Although on Tross’s present form, a European club, like Madrid, might be more realistic scenario given his inconsistent performances - whenever he goes, and he will at some point, I still hope, he gets a Champions club because he’s certainly good enough and it would help Brighton’s growing reputation as a destination Club for young Champions hopefuls!

Clearly, with Ferguson and now Facu very possibly playing a central MF, our deep forward/AM is looking much stronger and even when Tross is playing wide, I think with Mitoma’s speed, agility and clear goal scoring ability, Tross’s place in the squad is not as indispensable as some people have been believing in recent days.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The World Cup has obviously had an effect on him and he's at the crossroads in terms of the next part of his career. He's also just become a father again - maybe that's had an effect on him?
Spot on. A couple of mediocre recent games does not mean fans should want Tross to leave. Very stupid of them IMHO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We evolve

It is what it is.

He's had a few howlers and some absoulte gems of games and given us some magical memories.

I'd say its 80% he's off soon, 20% He responds to Bobtalian. If he does respond and stay he could be amazing . . . I suspect he's become a supersub @ Chelsea or a Mitoma Light at Newcastle.

Right now, I reckon RDZ has him building up a head of steam to score 3 or 4 against Liverpool . . . .
Really hope you’re right, I’d love to see him come out all fired up against Liverpool. Master stroke by De Zerbi if that’s what happens

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I don't mean to have a go, and I agree about his outstanding games. I just think his impact is more replaceable than other heavyweights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports