League One Promotion Race

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
A derby with Crawley would be so small-time though. Their gates are tiny and they have no league history. It's funny, they would probably sell out their near 3,000 allocation at the Amex, yet that is roughly what their home gates are.

Yep - 3,427 to be precise. That'd kill them at our level - they'll have to enlarge that stadium, if they can, if they don't want their progress to stall.

Last edited:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
:lolol: no worries! Nothing wrong with that! Would be nice to go up, with the signing of Ulloa, I still think we need to hang on to Macca until the summer!

It's gonna be an exciting few months ahead with Ulloa and Vicente to come in
Plus orlandi & Lopez now taking shape in the team , Buckley & Bridcutt getting better & better
Great innit :)

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Doncaster, Sheffield Utd, and Notts County please.

3 affordable and decent days out on the whole for me (Doncaster less so than the others).

D

Deleted member 22389

Tranmere, Swindon, MK Mongs and Yeovil can f*** right off.
Crawley, Stevenage, Bournemouth and Brentford meh.
So that leaves:
Sheff Utd, Crewe and Donny.

Mk Mongs can most definately F**k Off.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
My money would be on Swindon & Tranmere with the top 2 spots and hopefully Crawley through the Play-Off's.
I'd like to see Crawley do well. It'd be good to have an actual local Derby and not a forced pretend one.

Not sure I could get excited or nervous about Crawley away like I do with Palace.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Doncaster, Tranmere and Brentford to go up for me - was actually expecting Sheffield United and Coventry to go up instead of Tranmere and Brentford too, shows how unpredictable L1 is.

Crawley wont survive at this level and if they came up, they would go straight back down. They cant get the crowds and dont even sell out now against Premier League teams in the cup.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bournemouth, Brentford and Crawley in the interests of journey times!

That said, journey times aside, I'd like to see Tranmere go up as they have battled away and it's at last coming good; Sheffield Utd just shouldn't be in League 1 and I think they'd add some competition to the Championship and keep it a tough league (although an element of their fans can stay away please); and Donny to come back up as they have a good set up there and we have a good hoistory with them.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
It's gonna be an exciting few months ahead with Ulloa and Vicente to come in
Plus orlandi & Lopez now taking shape in the team , Buckley & Bridcutt getting better & better
Great innit :)

You can just see it

'Bruno, takes the ball past one, a lovely crossed ball switch to Orlandi, inside to Vicente, Vicente with the turn, ball out wide to Buckley, Buckleys ball in UULLLOAAAAAA, Brighton in added on time seal promotion with a play off final win against rivals Crystal Palace, Glenn Murray has his head in his hands, he must be kicking himself'

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And Pompey in division 4 come May would be absolutely lovely.

At least they have plenty of variety in their south coast derbies....

Last season stains and us,
This season bournemuff and exeter
Next season torquay and plymouth!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
At least they have plenty of variety in their south coast derbies....

Last season stains and us,
This season bournemuff and exeter
Next season torquay and plymouth!
Actually Exeter are in the league below, and probably swapping places with Pompey next season, so sadly that's one big derby game they'll be missing. :(

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Haven't Tranmere got a shedload of backing now? They were installed as favourites for last season but it all went a bit flat. This season they have sorted it out. Don't think they're about to fall away anytime soon.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd like to see Tranmere promoted but i think you're probably right. I followed them at Uni in Liverpool in the days of Aldridge and would love to see the back in the second tier. Their excellent first half of the season was partly down to several excellent loan players and not sure they have held on to them. They also got hit by an injury crisis pre Christmas and results waned and their confidence took a bit of a hammering. They'll do well to maintain it. Would like to see them and Brentford up and Bournemouth through the play offs.

Top post on the Gary Dicker thread by the way. Agree entirely.

I've nothing against Tranmere at all, I used to love watching Jon Challinor throw a ball further than I can kick it! You're right about the loans, Jake Cassidy has gone back to Wolves and he was looking pretty handy. I do like League 1 football, there are more clubs who have a chance of doing something and there's a lot more to aspire to in that league. The Premier League is quite depressing really.

Thanks, I'm working hard to rebuild my tarnished reputation after the Kuszczak clanger!

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I think it will be Crawley(I just really want this to happen), Sheffield United and Doncaster. It would be nice if it is a Crawley vs Bournemouth play-off final. I wouldn't mind either of those teams.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I actually think Tranmere would cope with the step up better than most expect. They are a solid, physical side, that can play some decent stuff on their day. They've got a nice mix of pace and strength - I think they'd cope, just at this level.

Of the clubs in the running I'd like to see Bournemouth do well. I like them as a family club and it's an alright away day.

D

Deleted member 18477

i would like small clubs to come up. ones that wont challenge for the playoffs and promotion. sheff utd can stay down in league 1.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Crawley have lost key players and Sparrow isn't the answer. I fully expect them to drop off now.

I would love to see Brentford,Bournemouth and Donny go up.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Donny, Bournemouth (Thought they are getting the new stand at somepoint) and Crawley would be pleasing to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports