Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Le Havre away in pre-season

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
mona said:
where did you hear this?
The 2005 trip to Le Havre was a good one and many of us hoped to go again.

I think it was in the Argus.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
sid said:
night club on the boat that weekend there was an off with the bouncers and tear gas was used never saw there mob all week end

yeh i was queuing up inside the club when it kicked off with the bouncers. there was also loads of drugged up french kiddies in there and one was being sick all over the floor and on my shoes...they threw him out and he just collapsed and fell face first onto a car bonnet knocking himself out :clap2:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One of the Dean's told me at the sponsors dinner that he'd heard they weren't going this year. He was disappointed as he said their training facilities are mint.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
seven stands said:
is that true ? what have our training ground facilities got to do with it. I thought it was a England France bonding exercise more that training with each other

It is true. It was also a twinning exercise but they still wanted better facilities than we can offer.
It may rekindle when we have a stadium.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The training ground excuse is a shit one imo, I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think the word facilities was used which would include Withdean.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
I think the word facilities was used which would include Withdean.

So how would Withdean facilities affect Le Havre if the match was played in France?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Icy Gull said:
So how would Withdean facilities affect Le Havre if the match was played in France?

It would be rude to accept hospitality and not return it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
It would be rude to accept hospitality and not return it.

Not sure that would apply if we just arranged a pre-season friendly to be played in Le Havre. If anyone's being rude it's Le Havre dissing our home ground :lolol:

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Mon dieu, surely Le Havre knew our situation when they entered into our reciprical arrangement, I mean...we liberated them from the Germans in the full knowledge that their beaches were heavily fortified and it was likely that a large number of soldiers were goint to get shot!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
see my post above....the albion have said its because of "lack of funding"

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Presumably it costs a lot more for LeHavre to stay here as English hotels are much more expensive than French equivalent. Le Havre might be back in the top division next season so they need to be ready to play better teams tbh.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Icy Gull said:
That's not the only thing that happens though, we've had their youth and reserves over here for games and training, problem is we train at a muddy university field.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
I would guess there is an element that he wants there to be more to it, another stick to beat the club with.

Your problem if you see conspiracy theories not mine

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Just some of your recent comments about the chairman etc suggest you would like there to be more to it.

Each to their own.

Just glad Knight made the big decision and got rid of McGhee.

I'm not a fan of some of DK's spin I admit, I also accept getting rid of MM was the right decision in retrospect. Didn't like the way DK did it. Interpret that as another dig if you like.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:
. Didn't like the way DK did it. Interpret that as another dig if you like.

Godfather style?

It's how all managers should be WACKED.

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The previous trips (and Le Harve youngsters coming to Sussex) was paid for by an EU Interreg grant. The funding for that finished in December 2006.

It was funded under an initiative "sport, culture and learning". The promotion of cross community initiatives and professional development through football.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mr Blobby said:
The previous trips (and Le Harve youngsters coming to Sussex) was paid for by an EU Interreg grant. The funding for that finished in December 2006.

It was funded under an initiative "sport, culture and learning". The promotion of cross community initiatives and professional development through football.

Dare I say that may have more to do with the cancelling of this fixture than our facilities being shit? :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here