Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LCD Soundsystem RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ironically, I have the 12" of Losing My Edge, having bought it on the strength of hearing it was a cool record to have and wanting to be "on trend".

Funny. You're one of the "art school Brooklynites in little jackets" he refers to :smile:

On a similar vein the Ibiza show I mentioned was not only my honeymoon but also my birthday. We then went on to see Fatboy at Space and I ended up on a beach in the morning rather worse for wear ......"I woke up on a beach naked in Ibiza in 1968"........thankfully my clothers were still intact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This still makes me sad, my favourite band of the 00's. They were stunning live from the small venues to the bigger ones, their show to close Bestival in 2010 is an all time top 10 and probably the most euphoric I've ever felt at a gig.

I'm waiting hopefully for the reunion, somewhere around 2020 I reckon.

SUAPTH is amazing synopsis of everything that was great about them, I toyed with jumping on the plane for those gigs. Wish I had now.

I saw them rise from the Concorde to headline at Alexander Palace (with Hot Chip supporting) via Glastonbury and the rather wonderful Ibiza show I mentioned earlier.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I saw them rise from the Concorde to headline at Alexander Palace (with Hot Chip supporting) via Glastonbury and the rather wonderful Ibiza show I mentioned earlier.

You must have caught the show that I was gutted for missing, my first was at The Event as part of an amazing bill with a very youthful Hot Chip & Art Brut. Can't remember who the other band were. Awesome night.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

You must have caught the show that I was gutted for missing, my first was at The Event as part of an amazing bill with a very youthful Hot Chip & Art Brut. Can't remember who the other band were. Awesome night.

I saw them before either of you. James Murphy was playing at my house in 2001. That was before I took his edge, as Herr Tubthumper rightly alludes to above.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
These lyrics are LCD's best moment IMO. Incredibly poignant.

All My Friends

That's how it starts
We go back to your house
We check the charts
And start to figure it out

And if it's crowded, all the better
Because we know we're gonna be up late
But if you're worried about the weather
Then you picked the wrong place to stay
That's how it starts

And so it starts
You switch the engine on
We set controls for the heart of the sun
One of the ways we show our age

And if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up
And I still don't wanna stagger home
Then it's the memory of our betters
That are keeping us on our feet

You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan
And the next five years trying to be with your friends again

You're talking 45 turns just as fast as you can
Yeah, I know it gets tired, but it's better when we pretend

It comes apart
The way it does in bad films
Except in parts
When the moral kicks in

Though when we're running out of the drugs
And the conversation's winding away
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
For another five years of life

You drop the first ten years just as fast as you can
And the next ten people who are trying to be polite
When you're blowing eighty-five days in the middle of France
Yeah, I know it gets tired only where are your friends tonight?

And to tell the truth
Oh, this could be the last time
So here we go
Like a sales force into the night

And if I made a fool, if I made a fool, if I made a fool
On the road, there's always this
And if I'm sewn into submission
I can still come home to this

And with a face like a dad and a laughable stand
You can sleep on the plane or review what you said
When you're drunk and the kids leave impossible tasks
You think over and over, "hey, I'm finally dead."

Oh, if the trip and the plan come apart in your hand
Tou look contorted on yourself your ridiculous prop
You forgot what you meant when you read what you said
And you always knew you were tired, but then
Where are your friends tonight?

If I could see all my friends tonight
If I could see all my friends tonight.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
BTW, did you leave a review of the Deerhunter ATP on the Live Music thread? If so, I'd like to have a read. Trying to get an extra ticket for the forthcoming Concorde gig - Mr Banana is helping me out (I hope). I'm in trouble if not as I've told my wife it's all sorted!

Oof - fingers crossed for you.

It was a decent weekend that felt a little light on bands compared to previous versions. Camber also makes Butlins Minehead look like the Ritz. The £180 felt about £50 too much in hindsight, truth be told.

Deerhunter's shows were definately a highlight. Personally for me, I love Cryptograms so that one was my favourite but they were all excellent & hopefully you should reap the rewards of all the extra rehearsed songs on this tour. Spring Hall Convert was an ultra special moment as were Flourescent Grey & possibly the best Nothing Ever Happened I've ever heard.

Ex Models were the best thing I saw all weekend, the Breeders were fun, No Age, Black Lips & Cavern of Anti Matter were my other highlights. Amazing chalet parties.

On the other hand, Panda Bear played all new stuff & I was too p*ssed to really remember it that well, Kim Gordon was an awful load of pretensious tripe (coming from me, I know!) Personally I found Pere Ubu a let down, perhaps I'd built it up too much, perhaps he didn't play enough off Dub Housing.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Oof - fingers crossed for you.

It was a decent weekend that felt a little light on bands compared to previous versions. Camber also makes Butlins Minehead look like the Ritz. The £180 felt about £50 too much in hindsight, truth be told.

Deerhunter's shows were definately a highlight. Personally for me, I love Cryptograms so that one was my favourite but they were all excellent & hopefully you should reap the rewards of all the extra rehearsed songs on this tour. Spring Hall Convert was an ultra special moment as were Flourescent Grey & possibly the best Nothing Ever Happened I've ever heard.

Ex Models were the best thing I saw all weekend, the Breeders were fun, No Age, Black Lips & Cavern of Anti Matter were my other highlights. Amazing chalet parties.

On the other hand, Panda Bear played all new stuff & I was too p*ssed to really remember it that well, Kim Gordon was an awful load of pretensious tripe (coming from me, I know!) Personally I found Pere Ubu a let down, perhaps I'd built it up too much, perhaps he didn't play enough off Dub Housing.

Thanks. Sounds like a good, but not great event. Don't know Ex Models. The line up was a bit short on bands, especially bands I particularly wanted to see. At least Camber has a decent swimming pool (or it did last time I went). I can imagine that Nothing Ever Happened can be anything from 4 minutes long to 24 minutes long - presumably they extended the Krautrock coda? Looking forward to seeing them next month, hopefully with wife. Apart from the obvious, worst case scenario will be having to admit that I haven't got her a ticket and bartering with touts outside the venue!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks. Sounds like a good, but not great event. Don't know Ex Models. The line up was a bit short on bands, especially bands I particularly wanted to see. At least Camber has a decent swimming pool (or it did last time I went). I can imagine that Nothing Ever Happened can be anything from 4 minutes long to 24 minutes long - presumably they extended the Krautrock coda? Looking forward to seeing them next month, hopefully with wife. Apart from the obvious, worst case scenario will be having to admit that I haven't got her a ticket and bartering with touts outside the venue!

With NEH, the long the better in my experience. The new stuff suits the live arena as well. I may have to try and get a ticket now.

Ex Models are noise rock with a capital N. Like the Dead C, or early The Ex. I wouldn't imagine they are that special on record but they knocked my socks off live. Anyway enough of this diversion. Let's just post LCD lyrics and reminise.

"Everybody talking about it, but nobody's getting it done."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Saw them at Concorde supported by some musing little chap calling himself Waxed Apple.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Wonderful band. Saw them at the Coronet in Elephant and Castle with Hot Chip. They were superb live. Real character is James Murphy. That night they segued Us v Them into Tribulations and it was ****ing superb.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These lyrics are LCD's best moment IMO. Incredibly poignant.

All My Friends

That's how it starts
We go back to your house
We check the charts
And start to figure it out

And if it's crowded, all the better
Because we know we're gonna be up late
But if you're worried about the weather
Then you picked the wrong place to stay
That's how it starts

And so it starts
You switch the engine on
We set controls for the heart of the sun
One of the ways we show our age

And if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up, if the sun comes up
And I still don't wanna stagger home
Then it's the memory of our betters
That are keeping us on our feet

You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan
And the next five years trying to be with your friends again

You're talking 45 turns just as fast as you can
Yeah, I know it gets tired, but it's better when we pretend

It comes apart
The way it does in bad films
Except in parts
When the moral kicks in

Though when we're running out of the drugs
And the conversation's winding away
I wouldn't trade one stupid decision
For another five years of life

You drop the first ten years just as fast as you can
And the next ten people who are trying to be polite
When you're blowing eighty-five days in the middle of France
Yeah, I know it gets tired only where are your friends tonight?

And to tell the truth
Oh, this could be the last time
So here we go
Like a sales force into the night

And if I made a fool, if I made a fool, if I made a fool
On the road, there's always this
And if I'm sewn into submission
I can still come home to this

And with a face like a dad and a laughable stand
You can sleep on the plane or review what you said
When you're drunk and the kids leave impossible tasks
You think over and over, "hey, I'm finally dead."

Oh, if the trip and the plan come apart in your hand
Tou look contorted on yourself your ridiculous prop
You forgot what you meant when you read what you said
And you always knew you were tired, but then

If I could see all my friends tonight.

True. Very true.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh oh oh, make your payments to the nation

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wonderful band. Saw them at the Coronet in Elephant and Castle with Hot Chip. They were superb live. Real character is James Murphy. That night they segued Us v Them into Tribulations and it was ****ing superb.

He's a very unlikely front man as well.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
BTW, did you leave a review of the Deerhunter ATP on the Live Music thread? If so, I'd like to have a read. Trying to get an extra ticket for the forthcoming Concorde gig - Mr Banana is helping me out (I hope). I'm in trouble if not as I've told my wife it's all sorted!

I can't promise owt, sir. Wouldn't wish for you to depend on it. Having said that, I still reckon I'll get a chance to sort it :)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I wake up and the phone is ringing,
Surprised, as it's early.
And that should be the perfect warning,
That something's a problem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw them at Concorde supported by some musing little chap calling himself Waxed Apple.

Yes, I was at this gig. Waxed Apple was a black camp chap prancing around in kids y-fronts right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here