Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lawn growing

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
That reminds me, I must get a carb kit for my two stroke mantis!
Yes, it's a look at me post but I went automated aeration a few years ago, as the scratch and scrape by hand just doesn't do it for me

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have a rather sorry pot of goldstone turf, that I would like to try and rescue? I have just cut out all the dead stuff, and am not left with a lot. Just put some plant feed on it. I guess I need to protect from frost a little. Put the pot in a shed window over winter? But remember to water it? would love to restore to its former glory :) Do I let what is left grow and harvest the seeds to repopulate? Any tips? As you may have guessed - I am not a gardener :)

First the disclaimer. If it snuffs it - don't blame me! (Quietly confident it will be absolutely fine).

This is what I would do;
Soak the pot in a bucket of water over night so the grass roots can have a good drink and strengthen all the grass plants in the turf.
Next day, trim the grass with scissors or shears to 1".
Knock the grass with soil out of the pot by turning it upside down and giving it a tap on the bottom.
Remove all the soil apart from the inch below the grass, so all you've got left it a small bit of turf.
Comb the turf quite fiercely penetrating the surface. You could use an old dinner fork. If it was your head, you'd be making your scalp bleed! This is the "scarification" - raking out process, in miniature. This will freshen it up and allow air in to the turf and facilitate watering.
Fill up same pot with John Innes No.1 potting compost to about 2" from the top of the pot.
Place turf on top of the potting compost. The remaining inch of nothing is to hold water when you do so.
Water thoroughly.
Keep outside in a semi-shaded environment. Do not keep it indoors. The grass would just get long and leggy and weak.
Water once a week in the summer, April - Sept, and once a month in the winter, Oct - March.
Pull out anything that appears that isn't grass throughout the year.
Carry out this process each Spring.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
...oh, and run the scissors over it every week to keep the grass 1" high.

Having not seen the pot of grass, all I've written is on the basis that there is a bit original grass still there. A photo is always helpful.
Adding new grass seed if it's a bit bare would destroy the integrity of it being "Goldstone" turf? A bit like restoring a very old classic car, when all you have to start with is a rusty hub cab.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
...oh, and run the scissors over it every week to keep the grass 1" high.

Having not seen the pot of grass, all I've written is on the basis that there is a bit original grass still there. A photo is always helpful.
Adding new grass seed if it's a bit bare would destroy the integrity of it being "Goldstone" turf? A bit like restoring a very old classic car, when all you have to start with is a rusty hub cab.

I think the best thing is for them to give you the pot to look after ...maybe displayed in some cabinet and you set up a webcam for them to view the ‘treasure’ when they like :whistle:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There was me thinking end of March - perfect time to lay a bit of turf, ground soil temp rising, plenty of rain...

5 weeks later....first bit of rain we've had! :facepalm:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
There was me thinking end of March - perfect time to lay a bit of turf, ground soil temp rising, plenty of rain...

5 weeks later....first bit of rain we've had! :facepalm:

March / April or September / October for sowing grass seed, but the best months for turfing are from November to February. The nearer to November, the better. This allows the turf to root in and establish before the ground starts to dry out, usually end of March!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
March / April or September / October for sowing grass seed, but the best months for turfing are from November to February. The nearer to November, the better. This allows the turf to root in and establish before the ground starts to dry out, usually end of March!

Spot on ...try telling my customers but do they listen ....sigh

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I didn't really have any choice and got them down as soon as I could, ideally would have been in February, but ironically the ground was just too wet and things just took a lot more preparation time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I didn't really have any choice and got them down as soon as I could, ideally would have been in February, but ironically the ground was just too wet and things just took a lot more preparation time.

There's nothing worse than trying to prepare the ground when it's really wet. Sometimes nature holds you to ransom!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Crazy year so far for grass growing. Calendar says it is "May" but soil temperatures have been more like February for past couple of months... combined with a two month drought over the same period the grass has not behaved normally.

I got caught out trying to overseed during March and killed off a couple of patches of my lawn by leaving germination sheets on too long. 25 square metres of CB Winters finest turf did a a great recovery job + fertiliser and lots of watering has got me to a happy place.

BUT... I now have a problem with wildlife (crows and foxes) doing their best to ruin it every night. I understand that they are digging for chafer grubs. The crows make smaller round holes while the fox just makes a general mess ripping up bits of turf. I've resorted to putting back down the netting that I use to catch Autumn leaves as protection but obviously don't want that as a permanent feature.

Can I get rid of the chafer grubs? Will they disappear of their own accord at some point (hopefully very soon!)?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I just wanted to say thank you to those on this thread. It has been most useful as I have tried to revive my dying lawn.

Judging by the amount of craneflies I get in September/October, it would appear that we have a leatherjacket issue. I was planning to use Nematodes, however, as others have said, the temperature has been too low up until this week, so it may have to wait until autumn now.

I overseeded in March, but it just didn't take (I guess because of the cold).

I have, however, been drenching the lawn every day, and it is starting to come to life. I have avoided cutting and will try to put that off for another 10 days or so.

So, thanks - this thread has been helpful! :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We had a real problem with Chafer Grubs at Waterhall Golf Course many years' ago. Whole greens were destroyed over night. The chemical we used is now banned I believe. I wouldn't know what to do to get rid of them now.
This gives you lots of info that may(bug) help?
https://thelawnman.co.uk/chafer-bee... chafer grub has,rebuilt into an adult beetle.

Been walking the dog around Waterhall golf course, particularly the holes at the very top of the course. Amazed it has gone to seed, great for my dog walking though. What on earth went wrong?

I had a few leather jackets with my turf, only a few so no harm down, but was told put some black plastic sheeting down overnight and it brings them all up to the surface where either the birds will get them or pick them off. Same with the chafer bugs perhaps?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Been walking the dog around Waterhall golf course, particularly the holes at the very top of the course. Amazed it has gone to seed, great for my dog walking though. What on earth went wrong?

I had a few leather jackets with my turf, only a few so no harm down, but was told put some black plastic sheeting down overnight and it brings them all up to the surface where either the birds will get them or pick them off. Same with the chafer bugs perhaps?

Waterhall maybe already or will be extended as part of The Downs nature reserve which should explain its condition.
We used to use the black plastic sheeting technique, watering like buggery before the sheets went on. Difficult to tell whether it was successful or not. We never saw many Leatherjackets after the sheets were removed, but perhaps they emerged afterwards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here