Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is a massive thing to accuse a sport of. Cycling doesn't have a doping problem, never has. Individuals taint sports.
I just threw it out there.
TBH you could probably make the same case for all sports, statistics being what they are.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Read Between the Lines

It felt like his appearance was part of a strategy to try to get to a position where he would be accepted into another sport Triathlon? / Iron Man? I hope we never hear from him again. Sport is nothing if we can't trust it. When an individual improves rapidly we now raise eyebrows - sad world.

Lance no doubt, as he has in his character, had this planned. I picked out several phrases, 'level playing field', 'doping was like putting air in your tyres'. Then he staes that he wants to return to competing, the road to his contriction and return. Why, he considered that he was competing on a level playing field when he was doping, implying that he knew who was doping, as all of the top 200 riders were. It was easier for a domestique, who was dispensible, easily paid off and did most of the donkey work to dope as the testing regime for someone that comes in 120 on a stage is not as strict as that of the top 20 on a stage. But by indicating that he would want to return provides him a bargaining chip with the corrupt top eschelon of the UCI, consider my return or i'll tell all. If Lance went public it could blow the sport apart from its sponsors to the top of the UCI, perhaps ts needed. But, but, but, in response to the replied text, does anyone remember that domestique, who had already served four teams coming from obscurity to climb his way to fourth place in the tour. That'll be someone that could climb, had not been a team leader, but managed this fantastic feat. What was the guys name? Be careful what you wish for, because those who have been knighted walk a fine line!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Typo, thats .....couldn't climb......

As for the comment that doping is an individual action in cycling, it may be at lower levels, but when your pro continental or Pro Tour Team it takes on a whole different meaning. Although riders live and train apart, their physiotherapy, diet, training regime, programme, logistics and materila support come from the centre. If anyone believes that Lance Armstrong managed to beat Ullrich, Beloki, Pantani etc by doping and they weren't, they know nothing of the sport. The margins were not massive every time, so people should stand back and consider everything in context. Most of them doped and no rider ever accussed another of winning unfairly because of doping.
I do believe the sport is changing, but it has not changed, when doping they have it down to a fine art of half an hour when substances clear the blood and body, unfortunately Schleck got it wrong last year, perhaps because his brother who he trains with wasn't there. But surely if they are that close they both would have been on the same?
There is so much more to come on this story and I don't think it will be good for the sport!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
You speak sense, then drop in some utter bullshit. Sounds like someone is jealous.

I have no jealousy, especially of the modrider, see my name. I have no idea of what he has done and pray that he has been clean. Just consider that he was at Cofidis, a team where doping was systemic, granted he left shapish, which may be to his credit. But his amazing performance in the tour three years ago was out of the blue. If that had been by a Spainiard, Italian or Russian we would all be shouting doping. I have no axe to grinde just consider the rise. I would also forward the remarkable longevity and fantastic performance of your man Voeckler, KOM at his age, totally brillaint!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Lance no doubt, as he has in his character, had this planned. I picked out several phrases, 'level playing field', 'doping was like putting air in your tyres'. Then he staes that he wants to return to competing, the road to his contriction and return. Why, he considered that he was competing on a level playing field when he was doping, implying that he knew who was doping, as all of the top 200 riders were. It was easier for a domestique, who was dispensible, easily paid off and did most of the donkey work to dope as the testing regime for someone that comes in 120 on a stage is not as strict as that of the top 20 on a stage. But by indicating that he would want to return provides him a bargaining chip with the corrupt top eschelon of the UCI, consider my return or i'll tell all. If Lance went public it could blow the sport apart from its sponsors to the top of the UCI, perhaps ts needed. But, but, but, in response to the replied text, does anyone remember that domestique, who had already served four teams coming from obscurity to climb his way to fourth place in the tour. That'll be someone that could climb, had not been a team leader, but managed this fantastic feat. What was the guys name? Be careful what you wish for, because those who have been knighted walk a fine line!

Looking at the route for 2009 it was fairly Wiggins-friendly: 3 time-trail stages (long-ish Prologue, Team TT with Garmin, and a long ITT) helped massively, like the time-trials last year did. The climbing was a surprise but he NEVER attacked in the mountains. He rode tempo to reduce losses. When his rivals were 2 teams with 2 team leaders it made things tamer than they could've been (see the Vuelta last year!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking at the route for 2009 it was fairly Wiggins-friendly: 3 time-trail stages (long-ish Prologue, Team TT with Garmin, and a long ITT) helped massively, like the time-trials last year did. The climbing was a surprise but he NEVER attacked in the mountains. He rode tempo to reduce losses. When his rivals were 2 teams with 2 team leaders it made things tamer than they could've been (see the Vuelta last year!)
That Tour set up my soft spot for Garmin and man crush on NSC's finest, Ryder Hesjedal.

I loved the 'scientific' approach to the TTT.

Have 4 national and world TT champions, send them out like pooh off a shiny shovel, then prey one other loon can hold on for 40 odd kms.
BW hit that tour with a plan, for the first time, it wasn't a perfect plan, and was never one that was going to win, what with Contador in the race.
But what it did do was draw up the template and set the foundation/belief for the perfect storm that was '12.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and the only reason Lancey-poohs came back was because he felt he could have won Carlos Satre's 2008 tour, arrogantly discounting Contador, and his abilities in the chemists.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Oh and the only reason Lancey-poohs came back was because he felt he could have won Carlos Satre's 2008 tour, arrogantly discounting Contador, and his abilities in the chemists.

Make no error in my opinion of Lance, first amongst equals, but smarter with a very disciplined team, he wanted ti win the tour by being the fastest, not the nicest. The sport, the world has missed a massive opportunity to get to the bottom of the whole issue of doping and exposing the UCI. A Truth and Receonciliation board would have been more productive, has Tyler Hamilton named his sources for supply and application, who advised Floyd Landis and who the hell was Contadors butcher? It needs outing and now is the time. Too many people missing the chance here. Cyclists are straight forward, simple guys on the whole, they do not source, apply complicated drugs and administer blood products, there is a shadowy world of those in the background who need to be traced. Why does Bjarne Rijs look so young, Mr 60%.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have no idea of what he has done and pray that he has been clean. Just consider that he was at Cofidis, a team where doping was systemic, granted he left shapish, which may be to his credit. But his amazing performance in the tour three years ago was out of the blue. If that had been by a Spainiard, Italian or Russian we would all be shouting doping.

The insinuations make me angry, because I thought people would look back into my history, the things I've said in the past, such as at the start of the 2006 Tour when I turned up for a first go at the race and Operación Puerto kicked off, what I said when Floyd Landis went positive, and what I said when I was chucked out with Cofidis after Cristian Moreni tested positive in 2007.

On the way home after that, I put my Cofidis kit in a dustbin at Pau airport because I didn't want to be seen in it, and swore I would never race in it again, because I was so sick at what had happened.

Bradley Wiggins: I can never dope because it would cost me everything | Sport | The Guardian

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The insinuations make me angry, because I thought people would look back into my history, the things I've said in the past, such as at the start of the 2006 Tour when I turned up for a first go at the race and Operación Puerto kicked off, what I said when Floyd Landis went positive, and what I said when I was chucked out with Cofidis after Cristian Moreni tested positive in 2007.

On the way home after that, I put my Cofidis kit in a dustbin at Pau airport because I didn't want to be seen in it, and swore I would never race in it again, because I was so sick at what had happened.

Bradley Wiggins: I can never dope because it would cost me everything | Sport | The Guardian

Hey thank you for that,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
5 live now, not link on web site, yet.

Guy Forgot getting properly stuck into the amount of drugs in tennis.

Novak Djokovic says he hasn't been blood tested for 6-7 month.

2011 only 136 blood tests, in and out of competition.
That total is on the decline since 190+ in 2006.

Considering passports, but not in operation.

Won't be increasing blood tests partly because of finance. :facepalm:
More money going towards prize money.

The tennis anti-doping budget was under spent last year.

Education is part of the bigger picture, not just testing.

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

With so much money at stake and the pressure on athletes of all sports needing to perform consistently over long period spans, we find that once a sports star appears, its not in the sports best interest for the star to be caught cheating. Therefore we find many more unknown emerging athletes being caught whilst those who are in the public eye and can command a large return being able to manouevre and beat the testers. Who makes the money, the Federations, sponsors and event organisers and all the business that grows around these athletes. In one year 2007 my Pro Continental riders were tested 196 times, one batch of testing at 5.00 am on the day of Gent Wevelgem. Its best as a sport supporter to just view an event and not think too deeply, becuase if you did, it would ruin your perception.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That is a massive thing to accuse a sport of. Cycling doesn't have a doping problem, never has. Individuals taint sports.

I just threw it out there.
TBH you could probably make the same case for all sports, statistics being what they are.
Tennis, football & golf are the three sports I take particular interest in when it comes to the finger pointing at cycling, on the subject of drugs in sport.
So as much as I half heartedly threw that tennis link out there without really reading it myself, because as said 'well it's stat's innit', 5-live's interview with the ATP's drug bloke, last night was pretty damning.

That was the bones of what the fella said, written as spoken so it will be on I-player after 22:15, last night.
There was a degree of squirming from him, which is hardly surprising.

Bradley Wiggins Peter Sagan, and Joaquím Rodríguez between them had more blood tests than ALL of professional tennis, in 2012.

YOU WON'T FIND DRUGS IN SPORT IF YOU DON'T LOOK FOR THEM.

No record of the interview or Forgot's comments on the BBC Tennis front page.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports