Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Absolute heaps.

Ben Johnson Olympics was a big one.

Quite a lot of of Major League Baseballs biggest names of the 90's were pinged. Their non admittance into their HoF was just a big story last week.

It's a big story for cycling fans but only because we've all been following it for years and in some ways this is the full stop to the story. I doubt any of these people who all of a sudden have an opinion would know who someone like Michael Rasmussen was without googling him.

I hope they do google him - they might get to see his 2005 Tour TT... :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. Nice cover-up allowing athletics to be 'clean' to the general population. If there is any desire for actually clean sport then the names should be released. It serves the purpose of knowing where the sport comes from.
It also serves as a massive deterrent. Ok, you might be a step ahead of us, but we will catch up one day, and we will publish the results, and you will be dragged through the mud. Although saying that, it's difficult (impossible) to have any symathy for multimillionaire Armstrong.

Absolute heaps.

Ben Johnson Olympics was a big one.
He was just the one that got caught, because he over-did it so much. Maybe one day sports will be fairly clean. We can dream.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be fair to the UK, interest in cycling starting increasing from the time of Boardman and then escalated more with Wiggins and Hoy's success in 2004 and subsequent Olympics. Obviously interest in 'le Tour' has now gone stratopheric in the last two years because of Wiggins and his team, first coming close and then this year winning.
As I'm not going to get involved in the who is/who isn't debate (most of them are, why wouldn't they).

I'm going after this one, instead.

Interest in Le Tour has always been stratopheric, you only have to look at the crowds lining the street whenever it comes over.
A million+ people a few years ago, long before Team Sky.
Check out the footage of Brighton's stage, back in the day, massive massive crowds.

What's elevated the sport, is the media finally coming round to thinking the same.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nor would I want to even try.
Top stuff, a question I usually ask of other buglers:-

Is it wrong to have The Bugle form most if not all of my political views?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ladbrokes:-

Cycling / Cycling Specials
Lance Armstrong to mention any of these phrases
Time Event Selection Odds More
15 Jan. 17:00

Lance Armstrong Specials
Livestrong 1/8
Sorry 1/4
Apologise 1/4
Confess evens
Conspiracy 1/2
Innocent evens
David Walsh 2/1
Paul Kimmage 2/1
Sunday Times 4/1
British press/media 4/1
Witch hunt 2/1
Integrity 6/4
Never tested positive evens
Team Sky 8/1
Bradley Wiggins 4/1
Sir David Brailsford 8/1
USADA 4/6
WADA 6/4
Tour de France 1/8
Floyd Landis 4/1
Tyler Hamilton 6/4
George Hincapie 4/1
Johan Bruyneel 4/1
Dr. Ferrari evens
EPO 6/4

I just don't see him giving air time to anybody other than Lance.

'So Lance what do you think about Floyd/Tyler/David/Paul'.
'Well other people have always been jealous of me... blah blah blah'

I'd imagine Big George at 4's might be the except.
He was loyal up until the Grand Jury, and surely even Lance must see even that's bigger than him.

I've not heard the interview, but I believe from 'bespoke' Big George got a name check.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As I'm not going to get involved in the who is/who isn't debate (most of them are, why wouldn't they).

Interest in Le Tour has always been stratopheric, you only have to look at the crowds lining the street whenever it comes over.
Check out the footage of Brighton's stage, back in the day, massive massive crowds.

Calm down calm down!!!! I never said there was no interest in Le Tour. There has always been cyclists who follow it and maybe a few sports fanatics who follow anything but with the success over recent years of our cyclists has come increased demand and with it the increased media attention which itself generates more interest. In 1994 there were great crowds but Boardman was, according to Wikipedia, the holder of the yellow jersey when the stage started. His fame had previously come from the Olympics and his one hour records attempts.

At the end of the day, rather than have a pop at me, perhaps you should be responding to Mr Biggums who seem to suggest that no one followed cycling before Armstrong!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Calm down calm down!!!! I never said there was no interest in Le Tour. There has always been cyclists who follow it and maybe a few sports fanatics who follow anything but with the success over recent years of our cyclists has come increased demand and with it the increased media attention which itself generates more interest. In 1994 there were great crowds but Boardman was, according to Wikipedia, the holder of the yellow jersey when the stage started. His fame had previously come from the Olympics and his one hour records attempts.

At the end of the day, rather than have a pop at me, perhaps you should be responding to Mr Biggums who seem to suggest that no one followed cycling before Armstrong!!!!
Oh I wasn't having a pop at you, more the media for finally deciding there's an cycling audience, when in fact it's been there all along. The footage of the Plymouth stage back in the early 70's back that up.

Boardman wasn't wearing Yellow for Brighton.
Ironically he lost yellow the stage before it came to England and Sean Yeates won it in Portsmouth for the next stage in France.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What's elevated the sport, is the media finally coming round to thinking the same.

Oh I wasn't having a pop at you, more the media for finally deciding there's an cycling audience, when in fact it's been there all along. The footage of the Plymouth stage back in the early 70's back that up.

Boardman wasn't wearing Yellow for Brighton.
Ironically he lost yellow the stage before it came to England and Sean Yeates won it in Portsmouth for the next stage in France.

Fair enough. (Still think you should have a pop at Biggums though!).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough. (Still think you should have a pop at Biggums though!).

ok ok, I'll re read Ty and stick the boot in after I've walked the dogs.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The little I have seen has wound me up more than I thought.

The complete lack of choice in his argument.

What the F is this referring to himself in the third party.

The lack of any sincerity in his argument.

The sad world he inherits. The inability to face up to what he has done and how much he needs to walk away now and just get this all out in court and get another job that does not involve chemicals.

Shows how much money and sport can create cheats and fraudsters

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

The sad world he inherits. The inability to face up to what he has done and how much he needs to walk away now and just get this all out in court and get another job that does not involve chemicals.

Pretty much feel the same the man has gone down even further in my estimation (if possible) he does not life in the real world and I would prefer to never hear his name again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I took [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION]'s advise and left well alone, and jolly pleased I am too.

The general consensus being he said just enough to make it an event, but nowhere never enough to be relevant.

It's one thing not to be sorry, but something completely different to be sorry and not mean it.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
It felt like his appearance was part of a strategy to try to get to a position where he would be accepted into another sport Triathlon? / Iron Man? I hope we never hear from him again. Sport is nothing if we can't trust it. When an individual improves rapidly we now raise eyebrows - sad world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here