Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Lance first among equals, anyone thinking he was the only one is not in touch with reality. Who complained at the time, who really loses and how much money did Nike and Trek make on his back. Lane first amongst equals is being punished for the sport and the MASSIVE failings of the UCI.

What a load of sh#t. Anyone who's read anything about it knows that anyone who approached his equal (Hamilton/Landis) were bullied and harassed by his influence, to ensure they couldn't compete. He ensured only he had access to the best doping and he was cosy with the UCI to eliminate his rivals.

He attempted to destroy many people and amassed over $100m in the process.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Armstrong is a sorry excuse for an individual, how he can have lied for years to his friends, his fans, the courts, his backers is amazing. Anything he achieved in the past means nothing now, nothing.

No - what he achieved in the past means the whole system needs a massive overhaul, starting with the UCI. The removal of his results, instead of acknowledging his existance as part of a bigger problem is a MASSIVE head-in-the-sand moment. There is loads that cycling, and sport in general can learn from the LA era. WADA needs more power. Sports governing bodies need independant testers AS WELL AS in-house testing. We need to know the hows, wheres, whens and whos of this - what's the supply chain?

He should always be seen as an incredible (in all senses!) rider, as there will be other equally-talented riders in the future who need pro-actively protecting from doping. Failing to learn from this will be the biggest failure of the whole saga.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
No - what he achieved in the past means the whole system needs a massive overhaul, starting with the UCI. The removal of his results, instead of acknowledging his existance as part of a bigger problem is a MASSIVE head-in-the-sand moment. There is loads that cycling, and sport in general can learn from the LA era. WADA needs more power. Sports governing bodies need independant testers AS WELL AS in-house testing. We need to know the hows, wheres, whens and whos of this - what's the supply chain?

He should always be seen as an incredible (in all senses!) rider, as there will be other equally-talented riders in the future who need pro-actively protecting from doping. Failing to learn from this will be the biggest failure of the whole saga.

Did he set out to win by cheating? Was he forced to or did he choose?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Did he set out to win by cheating? Was he forced to or did he choose?

There's pretty much always been a culture of doping in cycling (and most top level sports). He didn't invent it. However, there is ALWAYS a choice.

As Nicole Cooke says:

Nicole Cooke said:
"Pressure was put on me but I was determined, and fortunate. I had a very good team-mate who was in a similar predicament and she took the same stance I did. Team-mates that say "NO" are priceless. I would have been very naive to think that I would not encounter moments, like this. I am appalled that so many men bleat on about the fact that the pressures were too great. Too great for what? This is not doing 71 mph on the motorway when the legal limit is 70. This is stealing somebody else's livelihood. It is theft just as much as putting your hand in a purse or wallet and taking money is theft. Theft has gone on since the dawn of time but because somebody, somewhere else, does it, does not mean it is right for you to do it. There can be no excuse."

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The removal of his results, instead of acknowledging his existance as part of a bigger problem is a MASSIVE head-in-the-sand moment.

I don't think the removal of his results was an either/or situation in relation to admitting the problem. They had to do it and they did.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I don't think the removal of his results was an either/or situation in relation to admitting the problem. They had to do it and they did.

No they didn't. Why remove his, but not Pantani's '98 Tour/Giro win? Why not Riis's Tour? Why not Ullrich's win? Why not those of Coppi, Bartoli, Merchx?

ALL wins of riders that are later shown to be doping should be highlighted as such, not removed. And if you remove 1 rider's results, why not all the other covicted cheats' too?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
No they didn't. Why remove his, but not Pantani's '98 Tour/Giro win? Why not Riis's Tour? Why not Ullrich's win? Why not those of Coppi, Bartoli, Merchx?

ALL wins of riders that are later shown to be doping should be highlighted as such, not removed. And if you remove 1 rider's results, why not all the other covicted cheats' too?

True. The UCI is trying to repeat festina - demonise someone as an evil cheater that isn't representative of the sport, rather than accepting a widespread problem.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That's more to do with the systematic approach Lance took, and the fact he was 'never' caught.

Of those mentioned Pantani Riis and Ullrich all tainted themselves allowing the record books to speak for themselves.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
That's more to do with the systematic approach Lance took, and the fact he was 'never' caught.

Of those mentioned Pantani Riis and Ullrich all tainted themselves allowing the record books to speak for themselves.

I don't believe his was the only team with systematic a doping structure, and we both know the 'fact' he was never caught is untrue. I hope (but don't expect) that he gives both barrels to the UCI. Verbruggen and McQuaid have a lot of questions to answer, and no place in cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't believe his was the only team with systematic a doping structure, and we both know the 'fact' he was never caught is untrue. I hope (but don't expect) that he gives both barrels to the UCI. Verbruggen and McQuaid have a lot of questions to answer, and no place in cycling.
Every word true.

There was a time when most had some kind of systematic a doping structure, either in house, or 'knowing' done.

But nobody came close to Lance.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I can't help thinking that if he was European (and 'proper' Europe, not UK) he'd still be in the clear...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't help thinking that if he was European (and 'proper' Europe, not UK) he'd still be in the clear...
I know what you mean, but no, it's not just nationality that was his downfall.

Arrogance, spite, pig headedness, intimidation ... do I need to continue, with Lancey-poohs lesser traits, that were is final demise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those that know cycling, know this is whimsical:-

[tweet]291214815479861250[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't see tweets on tapatalk. :-(

Oprah Talks Bikes@OprahTalksBikes*