Lambert resigns after row over Villa job

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bollox does it. Not in a million years would Poyet consider going to either Norwich or Swansea. Some people live on a very strange planet.

Genuine question - why do you think that? Professing loyalty to your current employer means nothing - both Rodgers and Lambert did that earlier this week.

I appreciate that Gus has a large amount of control over footballing matters here - but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't at least be interested in hearing what Swansea and Norwich have to say. Both are in the division above us, have significantly larger budgets and decent players.

ChrisBonner_BTN

May 16, 2012
Newhaven
I think everything needs to happen quickly now, all these clubs looking for new managers will want someone in place to be fully prepared for next season, if Gus does end up going somewhere I hope he doesn't string us along, and I hope that we get a new manager as quick as possible.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I know some are pissed off with Gus not stating his future categorically to Brighton but I would rather him keep his counsel than telling the world that he has no intention of leaving and is committed blah blah blah and then upping sticks and mincing off to some other club
We are the only constant in this club
Boards, managers, players come and go. I love Gus and would love to see him stay and grow and become as good as he could be - but if he feels that it is not happening quick enough then so be it.
Fortunately as many have said on here we have a chairman who I belive has the greater good of this club at heart.

Wise words.

Mind you, it's hard not to feel a bit of Schadenfreude towards Norwich right now.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Genuine question, what is with the dislike for Lambert on here?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Genuine question - why do you think that? Professing loyalty to your current employer means nothing - both Rodgers and Lambert did that earlier this week.

I appreciate that Gus has a large amount of control over footballing matters here - but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't at least be interested in hearing what Swansea and Norwich have to say. Both are in the division above us, have significantly larger budgets and decent players.

I just cannot see see how either of those two clubs are sufficiently significant to tempt Poyet away from 'Project Brighton,' regardless of the fact that they're both temporarily 'on loan' to the Premiership.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010

To a certain extent I agree, but personnally think it's more to do with the potential Gus has to achieve, and thus impress for the jobs he really wants.

With Swansea or Norwich The most Gus could aim for is a Europa cup place.

With the albion, he has the potential to gain another promotion, oversea the creation of a ( eventually tier 1 ) academy, AND achieve a Europa cup place.

It's arguable that with the setup here, he has more chance of a Europa Cup place than with either Norwich or Swansea.

When all that is acheived, he'll have the CV to have a chance of getting the top job he wants.

So unless I big draw team comes in for him ( Everton, or dare I say it, Villa) , then I'm sure he'll be our manager next season.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Bollox does it. Not in a million years would Poyet consider going to either Norwich or Swansea. Some people live on a very strange planet.

He came to league 1 Brighton, Only a few years later a Prem job at Swansea comes in why not? They're not a Liverpool etc but they're a step up (Currently).

I just cannot see see how either of those two clubs are sufficiently significant to tempt Poyet away from 'Project Brighton,' regardless of the fact that they're both temporarily 'on loan' to the Premiership.

I just wonder how much he actually views it as 'Project Brighton', and how much of it is rose-tinted spectacles from the fans.

To a certain extent I agree, but personnally think it's more to do with the potential Gus has to achieve, and thus impress for the jobs he really wants.

With Swansea or Norwich The most Gus could aim for is a Europa cup place.

With the albion, he has the potential to gain another promotion, oversea the creation of a ( eventually tier 1 ) academy, AND achieve a Europa cup place.

It's arguable that with the setup here, he has more chance of a Europa Cup place than with either Norwich or Swansea.

When all that is acheived, he'll have the CV to have a chance of getting the top job he wants.

So unless I big draw team comes in for him ( Everton, or dare I say it, Villa) , then I'm sure he'll be our manager next season.

I take the point that it's difficult to achieve 'success' with those two clubs - you'd have to think that both Swansea and Norwich are at (or very close to) their apex in terms of realistic achievements.

I also think that the fact that these two managers have been offered much bigger jobs after only one season in the Premier League actually works in our favour (for the time being). It shows Gus that if he can get us into a mid-table Premiership position then there should be bigger jobs on offer to him.

I just wish I was as certain as you two that his head won't be turned!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think we can safely say that Swansea would be the club Gus would prefer of the two because they have the playing style, but the big question will be how much it means to Gus to get a team promoted to the premiership himself rather than just walk into a premiership club. Now obviously this wouldn't matter if it was Spurs or Chelsea. If they came a looking he'd be in there like a rat up a drainpipe, but taking Swansea or Norwich forward is not much of a challenge given the groundwork that has been done already. As someone else said the best he can do is get them into the europa or at least top half. Which would be an achievement and get him a big job next up, but I've got this funny feeling the way Gus has continually talked that he wants to own his achievements and I think he is the sort of individual who will take much more joy and kudos from delivering with Brighton, his project, than taking Brendan Rodgers or Paul Lamberts projects to the next step. Just my call.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Am I the only one who isn't concerned about managers coming and going. Sure it pisses everyone off but that is modern day Football unfortunatley. I'm sure Gus will be here next season and I seriously hope he is but for me the only guy at the Albion that matters 100% is Tony Bloom.

As long as he is here, we will be ok.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm sure Gus will be here next season and I seriously hope he is but for me the only guy at the Albion that matters 100% is Tony Bloom.

As long as he is here, we will be ok.

Very much this.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not overly upset that Gus would go to Norwich (and almost inevitably be sacked a year or two later) but the thought of Vicente playing in yellow and green does my head in :censored::censored:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You have more faith in our leader ( who cannot shut up about the Premier League) not being tempted by a step up to a division that is very difficult to get into. We are nowhere near ready to make that step up with our current sqaud. although we flattered to deceive until we came to the sharp end of the season. IF he's offered the Swansea job I reckon he'll take it as we are not even close to promotion as things stand at the moment. I think it's you that lives on a strange ( and very naively loyal) planet :lolol:

We'll soon find out just how loyal/wanted Gus is I guess

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You've got to love some of the comments on here about 'Lambert being a miserable wanker anyway' etc. :lolol:

Norwich City Football Club Fans Community - Wrath of the Barclay

Have some of your own medicine Norwich wankers

I'm almost tempted to register on their board just to make a point........................

........................... but that would be descending to their level :lol:

edit: The Pink 'Un makes hilarious reading this morning - what goes round comes round :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports