Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of squad quality

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
IMHO that's not entirely fair. There were plenty of periods of play when we were going hell for leather to try and get something out of the game. Unfortunately that first 10 minutes of the 2nd half wasn't one of those periods. In fact it was so much at odds with the style of play in the first half that you'd have to conclude that they were sent out for the second half with instructions to play that way.

This not true either hughton himself in interview after game admitted the first half was poor and we didn’t really start playing until after they had scored so there was not plenty of periods of play where we were going hell for leather . Not sure what game u were watching starting to play in the 54th I’m after a team has scored is not good enough but I’m afraid this is hughton . It’s been a great ride but going forward I’m not sure he has anything else to give

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit of both tho shirley? :shrug:

Be interesting to see how many of the 22 players on the pitch are usually in our half at any one time; I would guess at between 15 and 19. Of course, as the play is always closer to our goal, it is inevitable that a mistake often leads to a goal against us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This not true either hughton himself in interview after game admitted the first half was poor and we didn’t really start playing until after they had scored so there was not plenty of periods of play where we were going hell for leather . Not sure what game u were watching starting to play in the 54th I’m after a team has scored is not good enough but I’m afraid this is hughton . It’s been a great ride but going forward I’m not sure he has anything else to give

It’s true, CH admitted exactly that.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We are a quality centre mid short and a quality striker short. And also need a manager to take us further forward, hit our limit with hughton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are a quality centre mid short and a quality striker short. And also need a manager to take us further forward, hit our limit with hughton.

I suggest we already have a quality forward in Locadia, Andone’s not bad either. Murray is a good squad member but that is what he should be now, not a regular starter.

Agree with CM though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suggest we already have a quality forward in Locadia

Genuine questions - is he good enough to lead the line for 38 PL games next season as a starter, will he score enough goals to keep us up, has he got the aireal ability to win balls played up when against towering PL centre halves?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Agree. Hughton and coaching team must take the lion's share of the blame.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. I say "sadly" as I have been a great fan of CH, but today was just so depressing -we seemed to settle for 0-0 throughout the first half, and of course then had to chase the game, when attacking verve is seemingly low in our priorities. And this is hardly the first time this season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Genuine questions - is he good enough to lead the line for 38 PL games next season as a starter, will he score enough goals to keep us up, has he got the aireal ability to win balls played up when against towering PL centre halves?

Nobody plays 38 games upfront do they? I know he’s said he’s not good in the air but I’ve seen a couple of good headers from him. He has plenty more to his game though. I think he is good enough for a team at our level but how many games has he started as a number 9? He is apparently our most used sub and I’d like to see him start more games but it won’t happen this season as we won’t change our style of play with our perilous position.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whilst we do desperately need a Stephens and Murray upgrade now, I honestly don’t think our squad does lack quality. I’m now firmly of the belief that the management - coaches/assistants included, not just CH - don’t know how to get the best out of them.

When you look at all of the new first team signings over the last 2 years, apart from the question mark over AJ and possibly Locadia still, as individual players they’ve all been good signings who have improved us already with more to come as they’re the right age. All of the other signings have had positive individual threads on here at some point.

My biggest issue is the way they’re used or not in games. Hughton has looked tactically short of nearly every manager in the league this season and also you’ve got to question whether they’re being coached properly when we seem to be regressing as a team from last season despite having better individual players.

I also have concerns over the message or motivation that’s being given to them before the games and at half time as there have been far too many games like today this season.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

So why didn’t he do something about it? That’s his job FFS.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nobody plays 38 games upfront do they? I know he’s said he’s not good in the air but I’ve seen a couple of good headers from him. He has plenty more to his game though. I think he is good enough for a team at our level but how many games has he started as a number 9? He is apparently our most used sub and I’d like to see him start more games but it won’t happen this season as we won’t change our style of play with our perilous position.

OK then, for say 30 PL games as our starting centre forward (most other PL clubs don’t keep rotating their no 9, unless they have injuries or all are duds).

If we don’t want to be in the relegation mix mire all season, every season, don’t we need a quality centre forward?

Perhaps Locadia is that player, but I can’t see it just now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’d love to see 2 new recruits in our first team CM, of proven quality.

Yes. I don't know how much of our PL bonanza of £100M we spent last summer - £60 - £70M? - this time round it needs to be spent on no more than two players, but looking at £30M plus for each player. Players to improve the team, not to merely add to the squad. CMs with goals in them, and the ability to control, dominate and generally run games - we can leave out and out strikers for the year after.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. I don't know how much of our PL bonanza of £100M we spent last summer - £60 - £70M? - this time round it needs to be spent on no more than two players, but looking at £30M plus for each player. Players to improve the team, not to merely add to the squad. CMs with goals in them, and the ability to control, dominate and generally run games - we can leave out and out strikers for the year after.

If need be, exactly that. We still have Andone and Locadia as strikers, and even veteran Murray. The quality CM’s would feed them chances.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whilst we do desperately need a Stephens and Murray upgrade now, I honestly don’t think our squad does lack quality. I’m now firmly of the belief that the management - coaches/assistants included, not just CH - don’t know how to get the best out of them.

When you look at all of the new first team signings over the last 2 years, apart from the question mark over AJ and possibly Locadia still, as individual players they’ve all been good signings who have improved us already with more to come as they’re the right age. All of the other signings have had positive individual threads on here at some point.

My biggest issue is the way they’re used or not in games. Hughton has looked tactically short of nearly every manager in the league this season and also you’ve got to question whether they’re being coached properly when we seem to be regressing as a team from last season despite having better individual players.

I also have concerns over the message or motivation that’s being given to them before the games and at half time as there have been far too many games like today this season.

Good points, I’d love to see more variation in the way we play and that surely is down to the manager. We are so predictable and are now suffering because of it imo.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think the squad has quality, but if we are to survive in this league they all have to be on the top of their game in every match. Today there were too many individuals giving a below par performance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Totally agree with you. On the very limited chances Locadia and Andone have been given upfront I think they have both looked like they can affect games and score goals. Unfortunately Hughton is happy with a 35 year old who can’t move.

The squad is not the problem here. The manager is. Sure we lack quality in areas but we have the players to stay up comfortably and put in decent performances on a regular basis. They’re just dragged down by having the dithering, cautious, rigid Hughton in charge.
Almost right. The squad is not the problem here. The TEAM is. We have spent the last two windows improving the squad - there is more depth to our cover now - but none of the incoming players have really improved the first team, not much anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here