Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of squad quality

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
But Drones are able to see what is going on and can be instructed to act accordingly !

Perhaps the instructions were lacking or the 'controller' stopped working !
I thought drones were kicked out of the hive for being lazy

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was it Hughton's tactics or was it the players attitudes? I don't think he sent, say, March on and told him to stand back and watch and attack and when the ball is cleared in his direction to watch it come out go beyond him before getting off his heels and chasing after it. I don't think he told Knockaert to keep running across field and ignore all the passes he could make. I don't think he told Murray to stand offside so often.

The nature of a group of people being treated as a singular means the louder voices are the heard ones, and so it makes brighton fans seem a bit bipolar - we wn and the positive fans are the loudest talking about how great we are, we lose and the negative ones are loudest talking about how terrible we are. Our wins v Huddersfield and Palace and Millwall were not as impressive as they seemed. We shouldn't be scraping a 1-0 win v a (then) practically relegated side at home. But it was our first win in a couple of months so was important. Palace have poor home form, and did as much to lose that game as we did to win it, but it was our rivals on their patch and meant a double over them. We should not need penalties to beat a struggling championship side that is also weakened by injuries and ineligible players.

Today's result was predictable. Southampton are fighting for survival so would be hungry and determined. We just booked our place in the FA cup semi-final in (should have been unnecessarily) dramatic fashion, with a lot of focus around the club being the FA cup. You get it in every round - a big cup win (drama/underdogs etc) followed by a league slip up.

Chris has shown himself to put the league above the cup. For the quarter final we had an international break to follow the game, and while they were weakened, millwall have had success against premier league teams, and at that point there was a positive feeling around the league - the couple of wins had flattered our position, so he put out a stronger side than previous rounds. With this slip up, followed by a likely way loss v Chelsea and it'll be a different ball game. Opponents who are clear favourites to beat us, who there is no shame in losing to, while in the middle of a heavy fixture list. We're totally going to be fielding the b-team in the semi-final. And the players in the first team can't complain; if they'd put some effort in, showed some desire, some hunger, and got something from this game we'd look a lot more comfortable in the league and Chris might have risked them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've said this before but at the start of the season, I fully expected is to be where we are now. It's OBVIOUS that were not as good as teams in the top half, but on our day we can give teams in the bottom half (and the odd top half team) a run for their money.

Unfortunately, the same is true for the rest of the teams down there, hence getting done by Burnley and Southampton. Not quite anyone can beat anyone, but close to it...

Yes the squad has got better, but so have the other squads. It shocks me that people are shocked we are in the position we are in!

Anyway, one game at a time. I'm sure we'll survive.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I still think we'll stay up, despite the lifeless performance today. Hopefully we'll have the funds to strengthen again over the summer.

It's very easy to get all doom and gloom after such a crap game.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the squad has enough quality players to survive. But not necessarily to push on to that comfortable mid table zone a la B'muff, Everton, Watford WH etc.

We either need a more adventurous and intelligent manager or some higher quality players. I'd rather see the second option first.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
We have no stars just a squad of worker bees

WE had a star in Dunk...What has happened to him ? Last season he stood head and shoulders above everyone, for the first quarter of this season also....Now he is an also ran.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I still think we'll stay up, despite the lifeless performance today. Hopefully we'll have the funds to strengthen again over the summer.

Unfortunately it's not just one crap performance, it's many. It genuinely feels and looks like several players just can't be bothered. Perhaps they know they won't be around next season if we stay up.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I think the squad has enough quality players to survive. But not necessarily to push on to that comfortable mid table zone a la B'muff, Everton, Watford WH etc.

We either need a more adventurous and intelligent manager or some higher quality players. I'd rather see the second option first.

This I agree with .

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Top quality players are circa £50m + each and can pick where they go. Man City , Real Madrid or Brighton ??

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8840192 said:
I would say we are underperforming rather than lacking quality :shrug:

So the man at the top of the play side of BHAFC isn't doing his job correctly?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree. If we survive, then in the summer we really need to strengthen in every position.

It's lack of capability - pace, precision, moving the ball that bit quicker.

Certainly, the way we set up has to change for next season. It's just not sustainable. That's as long as we stay up. Obviously, the Cardiff game is massive now.

We can't keep looking back at bars struck and penalties not given. We are just not direct or positive enough when it matters e.g. games like today.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hopefully we'll have the funds to strengthen again over the summer.

It's all very well having the funds for better players, and we may end up with a couple, but if the tactics don't change what is the point in wasting money?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes this. However, the OP is correct IMO regarding the level of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Outplayed at the Amex this season by Burnley, Fulham and Stains. Thankfully a Fulham player committed a ridiculous handball to get us draw. Also outplayed by Wolves and West Ham (not my words, but from CH).

We’re not that good are we?

An arrogant fan was the last person interviewed on Radio Sussex 25 minutes ago ... said that we are an established PL club and squad. Joker.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Mediocre squad + unimaginative and conservative manager = stress stress stress and a permanent hope that there are 3 teams worse than us. We've not improved this year, we've stood still and in this division that actually means we've gone backwards.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Tuesday 16th April 7.45 ..Cardiff at home...... A must win ! certainly if we lose to Bournemouth !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here