[Albion] Lack of squad depth will cost us

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The manager being stubborn as shit and playing knackered players for 90 mins doesn't help.

Not looking forward to Saturday.
Not sure I agree with the tone, but I agree with the central point.
RDZ has stuck with a preferred 11 for pretty much all of the season.

Understandable, but it does mean that on a day when pretty much 80% of those 11 needed a rest, he simply didn't have enough experience to step up.

In fairness there is no replacement for our most woefully fatigued player.
It was painful watching Estupinan tonight.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wonder what Gilmore has to do to get a game? Can’t see him hanging around past the summer
He wasn't given a kick in our previous 12 fixtures, so it would have taken something catastrophic to see him get on tonight.

He's clearly not fancied and/or doesn't impress RDZ in training, which makes him very much surplus to requirements as things stand.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haven’t seen any toys chucked out whatsoever.

Seems opinions on football are getting like those in politics, you either completely agree with me or you are an idiot/facist/bedwetter.

Our squad is a little thin when compared to others around us, even more noticeable with injuries to key players. Some of our players are looking tired right now. RDZs choice of starting striker has raised some eyebrows. A European place is looking quite tough now.

But it seems daring to voice concerns like this makes you a Judas. Not so, just a realist who ain’t wearing rose tinted specs. We are having a great season, but we have to want to push onwards. If we aim to stand still we effectively go backwards.

One final thought, what hell was Solly doing almost playing a centre forward role towards the end? He is having a good season, but the shoot on sight policy he or RDZ has chosen is a little optimistic for a one footed player. No, I hold no grudge about the missed penalty, that’s life. But he is not the Messiah, in fact his position is one of those needing an upgrade most urgently. Right winger who cannot cross with right foot :facepalm:
You have completely misunderstood @Bold Seagull

This thread, looking for physical, mental and metaphysical reasons why we lost one game, as if it has revealed a Great Truth about the state of the Albion, is absolutely pathetic.

I think we should sack the board now, and bring in someone with some real money, and stop pissing about.

Or maybe we should just get used to the fact we are just little old Brighton.

Or maybe we should, er, yes, sack the board for not bringing in a proven striker. Insert BW2 (anywhere).

Whatever - there must be a reason, and if there is a reason there must be a cure. And blame.

Or.....perhaps not.

I'm in the perhaps not camp.

It will take more than one shit result to dent my belief in the club and its doings, in this, the best of all seasons.

So far.

So, there.

:wink:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How big a squad are we meant to have? Played without Lamptey, Ferguson, Lallana and without a fully fit Welbeck and Veltman. Bar the top 4 most clubs would struggle with out those

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Let’s just forget about European football
It’s an interesting thought, “ let’s forget about European football “ on one hand an Albion first, a tour of Europe I here and all the glitz and glamour, on the other hand one thinks of pointless Thursday nights away in the outer reaches of Finland with a small squad ahead of a Sunday game away to Aston Villa all in the name of the Euro Conference league or whatever it’s called? From where I’m sitting unless I see intention from Uncke Tone of squad strengthening then it’s a no from me Clive.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can’t believe professional football players can’t play a game on Sunday , then on Wednesday,
I suppose they will be tired on Saturday as well
ridiculous
Unbelievable. Where did anyone say they can’t play those games? Being 1 or 2% off the pace in elite level sport makes a massive difference.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Unbelievable. Where did anyone say they can’t play those games? Being 1 or 2% off the pace in elite level sport makes a massive difference.
For me it's the mental concentration more than the physical effort - the way we play out from the back demands 100% concentration...it must be exhausting... especially when we don't take our chances

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Can’t believe professional football players can’t play a game on Sunday , then on Wednesday,
I suppose they will be tired on Saturday as well
ridiculous
100% agree Wednesday,Saturday,Thursday ,Monday should be doable for a pro athlete surely

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not forgetting Sarmiento, who was looking like a better prospect than Enciso before he was injured.
I don’t think he was.

Sure, he is a year+ ahead in his development and is the better player now but Enciso remains the better prospect.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He wasn't given a kick in our previous 12 fixtures, so it would have taken something catastrophic to see him get on tonight.

He's clearly not fancied and/or doesn't impress RDZ in training, which makes him very much surplus to requirements as things stand.
Or he impresses in training but is still behind Caicedo and AliMac in ability (no shame in that)...in which case it's a mistake he hasn't been rotated in sometimes to keep him match ready for this incredibly tiring run in.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Bizarre that so many people who think Enciso and Buonanotte are too young and inexperienced are calling for 21 year old Billy Gilmour off the back of about 4 good games in his career and a dire season at Norwich. He's not anywhere near the levels of Mac Allister or Caicedo and RDZ will have seen that in the winter when he did play a few games. Nothing to suggest he's up to it.

Most squads get one long term injury (Moder), to get a career ender alongside it (Mwepu) is tragic and unfortunate. But to expect a majority of Lamptey, Lallana, Welbeck, Webster and Sarmiento to be fit is a big ask. You sign sicknotes you get injuries, unfortunately.

Even though it was very much an off day last night, for the most part night, we were the better side for the majority, had a couple of good chances - the Mitoma one was a sitter. Their goals were a streaky deflection, a Caicedo gift and a stupid mistake by Dunk. In short, we can't afford to make similar mistakes on Saturday.

A bit of an overreaction by many, but ultimately a very disappointing few days indeed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For me it's the mental concentration more than the physical effort - the way we play out from the back demands 100% concentration...it must be exhausting... especially when we don't take our chances
We made 719 passes but our completion rate was below its normal level, something like 87% meaning over 90+ passes gave the ball back to the opposition. It did look like tired minds a bit, as @Commander said in elite sport you only need your levels to dip slightly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports